• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Used the M25N (which I rarely do) on my way back from the west country Sunday afternoon & it genuinely put the fear of God in me, some peoples driving is horrendous nowadays.

Driving 3 feet off someones bumper, undertaking & veering from the feeder/slip lane right across to the fast lane seems standard practice now.
I saw one guy put on his brakes then reverse back down the chevrons on the slip road because he’d obviously taken the wrong junction!

I just don’t understand why people would risk theirs & others lives just to get their destination a little quicker. Madness..
I use M25N for trips to / from North Devon once a month and find driving clock-wise is far worse than going anti-clockwise, tail-gating and speeding is the norm. It’s nothing more than a public racetrack!

I poodle alone with the trucks in lanes 1 and 2 these days . 60 mph. you can often get 100 yards of road to yourself for ages even when its busy. obviously at the big junctions you want to move out a lane or 2 for joining traffic.. 'most' truck drivers are pretty good..
Outside lanes you see brake lights going on and off in the combat sport that happens out there

I use M25N for trips to / from North Devon once a month and find driving clock-wise is far worse than going anti-clockwise, tail-gating and speeding is the norm. It’s nothing more than a public racetrack!
Speeding, on the M25 - jeez whenever I do the a127 to M1 trip I'm lucky to get up to 70mph let alone past it. There also seems to be speed cameras every half a mile or so. Come to think about it thou strangely I agree on the clockwise v anti clockwise thing.

I poodle alone with the trucks in lanes 1 and 2 these days . 60 mph. you can often get 100 yards of road to yourself for ages even when its busy. obviously at the big junctions you want to move out a lane or 2 for joining traffic.. 'most' truck drivers are pretty good..
Outside lanes you see brake lights going on and off in the combat sport that happens out there
If ever there was to be a “How to travel on the M25 guide” your post would sum it up,spot on Piers.

There are also those idiots who think it’s safe to tow their caravan / trailer at an illegal 70mph (sometimes higher) on motorways. Highly dangerous and most vans are balanced incorrectly, weaving is a very common sight especially when they start overtaking.

They're about to start major roadworks on the M25 between J24 and J27 (clockwise but looks to be some in place on the anti-clock side around J25 for 6-7 miles) until Spring 2025 so there will be a roughly 12-mile stretch of 50MPH with average speed cameras in place for quite some time.

This is to install yet more emergency stopping points as they didn't put enough in the first time or the second time so they're going for attempt number 3 now.

They're about to start major roadworks on the M25 between J24 and J27 (clockwise but looks to be some in place on the anti-clock side around J25 for 6-7 miles) until Spring 2025 so there will be a roughly 12-mile stretch of 50MPH with average speed cameras in place for quite some time.

This is to install yet more emergency stopping points as they didn't put enough in the first time or the second time so they're going for attempt number 3 now.
Those emergency stopping points have been slated by 2 different recovery firms on youtube. They say they're nowhere near long enough and very dangerous. And when 2 cars are in the same emergency stopping point, sometimes the break down truck can't get in there. One said it's incredible that not enough thought has gone into them.

SO, why has it become so popular to start every interview on TV with word 'so'? It's totally inept grammatically.

Cue responses to this post to start with 'so'. It's just not funny.

SO, why has it become so popular to start every interview on TV with word 'so'? It's totally inept grammatically.

It's not inept because spoken language has no grammatical structure. There was an interesting small piece on this on QI last night on BBC2. It's essentially a non-semantic filler, useful in signalling intention. Written language is codified, so must adhere to certain rules. Spoken language is spontaneous, so the rules are harder to comply with.

It's not inept because spoken language has no grammatical structure. There was an interesting small piece on this on QI last night on BBC2. It's essentially a non-semantic filler, useful in signalling intention. Written language is codified, so must adhere to certain rules. Spoken language is spontaneous, so the rules are harder to comply with.
Well, at least you didn't start your post with 'so' Naps, so thank you for that. Whatever has been said about it, it still gets on my tits, big time.

Is that why KM starts pretty much every sentence with, "Listen"?

I do find that quite funny.

The footpath in Stadium Way blocked with all Stephen Eagles used Toyota's. Not a problem for me, I'll walk in the road but there was an gentleman of advanced years wishing to use it this morning who had to turn back.

eBay seller rescinding a sale, on an item I just won. Was a bargain, but refusing to ship and has refunded my payment.

Contacted eBay and they’re not interested

Those emergency stopping points have been slated by 2 different recovery firms on youtube. They say they're nowhere near long enough and very dangerous. And when 2 cars are in the same emergency stopping point, sometimes the break down truck can't get in there. One said it's incredible that not enough thought has gone into them.
I thought `smart` motorways had been cancelled

The mileage here is enormous..

So like I said and then She said .. etc.

My fave is. ‘So I literally saw it with my own eyes’

Is there any other way ?

I thought `smart` motorways had been cancelled
Nope. I think they gave up on the idea of having them all over the Country.
Look how short these emergency stopping points are.

smart-motorway-emergency-refuge-area.jpg

Nope. I think they gave up on the idea of having them all over the Country.
Look how short these emergency stopping points are.

smart-motorway-emergency-refuge-area.jpg
The thing is they don't need to be any longer if they're used correctly. It's supposed to work that the left hand lane is closed around the refuge point when a car pulls in. That way they have the left hand lane to accelerate, I.e. the refuge point is ONLY to keep your car out of the way. Once a car has left and it's back up to speed the lane reopens.

The problem is that almost no-one pays attention to the signs closing the lane so it becomes incredibly dangerous to exit.

Personally I think anyone with half a brain could have told whoever came up with this idea that it wouldn't work because it is too much of a change to what people are used to.

Problem is you can’t guarantee a break-down will happen anywhere near a yellow zone so there’s total reliance that someone is actually awake at Mission Control and noticed the inside lane needs to be red-crossed immediately - which is never going to happen - by which time your vehicle will likely already have been crushed. Far from Smart more like Witless. Cost almost £900m with several years of roadworks / holdups for the Smart section to Theale on M4, not improved the road one bit.

Back