• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Very well played everyone.
Stupid red card, ref so obviously wanted to send him off. I said Phil should sub him at half time.
Thompson played brilliant too. Hard to pick a man of the match but Barrett just for scoring twice and doing the donkey work up top too

A trip to spec savers on Monday would be advisable :winking: Apart from that hope you enjoyed the game as much as me.

Plenty of top performances today but, for me, mom was O'Neill. Superb, consistent tackling (that last-ditch one in the 1st half when they were clean through was just class). His passing is good (one in the 1st half to Barnett was quality, and he is not afraid to venture forward. Haven't seen much of him this season as 6 of his 7 starts were away but, after today, I really cannot see White getting back into starting 11. Nothing against White - I personally think he is decent enough - but if he plays like today O'Neill offers so much more...

Just heard Phil's post match interview on BBC Essex.

I must admit, love him or loathe him, he does say it as it is.

Also interesting to hear that comment about Ron and the purse strings, and he is hoping to possibly bring in 1 or 2 more players.

In summary...What a day!!...

3-0 Win against Coventry

3-0 loss to Colchester (and 7 points + a massive goal difference from relegation safety)

Ron is dusting off his mothballed wallet

We are 2 points outside the division one play offs

To be fair, I've had worse days!! :smile:

UTB
:happy:

Yes, life as a Southend fan is very much like this. We are either in the deep depths of despair (say after squandering a 2-0 lead away to Swindon) or we are as high as the highest kites after thrashing a very good Coventry side (plus referee). No middle road here, hold tight and faster seat belts this season is far from done!

Just heard the Colchester Manager interview on BBC Essex. He sounds like a phone call away from the Samaritans!

Mr Manor's match report and ratings sums up the game pretty well in post#1.
I don't think anyone had a poor game (Deegs "off" aside) and if the ref had red'd the GK we might have had 5/6!
It was a bit of an "away" performance and we hit them with some sharp and direct breaks with quick balls from back to front runners.
Barnett,Hendrie and young McQueen had great home debuts and O'Niell was as good as the first 30 minute spell of his 1st loan.
Great team effort BUT we rode our luck with some of the blocks and Cov's woeful shooting and inept deadball play.

Brilliant from the team,

Barnett was excellent and my mom with Jack second best on the pitch.

Really enjoyed today with super football,love it.

Match report from Coventry City's official site. Obviously the reporter couldn't see Jack on the pitch or at least until he got to the second paragraph of the match report!

Goals from Hendrie and Barnett sealed the points for the Shrimpers…

Coventry City fell to a 3-0 defeat against Southend thanks to a Tyrone Barnett brace and Stephen Hendrie goal.

Stephen Hendrie got the first finishing low before Tyrone Barnett placed under Reice Charles-Cook for the second. The win was sealed when Barnett got his second and Southend’s third by sticking away a penalty.

The Sky Blues made several changes going into the game. Stephen Hunt made his debut while Marcus Tudgay started his second game of the season. Joe Cole and Gael Bigirimana also came into the side. Sam Ricketts moved to right back while Chris Stokes played with Peter Ramage at the heart of the defence as Ryan Haynes came in.
Jim O’Brien came close to giving City the lead 15 minutes into the game. The midfielder curled a shot from 25-yards out, which was just tipped over by Dan Bentley.
However, Southend were the ones who took the lead eight minutes later. A Sam Ricketts clearance on the right-flank bounced off Stephen Hendrie, as the ball found Jack Payne who placed it to left of Reice Charles-Cook in the bottom corner.
The Shrimpers then got their second on the half-hour mark. Hendrie broke away through the centre of the park, eventually playing it into Tyrone Barnett down the left. The forward slid it under the on-rushing Charles-Cook to double the home team’s lead.
Marcus Tudgay did have the ball in the net, four minutes from the end of the half but it was disallowed, for a foul on the keeper. Romain Vincelot crossed in and Tudgay rose to meet the ball, as the keeper came to collect he split it allowing Tudgay to poke in, but Referee Malone judged it to be a foul.
In the 52[SUP]nd[/SUP] minute Southend were reduced to ten men as Gary Deegan was shown a second yellow card for a foul on James Maddison. However, on the hour mark, the Shrimpers almost got their third. A long throw into the box found Hendrie who flicked it towards goal, bringing a good save from Charles-Cook.
The Sky Blues came close to getting a goal back in the 64[SUP]th[/SUP] minute, as Maddison found space on the edge of the area and curled one just past the top-left corner. But Southend did eventually increase their lead in the 67[SUP]th[/SUP] minute after Barnett put away a penalty after Charles-Cook had brought down Atkinson in the box.
Tony Mowbray’s men were the dominant side in the last 15 minutes having the lion-share possession, penning the home-side in their half. Joe Cole had a half-chance but shot over from the edge of the box. In the five minutes of added time, City had a few half chances but couldn't put them away,thus they slipped to their second defeat on the bounce.

Read more at http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/...thend-united-2916642.aspx#BMhiLSD84wuOCmaM.99

Great result and great effort , but we played 5 at the back at home before we scored !
I have no great argument as we won well , but I don't want to watch home games when we defend deep and allow the opposition to dictate.
Coventry were poor at the back and we took advantage well , but I hope this is not a long term tactic as I think it is tough to see through game after game.

So many quality performances, even Atkinson the marathon man. Barnett, Barrett, Payne, Bentley, O'Neil(Not just that amazing tackle) Superb. How many times did Barrett block a shot or head it away?

Mr Manor's match report and ratings sums up the game pretty well in post#1.
I don't think anyone had a poor game (Deegs "off" aside) and if the ref had red'd the GK we might have had 5/6!
It was a bit of an "away" performance and we hit them with some sharp and direct breaks with quick balls from back to front runners.
Barnett,Hendrie and young McQueen had great home debuts and O'Niell was as good as the first 30 minute spell of his 1st loan.
Great team effort BUT we rode our luck with some of the blocks and Cov's woeful shooting and inept deadball play.

Agree with this, possession and territory wise it was pretty much all Coventry. They struggled to really break down the 5 at the back and often resorted to long range efforts some of which were excellently blocked by the defence. We worked hard though and took the chances we had so deserved the 3 points.

Match report from Coventry City's official site. Obviously the reporter couldn't see Jack on the pitch or at least until he got to the second paragraph of the match report!

Goals from Hendrie and Barnett sealed the points for the Shrimpers…

Coventry City fell to a 3-0 defeat against Southend thanks to a Tyrone Barnett brace and Stephen Hendrie goal.

Stephen Hendrie got the first finishing low before Tyrone Barnett placed under Reice Charles-Cook for the second. The win was sealed when Barnett got his second and Southend’s third by sticking away a penalty.

The Sky Blues made several changes going into the game. Stephen Hunt made his debut while Marcus Tudgay started his second game of the season. Joe Cole and Gael Bigirimana also came into the side. Sam Ricketts moved to right back while Chris Stokes played with Peter Ramage at the heart of the defence as Ryan Haynes came in.
Jim O’Brien came close to giving City the lead 15 minutes into the game. The midfielder curled a shot from 25-yards out, which was just tipped over by Dan Bentley.
However, Southend were the ones who took the lead eight minutes later. A Sam Ricketts clearance on the right-flank bounced off Stephen Hendrie, as the ball found Jack Payne who placed it to left of Reice Charles-Cook in the bottom corner.
The Shrimpers then got their second on the half-hour mark. Hendrie broke away through the centre of the park, eventually playing it into Tyrone Barnett down the left. The forward slid it under the on-rushing Charles-Cook to double the home team’s lead.
Marcus Tudgay did have the ball in the net, four minutes from the end of the half but it was disallowed, for a foul on the keeper. Romain Vincelot crossed in and Tudgay rose to meet the ball, as the keeper came to collect he split it allowing Tudgay to poke in, but Referee Malone judged it to be a foul.
In the 52[SUP]nd[/SUP] minute Southend were reduced to ten men as Gary Deegan was shown a second yellow card for a foul on James Maddison. However, on the hour mark, the Shrimpers almost got their third. A long throw into the box found Hendrie who flicked it towards goal, bringing a good save from Charles-Cook.
The Sky Blues came close to getting a goal back in the 64[SUP]th[/SUP] minute, as Maddison found space on the edge of the area and curled one just past the top-left corner. But Southend did eventually increase their lead in the 67[SUP]th[/SUP] minute after Barnett put away a penalty after Charles-Cook had brought down Atkinson in the box.
Tony Mowbray’s men were the dominant side in the last 15 minutes having the lion-share possession, penning the home-side in their half. Joe Cole had a half-chance but shot over from the edge of the box. In the five minutes of added time, City had a few half chances but couldn't put them away,thus they slipped to their second defeat on the bounce.

Read more at http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/...thend-united-2916642.aspx#BMhiLSD84wuOCmaM.99
I just don't understand how it can be that hard to get the right player...reminds me of Wembley when they got both goal scorers wrong!

Wow. That was an awesome performance.

We set-up perfectly and I don't buy the "Coventry weren't very good" posts. We never gave them a chance to be good.

Bolger won everything in the air and got some great anticipating tackles in.

Barrett blocked everything and lead from the back.

Thompson slotted in well.

But man alive, how good were O'Neill and Hendrie. I thought they were absolutely outstanding and cut off any supply line Coventry had from wide and bombed forward when they could. O'Neill's block in the first-half was absolutely out of the top drawer.

Dan was back to his solid best.

Deegan was having a great game before committing hari-kari.

Atkinson and Leonard worked tirelessly.

Barnett and Payne were always in the game when they could be. Barnett did superbly well to create the chance that lead to the penalty and took it as cool as you like.

All in all, one of the best performances I've seen down the Hall for a long time.

100% commitment from start to finish.

They had some quality players and we made them look ordinary.

Even a fair whack of their fans left before the end.

... and the reception at the final whistle made you feel proud to be there.

Magnificent!

352 is not a defensive formation- depends a little on who the wing backs are however Hendrie and O'Neil are good enough going forward for it to work well. And the 3 at the back look very very solid. We won comfortably got 3 and came close on at least two other occasions- after Peterborough and Coventry I am happy for PB to pick the formation he sees fit!

Very disciplined and affective performance with everyone understanding and performing their role.

Bentley 8 Couple of very good saves, commanding on crosses and generally giving confidence to those in front of him
Bolger 7 Commanding in the air, defended well, useful at the other end and breathing life into Lenny's long throw ins!
Barrett 8 PB specifically mentioned how even with a 9k crowd all he could hear was AB barking instructions and organising
Thompson 7 solid, playing left of the three not perfect for him but played well
O'Neil- 7.5 probably his best performance since coming back to us- could grow into the wing back role
Atkinson- 8 Unbelievable engine, if he could pass and finish he would be in the Prem- instead he does a very good job for us
Deegan- 6.5 Was playing pretty well & in their faces (then the off). Not convinced he mad contact but at this level you can't give an excuse
Leonard- 7.5 Also has a great engine and gets through so much work. Good.
Payne- 8 Makes things happen, worked very hard and played further forward until the sending off. I still say he will end up as a very good front man (forget in the hole etc. if he gets it to his feet any where near the box Corporal Jones appears at the heart of the defence!)
Barnett 9 MOM a 6'4" handful who is also mobile, good on the deck and scores goals- we are in L1 and won't get better (the fact that we will have also Payne, Hunt, Mooney, McQueen, Loza as well to the end of the season bodes very well).

Subs.
Timlin will be in for Deegan next game and that will certainly not weaken us one bit- big part to the end of the season
McQueen- liked the look of him- quick and looks classy, put himself about- so far so good
Hunt- used his experience when he came on- at that point it was a thankless task up front on his own but got on with it

This is getting close to the strongest squad of players we have had for a long, long time and whatever happens it is clear that the mentality at the top is to have a real tilt for the playoffs at worst- and for that we should be grateful. Never boring- UTB

Great result and great effort , but we played 5 at the back at home before we scored !
I have no great argument as we won well , but I don't want to watch home games when we defend deep and allow the opposition to dictate.
Coventry were poor at the back and we took advantage well , but I hope this is not a long term tactic as I think it is tough to see through game after game.

I thought that but when I looked closely, although it is pretty much 5 at the back, the fact we have Hendrie and O'Neill that like to play high means that in the main were playing 5 at the back when defending but as soon as we attacked, either O'Neill or Hendrie pushed right up, winger style, meaning we sat with 4 at the back, had 3 in midfield in what could be classed as too narrow but the width is added with O'Neill or Hendrie. I quite like the formation

Hendrie was involved in the first 2 goals. For the 1st, blocking the man in the corner and the resulting lash of the ball fell to Payne who scored with some aplomb. 2nd goal, Hendrie ran with the ball and played a perfectly weighted ball to the impressive Barnett who also finished well.

As for the 3rd goal, Barnett had no right to pass the 3 players on the touchline before that wonderful ball to Atko. Great run, was a bit disappointed not to see him shoot but drew the keeper into the foul and a good penalty by Barnett.

Good team performance and a valuable 3 points against the Big Coventry

Last edited:
Again a great team effort with everyone giving 100% ,really shows how a team playing this way can beat anyone.Really impressed with all the new signings
Well done lads,and Browny

352 is not a defensive formation- depends a little on who the wing backs are however Hendrie and O'Neil are good enough going forward for it to work well. And the 3 at the back look very very solid. We won comfortably got 3 and came close on at least two other occasions- after Peterborough and Coventry I am happy for PB to pick the formation he sees fit!

Very disciplined and affective performance with everyone understanding and performing their role.

Bentley 8 Couple of very good saves, commanding on crosses and generally giving confidence to those in front of him
Bolger 7 Commanding in the air, defended well, useful at the other end and breathing life into Lenny's long throw ins!
Barrett 8 PB specifically mentioned how even with a 9k crowd all he could hear was AB barking instructions and organising
Thompson 7 solid, playing left of the three not perfect for him but played well
O'Neil- 7.5 probably his best performance since coming back to us- could grow into the wing back role
Atkinson- 8 Unbelievable engine, if he could pass and finish he would be in the Prem- instead he does a very good job for us
Deegan- 6.5 Was playing pretty well & in their faces (then the off). Not convinced he mad contact but at this level you can't give an excuse
Leonard- 7.5 Also has a great engine and gets through so much work. Good.
Payne- 8 Makes things happen, worked very hard and played further forward until the sending off. I still say he will end up as a very good front man (forget in the hole etc. if he gets it to his feet any where near the box Corporal Jones appears at the heart of the defence!)
Barnett 9 MOM a 6'4" handful who is also mobile, good on the deck and scores goals- we are in L1 and won't get better (the fact that we will have also Payne, Hunt, Mooney, McQueen, Loza as well to the end of the season bodes very well).

Subs.
Timlin will be in for Deegan next game and that will certainly not weaken us one bit- big part to the end of the season
McQueen- liked the look of him- quick and looks classy, put himself about- so far so good
Hunt- used his experience when he came on- at that point it was a thankless task up front on his own but got on with it

This is getting close to the strongest squad of players we have had for a long, long time and whatever happens it is clear that the mentality at the top is to have a real tilt for the playoffs at worst- and for that we should be grateful. Never boring- UTB
Agree with all of that but you forgot Hendrie who I thought was immense today. Both he and O'Neil really played their role well, defending when Coventry were attacking and pushing forward when we were. I think Hendrie was involved with both the goals so for me he was MOM.

Apart from the brilliant 3-0 win, Deegan getting sent off was excellent. At least Timlin will get back in the side. Mom for me today was Barnett, a masterclass in playing that role. Shame he will now be unavailable for Shrews away. The old SUFC returned toady. Good counter attacking football, solid in defence. Also impressed with all the loaners, none of whom look out if place in the team. A very good day all round and sets us up nicely for two very winnable games.

Back