• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southampton Shrimper

Team Eggheads
Apologies if this has been posted before...

Only ten days to go to the new season, and of course once the nine months of joy, frustration and nail-biting are over we have the World Cup to look forward to!

The World Cup Final is to be played on 9 July 2006 in the Olympic Stdium in Berlin. This stadium, along with most of the other World Cup stadia in Germany, has had an extensive refit. The stadium is the home ground for Hertha Berlin, who finished 4th in the Bundesliga last season.

A friend of mine spotted a board marking all the major dates in the history of Hertha Berlin. If I've understood him correctly, I think it's located within their club shop, where they have a mini-museum section.

This board lists all the club's major achievements - championship titles, cup final appearances and so on, and the fact that they beat Southend United in 1910!!

This would be the point where I provide pictorial evidence, but that looks a bit too complicated for my simple brain, so if anyone's interested, I could always email it to someone who'll be able to post the photo!

I can do words, I just can't do pictures!

The end of season tour to Germany in 1910 - the cash-strapped club seemed to deem it fit to celebrate relegation from the Southern League First Division with an expensive overseas tour - saw Southend United win five out of their six matches, including Berlin 4-0 and Oxford United 10-0 (this match is often regarded as the first ever match of German soil between two English clubs). Their only defeat was at the hands of Berlina Hertna (Hertha Berlin), a game the Shrimpers lost 3-1.

Two Southend players were stopped by German customs after they tried to "smuggle" tobacco and a pack of cards totalling "more than two shillings duty" into the country.

WS

As this was such a hugely historical occasion - Southend being the only opposition football team mentioned on Hertha's "history wall" - could the club not arrange a centenary rematch at the Olympic Stadium in 2010?

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southampton Shrimper @ July 27 2005,22:27)]As this was such a hugely historical occasion - Southend being the only opposition football team mentioned on Hertha's "history wall" - could the club not arrange a centenary rematch at the Olympic Stadium in 2010?

smile.gif
I doubt that they could meet the time constraint ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ July 27 2005,22:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southampton Shrimper @ July 27 2005,22:27)]As this was such a hugely historical occasion - Southend being the only opposition football team mentioned on Hertha's "history wall" - could the club not arrange a centenary rematch at the Olympic Stadium in 2010?

smile.gif

WS
Perhaps they'll release a commemorative shirt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ July 28 2005,08:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ July 27 2005,22:14)]
[b said:

smile.gif

WS
Perhaps they'll release a commemorative shirt
That will be late.

I like this story! I went to Berlin on a stag do learlier this year and we caught a Hertha game at the Olympic Stadium.

They're now the team I follow in Germany, although of course should we ever play them I'll still be in the Southend corner
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southampton Shrimper @ July 27 2005,12:22)]A friend of mine spotted a board marking all the major dates in the history of Hertha Berlin. If I've understood him correctly, I think it's located within their club shop, where they have a mini-museum section.

This board lists all the club's major achievements - championship titles, cup final appearances and so on, and the fact that they beat Southend United in 1910!!
How cool is this!

Hertha Berlin - official history

Check out the second section:

<span style='color:blue'>1902-1914: The development of the club’s structure

In 1904 Hertha moved to Gesundbrunnen, in the district of Wedding, with the sup-port of restaurant owner Joseph Schebera, who paid the rent on the new ground. The stadium, which was little more than a fenced pitch, became known by the fans as the “Plumpe”.

In the season 1905/1906 BFC Hertha 92 won the inaugural Berlin Championship. On the 4th of May 1910 Hertha beat the English club Southend United 3:1 at home. The victory against a team from the birthplace of football brought a lot of attention on the club.</span>

cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Well, I&#39;ve e-mailed one of the club&#39;s press officers and asked if she could e-mail me a photo of said board in the club shop / museum. I&#39;ll let you know if I hear anything&#33;&#33;

smile.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 28 2005,15:39)]Well, I've e-mailed one of the club's press officers and asked if she could e-mail me a photo of said board in the club shop / museum.  I'll let you know if I hear anything!!

smile.gif

Matt
I could email you the photo if you just give me an email address!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Aug. 01 2005,17:06)]Or me. How do you put a picture on SZ anyway?
best bet is to email Leeboy. Or go to photobucket.com or save it and enter as an &quot;image&quot; using one of the buttons above.

Back