• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

At home we have scored from open play 13 goals from 16 league games,add two pens making a total of 15.

Exactly 75% of games we all know they will either score nothing or just hit the net once !

Frankly nowhere near good enough !

How can Phil Brown criticise and say that the players were 'young' and didn't have the 'nous' when he picks the side and leaves out the more experienced older players either on the bench or in the stand?

Payne should be in the side every game. John Still was amazed when he was left out against Luton in October. With regard to the debate about how you play a system with him, it was interesting to hear Tony Pulis yesterday saying that he needs to build a system around the players that he has at the club. At Division 2 level you need to find a place for your best players. With regards to width, two attacking full backs can give you this. Coker is very good going forward whereas White seems to be better with his defensive duties.

Agree with this. He is undoubtedly the most talented permanent signing. I can see another Michael Kightly situation if we are not careful.

Payne should be in the side every game. John Still was amazed when he was left out against Luton in October. With regard to the debate about how you play a system with him, it was interesting to hear Tony Pulis yesterday saying that he needs to build a system around the players that he has at the club. At Division 2 level you need to find a place for your best players. With regards to width, two attacking full backs can give you this. Coker is very good going forward whereas White seems to be better with his defensive duties.

Yet the past two games that clearly didnt give us the width we needed. Didnt matter so much against Cheltenham because they are terrible but we were very limited yesterday.

You make the point about finding a place for your best players, what about Worrall ? Payne clearly has enormous talent but we have built the team around him and he hasn't had much of an impact.

Agree with this. He is undoubtedly the most talented permanent signing. I can see another Michael Kightly situation if we are not careful.

Totally agree,

Jack needs the free role where he can wander wherever he wants yet we are too regimented to allow such luxury.

Apologies if this has already been suggested earlier in this lengthy thread but I would like to see Jack given a chance as one of the front two, paired with Corr or Piggot. It would be hard for him but he would make the runs for BBC flick ons and give big defenders a different problem. This would create the possibility of another wide player in midfield and give Jack a key role in the team.Strikers don't have to be 6' do they ?

Simple, by making him more defensive. When was the last time we saw a famous Lenny drive from the edge of our box to theirs?

Shrews away there was a Chance to run 50yards but instead he panicked and passed it out of play. Our player of the season of last wouldn't make my top 10 this season..

I remember reading an interview with Brown a while back and he's been telling Lenny to get more forward, so Lennys poor form and confidence is down to him not PB. People like you and Mrsblue find it easy to blame every single thing on the manager.

Apologies if this has already been suggested earlier in this lengthy thread but I would like to see Jack given a chance as one of the front two, paired with Corr or Piggot. It would be hard for him but he would make the runs for BBC flick ons and give big defenders a different problem. This would create the possibility of another wide player in midfield and give Jack a key role in the team.Strikers don't have to be 6' do they ?

Billy Best, Steve Phillips, Stuart Brace could barely muster 11' between them!

I remember reading an interview with Brown a while back and he's been telling Lenny to get more forward, so Lennys poor form and confidence is down to him not PB. People like you and Mrsblue find it easy to blame every single thing on the manager.

Der my brain hurts !

Brown is the boss and if his players ain't doing as he demands then Brown has too drop them if indeed he actually wants Lenny to bomb on.

I've not been to the last few matches but it seems like Brown has a stubborn belief in the old 'don't change a winning team' mantra and isn't prepared to adapt tactics according to the opposition. These are the sorts of games where we've tripped up in previous seasons and it could cost us again this season.

He's talking about us being youthful and naive again - well you pick the team Phil! Thompson and JBW have done ok by all accounts in recent games but they're clearly not our strongest central defence partnership. Time for Prosser or Barrett to come in I think. For what it's worth I would've also played Paul rather than Ted Smith yesterday.

Brown needs to drop Leonard to give him a kick up the backside like he did with Hurst last season. And Worrall should be starting whenever he can as he's our best creative player. For Stevenage I would go with:

Bentley (if fit) / P Smith
White Thompson Prosser Coker
Hurst Deegan Timlin Worrall
Payne
Piggott

Brown needs to drop Leonard to give him a kick up the backside like he did with Hurst last season. And Worrall should be starting whenever he can as he's our best creative player. For Stevenage I would go with:

Bentley (if fit) / P Smith
White Thompson Prosser Coker
Hurst Deegan Timlin Worrall
Payne
Piggott

Spot on with that team.

Yet the past two games that clearly didnt give us the width we needed. Didnt matter so much against Cheltenham because they are terrible but we were very limited yesterday.

You make the point about finding a place for your best players, what about Worrall ? Payne clearly has enormous talent but we have built the team around him and he hasn't had much of an impact.

Payne no impact? He is our leading goalscorer despite not being a striker!!!

Back