• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Introduction

Thanks King of berks for renewing old memories. You are right we did follow Warspite, Rodney and Nelson also. I was aboard H.M.S. Roberts (Monitor) Were you on the Warspite ? Remember being with her at Sicily, Italy and D Day. While on shore leave in Port Said I met one of my pals from home who was aboard the Nelson. The Roberts was scrapped after being made gunnery training ship. Would have liked to made a visit on one of my trips back but too late. Thanks for your reply.

My word ! Those photos are incredible ! Thats the Water Chute in the background. I used to walk to school (Southchurch Hall Boys) and i would cut through the Kursaal. On day, my friend and I decided we would push ourselves out in one of the boats and in the process I fell in the water. Had to go back home ( won't repeat what my Dad called me) Looking at the team photo reminded me of how the goalkeepers used to wear wool sweaters. Just think one of those two in the photo might have been the one that carried me home. Thanks for sharing.

Bolton Shrimper you are right about Mike Lapper, he played for the Crew and is now an assistant coach. Tell you a little story about him. Early days of the Crew when Mike was playing and we even had Brad Freidel in goal. The team had a family outing with the players sitting at tables signing autographs. Mike an Brad were at one table and I went up threw my Southend Utd scarf in front of MIke and said " Up the Blues " I thought he was about to pass out ! said he had a great time at Roots Hall and enjoyed the fan support of the team. Every once in a while I might catch his eye at a game and he will give me a thumbs up. Good memories.

My word ! Those photos are incredible ! Thats the Water Chute in the background. I used to walk to school (Southchurch Hall Boys) and i would cut through the Kursaal. On day, my friend and I decided we would push ourselves out in one of the boats and in the process I fell in the water. Had to go back home ( won't repeat what my Dad called me) Looking at the team photo reminded me of how the goalkeepers used to wear wool sweaters. Just think one of those two in the photo might have been the one that carried me home. Thanks for sharing.

According to team line-ups from 1930/1 & 1931/2 seasons the number 1 keeper was a chap called Billy Moore other keepers used around that time were Dave Whitelaw, Tom Mckenna and Peter McKenna. Actually the 1931/2 season was quite a good season for Southend 15 games unbeaten at the start & 15 games unbeaten at the end, pity about the bit in the middle.

Some other well known players of the Kursaal days included Dave Robinson, Jack French, Jimmy Shankley, Dickie Donoven

Also 1930/1 season I think was the time we played Clapton Orient at Wembley Stadium.

londonblue. The Jolly Boys never left the seafront at Southend. Prior to setting up the group my Dad travelled the vauderville circuit performing in South Africa and even made an appearance in New York. he was a comedian and sang songs. My Mother died when I was nine and for some reason I finished up sleeping in a small bed in my Dads room and he used to sing some of the old songs while he was getting dressed. Quite a character ! he died 1953 the same year that I imigrated to the U.S.

Mounted on the wall at Canvey Jobcentre is a photo of Westborough Juniors football team 1963/64 with your good self holding the ball and me standing at the back looking very shy and retiring.

I too graduated through the Westborough Junior School and their football team; shame they didn't have any playing fields and we had to bus to Prince Avenue for matches and games lessons. Couple or so years before you, though.

Bolton Shrimper you are right about Mike Lapper, he played for the Crew and is now an assistant coach. Tell you a little story about him. Early days of the Crew when Mike was playing and we even had Brad Freidel in goal. The team had a family outing with the players sitting at tables signing autographs. Mike an Brad were at one table and I went up threw my Southend Utd scarf in front of MIke and said " Up the Blues " I thought he was about to pass out ! said he had a great time at Roots Hall and enjoyed the fan support of the team. Every once in a while I might catch his eye at a game and he will give me a thumbs up. Good memories.

Love this. Mike Lapper will always be a cult hero for me, it seemed so exotic having an American play for us and I recall him being very good (then again I though Phil Gridelet was great, so what do I know). Next time you catch his eye give him a big thumbs up from the ShrimperZone massive.

What an excellent thread.
I am an East Fife fan myself but this forum is a great read.

What an excellent thread.
I am an East Fife fan myself but this forum is a great read.

Nice one Mike. I think the history of other Football Clubs, who played for them & where they played is interesting. I have already looked at a bit of East Fife history, your old ground looked like a right old 'proper' football ground.

I mean did you know we once signed a player from Gnome Athletic or we had a player called Seth Plumb, all very interesting.

Cue the Daryl Flahaven jokes.
Cue the fruit releted player name jokes

I was there that day. I used to love it there. It was a fantastic grass track, but the stadium was a dump. I would bet very small with combination forecasts. Until I latched on to a sprint dog (200Metres) called Kilnagleary Gent. It won about 6 on the trot, as it always broke out of the traps first and kept just holding on. Because it kept winning in a photo or by a nose or head, I kept getting about evens on it with the on track bookies. I ended up placing bigger bets on it. Won a nice few quid. As a young man, it was happy days and more to spend at Zhivago's Disco.

The other thing was as a young lad I went to watch Southend v Spurs youth in the combination league at that Grainger stadium. Spurs had the reputation for the best youth set up at the time. The crowd was about 150. Spurs won about 7-2.
A few of us thought we were good at football. That was a big and disappointing reality check.

Having fixed my broken rememberer, I actually think that game was a South East Counties league match, which was the youth teams, and not the combination league which I think was the reserves.
It was about 1972, and I think that was the last season they played the youth games, or any other football there.

Just caught up with this thread - great postings Les (and everybody else) - I too remember watching Pegasus at Grainger Road - don`t ask me the date though :unsure:

Just caught up with this thread - great postings Les (and everybody else) - I too remember watching Pegasus at Grainger Road - don`t ask me the date though :unsure:

I went to a few games to but can't think of the reason why..I seem to recall vaguely that they were going to be the next big local team, but that is about is as I was a bit young.

Southend have played at Grainger Road rather more recently than 1955. Pegasus Athletic, a local non-league side and founder members of the Essex Senior League, played there. Southend United "A" team were also members of that League but in addition to them playing there, I'm sure I recall going there when Southend took a "first XI" for a friendly one Sunday afternoon (Ernie Shepherd was managing Pegasus). Doesn't seem to have made its way into the excellent SUFC Database site though. I know I'm getting old, but pretty sure I didn't imagine it; early 70s I'd say.

I used to go to Grainger Road to watch Pegasus Athletic as the husband of a work colleague played in mid field for them. I remember having mixed emotions when we played Southend United A (including Gordon Hill). I think the season was 1971/72.

Very enjoyable thread this and welcome to this board 'LesGood'. It made me wonder if Les saying he saw his 1st Blues game in the 30's. Are there any Southend fans still living who saw us in the 20's or even before that?

Very enjoyable thread this and welcome to this board 'LesGood'. It made me wonder if Les saying he saw his 1st Blues game in the 30's. Are there any Southend fans still living who saw us in the 20's or even before that?

Cricko invented the pig's bladder ----- not football, just a pig's bladder.

Good memories on this thread for some of us old gits! I used to live behind the Grainger Road stadium in Maldon Road and remember Pegasus playing a few matches there. I think they had a gate of about 800 for their first game which was good for the level they played at. Was also at the last greyhound meeting to be held there, I still have the official racecard. I think the last football match to be played there was in the 60's and was a charity match between the Radio One DJ's and what I think was an ex Southend United XI. Tony Blackburn and Pete Murray played for the DJ's team an there was a decent crowd of around 3000 in attendance.
I think that 1st game attracted that gate ,due to the fact a number of ex blues were in the team, Dereck Woodley I think was one,

Hi Les, glad you like the pics, there are a load more great pics of the Kursaal in the link below (2 pages), including the Water Shute, and this fantastic aerial shot.

http://www.joylandbooks.com/themagiceye/galleries/kursaal-memories.htm

aerialkursaal.jpg

Was not able to bring up the other photo but this one appears to be when my Dad had the Jolly Boys Concert Party. The site is front left across from the Kursaal. I can only see the bandstand. The spaces on either side were where the dodgem track and other rides were when it became "The Jolly Spot" I can also see the building where I was born and lived until I went into the Navy 1942. Also see the jetty right front where I used to fish. Absoloutly amazing ! Sarfen-on-Mud ain't changed all that much ! Thanks for the memories.

Good memories on this thread for some of us old gits! I used to live behind the Grainger Road stadium in Maldon Road and remember Pegasus playing a few matches there. I think they had a gate of about 800 for their first game which was good for the level they played at. Was also at the last greyhound meeting to be held there, I still have the official racecard. I think the last football match to be played there was in the 60's and was a charity match between the Radio One DJ's and what I think was an ex Southend United XI. Tony Blackburn and Pete Murray played for the DJ's team an there was a decent crowd of around 3000 in attendance.

This thread is solid gold! With special thanks to Les for this sensational introduction ... :thumbsup: ... I never thought I'd see the day that the venerable and esteemed 'MR BLUE' would suddenly be seen as a Johnny Come Lately! :hilarious:

Thanks King of berks for renewing old memories. You are right we did follow Warspite, Rodney and Nelson also. I was aboard H.M.S. Roberts (Monitor) Were you on the Warspite ? Remember being with her at Sicily, Italy and D Day. While on shore leave in Port Said I met one of my pals from home who was aboard the Nelson. The Roberts was scrapped after being made gunnery training ship. Would have liked to made a visit on one of my trips back but too late. Thanks for your reply.

Hi Les. No, I never served on Warspite, she was scrapped long before I was born. I've just a keen interest in early 20thC Naval history, so know her pretty well. Also loved the design of Rodney/Nelson. All guns to the fore, as the RN would NEVER be facing away from the enemy!

Back