• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

i think this could be a decent calculated risk from the FL to be honest. even most of the big clubs dont carry a hugely competitive U21 team (as many are out on loan etc) and wouldnt do just to participate in JPT, and when they are all picked off in the first round by league 1 and 2 clubs it will show how ridiculous the idea of them playing league football is. the competition does need a revamp every now and then as its shown to be a loss maker unless you get to the area final onwards.

I wondered the same thing . As Kevin Kegan said 'I would just love it' if all the B teams went out in round one.

i think this could be a decent calculated risk from the FL to be honest. even most of the big clubs dont carry a hugely competitive U21 team (as many are out on loan etc) and wouldnt do just to participate in JPT, and when they are all picked off in the first round by league 1 and 2 clubs it will show how ridiculous the idea of them playing league football is. the competition does need a revamp every now and then as its shown to be a loss maker unless you get to the area final onwards.

Problem is, once the PL teams get their foot in the door they'll change things to their benefit. They doubt they'll go out in the 1st round either, as most Football League clubs played weakened teams aswell

....here's a novel idea. If you want to develop the PL English kids, put them in the 1st team instead of signing players from all over the continent. But, oh no, that doesn't sell shirts in far off countries, does it !!

BIt of misinformation here - a vote has NOT taken place, but will do so in the summer.

I give up trying to link to the tweet, but follow Against League 3, and it's there.

This?

Why can't they simply play each other in a proper league of their own? If there are 16 which is being proposed then that is enough for a proper league. Job done. Maybe the winner of the JPT could then play the winner of the B league cup . The charity shield for lower league football. .
They already do, the u21 Premier League! (Put in place supposedly to help the national team :unsure: )
It should just be left well alone, crazy idea.
A trial in my opinion for a European model of B teams in lower leagues. Madness, English football is far too traditional for all that caper... Would never realistically work. It'd rock the football pyramid and grass roots to the core.
Has anyone given a thought to non league clubs?

What happened to the Football Combination? I seem to remember that seemed to work pretty well for giving reserve teams and players regular football. Wouldn't it just be easier to bring that competition back in some form or another and just leave lower league football the **** alone? :stunned:

Really concerned about this, as others have said the start of a slippery slope. Certainly won't be going to any JPT games anytime soon if they do bring in the B teams, I would urge others to boycott so that it makes it financially unviable.

Only problem is local armchair fans of big clubs might come out to see Arsenal, Spurs reserves etc..

What exactly is a premier league B team ?

When the world cup gets moved to the winter and the prem shuts down for a month or so they will use the competition for keeping their first team players fit.

Not in favour of this at all.

Couldn't give a T***. We've been there and done it and I must say attmosphere wise it was the biggest anti climax I've ever experinced. The problem is we can easily fill the end with 30,000+ shrimpers but the vast majority of those have probably not been to a league game for ten years and have no interest in making any type of noise. Much better to fill an away end like Chelsea or Spurs with 3-4,000 passionate blues than the type that go to a one off game and just talk the hwhole bloody time.

Absolutely agree with this. Same at Cardiff, atmosphere 10 times better at the playoff final with 6500 than the LDV with 20000 plus.

This is Greg Dykes doing I think. If it is then apart from boycotts and pickets we have to target him too.

It would be interesting to know the reasons for the any chairman agreeing to this. It's so obviously wrong to most of us that there is something we are missing.
how will be gain financially?
Will it make B teams in football league more or less likely (as I said earlier maybe it's the lesser of two evils.
is the suggested plan something that premiership clubs and the FA will actually want or again is it all politics (ie the football league have suggested it to move focus away from B teams in the league

Why doesn't the Prem League make a Prem League for B teams and **** off and leave the rest of us alone.

I think this proposal is pointless because it won't achieve its stated objective but as a general point I find this lack of a willingness to try anything new at the heart of why we're so unsuccessful at almost any sport on the World level.

People blame the Premier League for England's failings. English football being stuck in the past is the bigger issue.

I have not read the whole thing through but I think its the other way round, if you are drawn at home to a B team in the group stage you get to play at their ground.

There would be sixteen groups of four clubs, with each group having a B Team included. Teams would play each other once on a pre-drawn home/away basis, with any matches involving the B Team that see them drawn as the 'home' team played at the Premier League club's main stadium. The winners of the group would follow through to the final sixteen of the competition. This would guarantee each team at least three matches in the competition.

Just read that through again and I'm not so sure now! I think it just means that B teams have to play at their main home ground. Not sure if its still regional I don't think it will be?

This bit as well - They want all gate receipts from matches played on the Premier League grounds put into a central pool for later distribution to the 48 Football League clubs

I doubt the gate receipts will be huge lets face it they are going to have to have really cheap admission prices in the first place to get decent crowds.

How do they organise that when early JPT matches can often clash with Champions League matches? Does the fact that the PL B team have to play at home mean the CL matches will be played elsewhere?

I think this proposal is pointless because it won't achieve its stated objective but as a general point I find this lack of a willingness to try anything new at the heart of why we're so unsuccessful at almost any sport on the World level.

People blame the Premier League for England's failings. English football being stuck in the past is the bigger issue.

Really? We're pretty good at a lot of them. 65 medals at Olympics 2012 for example.

I'm also interested in who actually plays in a PL B team? Is it effectively their reserves, or is it one step lower than that?

If it's one step lower, then what is the attraction in going to watch such a game?

If it's effectively their reserves, then aren't these players mostly foreign as well?

Really? We're pretty good at a lot of them. 65 medals at Olympics 2012 for example.

Driven by smart use of money, an openness to new ways of doing things and a determination to do whatever is necessary to succeed. The exact opposite of cricket and especially football.

Just take a look at the third and fourth tiers of Spanish football (Barca II are in the second tier), it's littered with 'B' and 'C' teams from all the top teams. Whilst I understand that this is tradition in Spain, it must be thoroughly depressing for those teams who miss out on promotion (or who are relegated) and the sad reality is, with the introduction of 'B' teams into the football league trophy this could indeed be our fate in 10+ years from now.

The greed of the footballing elite in this country will slowly suck away the existence of smaller clubs as the disparity between the top and bottom increases with every TV deal, I am certainly not naive enough to believe that this could not affect us hence why making a stand against this particular plan is rather important.

The fans of AFC Wimbledon have been bitten once and nearly paid the ultimate penalty, it's no surprise that they and the club's hierarchy are against the plan. Shouldn't we have all learnt this lesson by now?

Driven by smart use of money, an openness to new ways of doing things and a determination to do whatever is necessary to succeed. The exact opposite of cricket and especially football.

If you're willing to sacrifice the club you love for a fruitless potshot at the World Cup then you're in a tiny minority. Every one of the clubs in Leagues 1/2 would tell you the same.

If you're willing to sacrifice the club you love for a fruitless potshot at the World Cup then you're in a tiny minority. Every one of the clubs in Leagues 1/2 would tell you the same.

I'm sure they would and it completely sums up the selfish, self-interested attitude which plagues our sport from top to bottom.

No one has any interest in what is good for the game. They're just interested in themselves.

Back