• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What's wrong?

• Everything is wrong - Brown out!

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • We need a striker

Votes: 41 22.2%
  • We play the wrong formation/tactics

Votes: 52 28.1%
  • A mixture of personnel and tactics

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • Nothing is wrong

Votes: 39 21.1%
  • Bart/Abstain/OBL

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters
Why is it Bents pulls of wonder saves virtually every game yet down the other end their keeper hardly breaks sweat.

Honestly it's not hard,cross the ball and have bodies in the area,never let our forward become so detached from his mates.

Forwards x 2 playing yards apart and not the blinking lone guy being tormented by the CB's,absolute mental tactic especially at home.
I take it you didn't go to the Brighton game? Wonder save from their keeper to deny Wordsworth.

Ade Akinbiyi. Experienced striker at all levels. Doing his coaching badges and from Hackney. Surely someone like this would even consider part-time coaching. Ade is used here as an example but I am sure there are a lot of capable attack coaches looking for a chance to shine.

Ade Akinbiyi. Experienced striker at all levels. Doing his coaching badges and from Hackney. Surely someone like this would even consider part-time coaching. Ade is used here as an example but I am sure there are a lot of capable attack coaches looking for a chance to shine.

Didn't we nearly sign him at one point? Would be a good appointment and we all know PB likes adding to his back room staff.

You think experienced players like Mooney & Hunt need this?

We have had a lot of experienced strikers of late. Corr, Barnard, Eastwood, Harris, Mooney and Hunt for example. But they have all struggled to produce under the system PB advocates. PB has himself admitted to limited attack knowledge. If you had a coach responsible for that department it would relieve PB of that nuisance and people like Mooney and Hunt would have someone setting them up that is on their wavelength.

As I said in a previous post give Hunt the role. But other 'teammates' may not take to their peer handling matters. Hard to say.

I don't think there is much wrong really. I'd like to see us play two upfront for most home games and the occasional away fixture, but we just need Mooney and the Pig to start scoring from the chances which we do create. We have some tough games at the moment - Swindon are one of the best teams in the division, Coventry next up are no slouches either. We have a slightly easier run after that - Peterborough, Shrewsbury, Millwall (they'll be difficult opponents!), Scunthorpe, Crewe and Burton. After we've played eleven matches I think we'll have a better idea of our chances this season.

We have had a lot of experienced strikers of late. Corr, Barnard, Eastwood, Harris, Mooney and Hunt for example. But they have all struggled to produce under the system PB advocates. PB has himself admitted to limited attack knowledge. If you had a coach responsible for that department it would relieve PB of that nuisance and people like Mooney and Hunt would have someone setting them up that is on their wavelength.

As I said in a previous post give Hunt the role. But other 'teammates' may not take to their peer handling matters. Hard to say.

Why would you ever need a forward coach for these experienced players when they arrive at Southend for one last payday. They all relied on pace which had deserted them a few years before they signed. If it was down to PB why aren't they scoring for anyone else.

Why would you ever need a forward coach for these experienced players when they arrive at Southend for one last payday. They all relied on pace which had deserted them a few years before they signed. If it was down to PB why aren't they scoring for anyone else.

Why sign them then?

Well as per usual you have your own personal and critical view of my opinion. Please feel free to continue with your assertions as I will do mine. Personally i see more sense in my constructive suggestions than in your constant sniping, griping and criticising.

Maybe if we'd signed Noel Hunt 3/4 weeks earlier and he was match fit things would be different.

For me, Hunt is our best striker and neither Mooney not Pigott are the ideal partner to play alongside him and he is at his best with a partner. Worth wondering whether we would've signed Mooney had we known that Hunt was likely to sign. Someone with a bit of pace to make those runs and get on the end of his flick ons and knock downs and we will be alright. Tactically I don't think we're making the most of what we've got but primarily because we don't have the personnel to make it effective. I'd like to see Hunt and Pigott up top together again as they looked good against Brighton in probably our best performance of the season.

And sign McLoughlin. We really need to stop attacking down one wing only, so predictable and we never have any width.

from
Well as per usual you have your own personal and critical view of my opinion. Please feel free to continue with your assertions as I will do mine. Personally i see more sense in my constructive suggestions than in your constant sniping, griping and criticising.

By all means be constructive but you never are every post is a dig at PB.

Regards a forward coach, have you seen the match highlights from Saturday. Hunt cushions a perfect header down for Payne who scuffs it wide. The build up the movement the awareness the understanding the late arrival of Jack and the pace of the header all perfect. Is there anyone out there who thinks Jack needs a forward coach to explain which bit of that attack we could improve upon.

You think experienced players like Mooney & Hunt need this?

Yes, because in 15 years of playing football its unlikely anyone told them how to be a striker.

We had the same comments last season when Corr wasnt scoring. Said at the time it was nothing to do with coaching and simply because he was playing with his back to goal and lo and behold in 442 he started scoring, and goes to Cambridge and scored 4 already

Maybe they have a better attacking coach :dim:

Maybe if we'd signed Noel Hunt 3/4 weeks earlier and he was match fit things would be different.

For me, Hunt is our best striker and neither Mooney not Pigott are the ideal partner to play alongside him and he is at his best with a partner. Worth wondering whether we would've signed Mooney had we known that Hunt was likely to sign. Someone with a bit of pace to make those runs and get on the end of his flick ons and knock downs and we will be alright. Tactically I don't think we're making the most of what we've got but primarily because we don't have the personnel to make it effective. I'd like to see Hunt and Pigott up top together again as they looked good against Brighton in probably our best performance of the season.

And sign McLoughlin. We really need to stop attacking down one wing only, so predictable and we never have any width.

Why do you think Mooney or Pigott couldnt partner him? Id like to see Mooney up there with him personally. If its just pace that matters then you might as well put Weston there. Obviously if we could bring in someone with pace who can actually score thats even better.

Last comment is spot on though, Worrall caused them problems all game Saturday but every time Atkinson got it things went downhill. He has a place in the side at times because his work rate/industriousness can be a benefit but at home we need someone more attacking instead.

from

By all means be constructive but you never are every post is a dig at PB.

Regards a forward coach, have you seen the match highlights from Saturday. Hunt cushions a perfect header down for Payne who scuffs it wide. The build up the movement the awareness the understanding the late arrival of Jack and the pace of the header all perfect. Is there anyone out there who thinks Jack needs a forward coach to explain which bit of that attack we could improve upon.

Tosh. I have covered numerous matters and not just the issue of PB. Furthermore, as stated, PB has attack coaching short comings and I have made a constructive suggestion that may be of assistance to him. That is not an attack that is floating an idea that may help.

You talk about Saturdays highlights. Well whilst at the game I and thousands more can see a possible benefit from having a recognised attack coach. You cite the move where Payne makes a gaff and somehow feel better coaching would be of no use to him?

Aguerro, Suarez, Benteke, et al You think they do not have attack coaches?

Tosh. I have covered numerous matters and not just the issue of PB. Furthermore, as stated, PB has attack coaching short comings and I have made a constructive suggestion that may be of assistance to him. That is not an attack that is floating an idea that may help.

You talk about Saturdays highlights. Well whilst at the game I and thousands more can see a possible benefit from having a recognised attack coach. You cite the move where Payne makes a gaff and somehow feel better coaching would be of no use to him?

I think "when you shoot hit the target" would be something he probably already knows ?:smile:

I think "when you shoot hit the target" would be something he probably already knows ?:smile:

You would think:unsure: Attack coaching is about positional sense, stance, tactics, technique and so much more. All players still need good habit training, new learning, technical practice and a lad as young as Payne will need more than most. I did leave out Lukakku from my list as Everton have Graeme Jones there as assistant manager. Not sure what he brings to the strikers table :smile:

Silly me I forgot we are one of Europe's super powers. I'll remember that on a freezing windy day up the A12 at Col U and one of our players balloons a shot over the cross bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back