• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Farage has painted an 'Us vs the World' type image of his party. Making out there's a conspiracy where the audience has been picked out specifically to not like him plays to his narrative. Farage has already said he can't become PM, his target is to make sure that 16% in the polls that say they'll vote for him bother to do so on the day.

I'm not so sure it was misjudged. I am very far from a Farage fan and would never dream of voting for UKIP but I thought it was an effective tactic from him. There are clearly 85% or so that wouldn't contemplate voting for UKIP. Farage can use that to his advantage by turning it into a them and us issue so being jeered looks good to his core because it looks like a "liberal conspiracy to silence UKIP".

UKIP's issue is getting their core support out to vote not trying to broaden their appeal. Taking on the BBC and the audience was an effective way for him to do that.

Is that what you think was the purpose for him? Would it not also be to attract more support from floaters? There must be a fair number of tories (and maybe even some Labour supporters) that would at least consider still voting for UKIP, in which case he has probably alienated some (not all) of those that may have been wavering.

With a swipe at the audience there is also the possibility that he has turned some people against UKIP that would have voted for them. It just wasn't a very sensible thing to do.

Is that what you think was the purpose for him? Would it not also be to attract more support from floaters? There must be a fair number of tories (and maybe even some Labour supporters) that would at least consider still voting for UKIP, in which case he has probably alienated some (not all) of those that may have been wavering.

With a swipe at the audience there is also the possibility that he has turned some people against UKIP that would have voted for them. It just wasn't a very sensible thing to do.

I agree with Neil. Farage isn't concerned with bring up the proportion of UKIP votes nationally, but to make sure that the constituencies where UKIP have good support are converted into seats.

In 2010, their 3.1% of the total vote didn't convert into a seat. Unlike the greens, who had 0.9% but got a seat.

UKIP are going all out for Clacton, Rochester, Thanet and Thurrock. They could bag more as well. Farage is playing to the support he has there, ensuring they come out and actually vote.

I agree with Neil. Farage isn't concerned with bring up the proportion of UKIP votes nationally, but to make sure that the constituencies where UKIP have good support are converted into seats.

In 2010, their 3.1% of the total vote didn't convert into a seat. Unlike the greens, who had 0.9% but got a seat.

UKIP are going all out for Clacton, Rochester, Thanet and Thurrock. They could bag more as well. Farage is playing to the support he has there, ensuring they come out and actually vote.

I'm not saying there is no truth in what he says. But any politician worth his salt would want to increase their share of the vote. By doing what he did he put that in danger, and may well have turned potential voters against.

Moreover, it didn't come over as a calculated risk, it came over as someone talking without thinking, especially when he tried to justify it by saying that they weren't the real audience, and that the real audience was at home. Obviously he's right, but to say it after insulting the studio audience just dug a bigger hole for himself.

I'm not so sure it was misjudged. I am very far from a Farage fan and would never dream of voting for UKIP but I thought it was an effective tactic from him. There are clearly 85% or so that wouldn't contemplate voting for UKIP. Farage can use that to his advantage by turning it into a them and us issue so being jeered looks good to his core because it looks like a "liberal conspiracy to silence UKIP".

UKIP's issue is getting their core support out to vote not trying to broaden their appeal. Taking on the BBC and the audience was an effective way for him to do that.

I agree that he loves to play the outsider and the wronged man but it did seem that he was a bit taken aback by the telling off he got from Dimbleby and he seemed to hold back after that. The HIV comment was a planned attention grab last time round but the minimal or research would have told him that his new scapegoats were inaccurate and right in front of him so not a safe target.

Was not long ago that he was using platitudes that now escape the memory but that were all about the impact UKIP were going to have on politics in general. Now if all he aims to do is get out his core vote and add at best two seats to the two rebranded Tory seats then he has already admitted a new found irrelevance.

I missed this piece afterwards. Can you tell me what he lied about please?
Can't remember to be honest, it started with Cameron not being invited onto the BBC debate and then they all rolled off his tongue from then on. Was quite unashamedly misinforming. He was on right at the start of the program so a look on iplayer will only cost you give minutes if of interest.

For Nigel the longer this per election goes on the less chance he has of getting his seat. UKIP need to get some better profile from their 2 elected MP's AND they need to limit the immigration argument when debating while sticking it to the cost and abuses of the EU/referendum.

People's concern for mass immigration is second in every poll just behind the NHS,Around 70% polled cite their fear and concern.That audience were so far removed from real world voters it was farcical.

People's concern for mass immigration is second in every poll just behind the NHS,Around 70% polled cite their fear and concern.That audience were so far removed from real world voters it was farcical.
There is a difference between having concern and investing in an attitude and a stance that alienates and divides - that is why 70% (if we assume your figure to be accurate) has concerns and only 15% are looking likely to vote UKIP. You should be having words with your poster boy - he gets the attention but he is not getting your message across clearly.

That's not the only thing you'll catch there!

Ill take precautions.

cribbed these paragraphs from an article in a left wing site, thought they were interesting....

Douglas Carswell’s absence from the manifesto launch almost did not register. He was absent from Ukip’s general election campaign launch at the end of March and can barely bring himself even to mention Nigel Farage’s name.

Mark Reckless has always lacked a certain bonhomie, as his former Conservative parliamentary colleagues attest, and has been cut out of the leader’s inner circle. Party resources aren’t flowing into Rochester and Strood to defend the seat as volunteers are being directed to Thanet to fight for Farage and so Reckless too is coming to terms with life as a virtual independent.

His absence from the manifesto launch was also notable. That Ukip’s two sitting MPs had better things to do than present a united front with their leader, speaks volumes about their estrangement from Nigel Farage.

I've just read the audience split released from the BBC in regards to the televised debate. Now I really can't stand Farage, but actually looking at those figures, he really does have a point. Just over 100 were made up of Lab/Libdem/Others, 55 of Con/UKIP and the others undecided. So out of the 200 audience only around 25% were from two parties, that according to the polls make up nearly 50% of the electorate as opposed to the others which also equate to similar figures. I see a big issue for the BBC looming here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back