• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Euro 2016

I think we just need to accept that England aren't that good at football. We won one World Cup 50 years ago in our back yard, and haven't been to a final of a major tournament since. We've never won a knockout match at the Euros outside England. Yes we have the best and richest league in the world but most of the players and managers in it are foreign. There are plenty of other sports that we are good at.

Everything about last night was embarrassing - Kane's corners, the defending for the two goals, Joe Hart's mistake. We were outfought and outwitted by Iceland.

I like Hodgson as a man but he's too conservative and soft as a manager. His subs are so predictable - why not bring Ross Barkley on instead of Wilshere who has been poor in every game? When you don't know what your best system is you are never going to get far. Easy to say in hindsight but I bet the likes of Noble, Drinkwater, Dann would've shown a lot more passion than some of the players last night.

Don't think it really matters who the next manager is, the problems with English football are deeper than that.

We all said right back when the squad was announced what a poor decision it was to leave the in form players at home in favour of crocks and favourites. Sentiment should not play any part in selection for the national team. Whoever takes over needs to learn this lesson as quickly as possible and act on it.

I'd love to know where the idea came from for Kane to take all those free kicks and corners. Totally perplexed by that and the fact it continued throughout the tournament! :facepalm:

Our problem was winning in 66. Ever since then we've believe the hype.

We should have won Euro 96, and possibly the 1990 World Cup. After a very poor start in 86, we came good at the right time and it required Maradona's cheating and genius to beat us in the quarters - Argentina went on to win the World Cup and dealt with the Germans fairly comfortably in the final. In 1982, we went home undefeated and only conceded one goal, giving the French a good drubbing in our first game, who went on to be cheated out of a place in the final thanks to the Schumacher assault. Although we only made the last 16 in 1998, I am sure that we go a lot further if Beckham doesn't lose his mind. I'm not sure we could have beaten the French, but the semis were very much a possibility. I think my 'believing the hype' was born from this period from 1982 to 1998, when we looked like credible winners in five tournaments. But I have to accept that we've now had 18 years of utter ****.

We should have won Euro 96, and possibly the 1990 World Cup. After a very poor start in 86, we came good at the right time and it required Maradona's cheating and genius to beat us in the quarters - Argentina went on to win the World Cup and dealt with the Germans fairly comfortably in the final. In 1982, we went home undefeated and only conceded one goal, giving the French a good drubbing in our first game, who went on to be cheated out of a place in the final thanks to the Schumacher assault. Although we only made the last 16 in 1998, I am sure that we go a lot further if Beckham doesn't lose his mind. I'm not sure we could have beaten the French, but the semis were very much a possibility. I think my 'believing the hype' was born from this period from 1982 to 1998, when we looked like credible winners in five tournaments. But I have to accept that we've now had 18 years of utter ****.

The influence of the Premier League.

what has happened to that...In ROY we TRUST???
What happened to our good-unlucky Brazil 2014??
Hodgson IS as gormless as he looks.
What happened to our ..We get better as the competition???
Fact is ROY messed in in Brazil,should have been sacked then,now he has got even worse.
He had no idea...the tactics,team etc...thats after 2 years of getting ready for Euro 16

As you can expect,had a crap day here in Germany...my God they loved that.
German Sports presenter say in the morning..England said they had a good young team...but they are as bad as usual.
On the radio,at least twice an hour in the morning,taking the "pee" out of Great England.
When i got on site..the usual(often)...EN..GER...LAND. by all the workers..loving it..
My work mate even said..." sorry Ozzie.but wanted to go to bed at half time...but i enjoyed the embarrassing England game,especially Rooney so much i had to watch it to the end".
Even the German commentator said,on about 60 minutes.."Hodgson has over 40 years of experience...but he looks like has does not know what to do......against ICELAND"....says it all

I think whoever takes over will end up failing, the truth is we don't have good midfielders and there's not much we can do about it. Name me one English player in the premier league that is able to run at players like Mahrez or pick out a pass no one else can see like Ozil. All the teams that have impressed at the Euros have players like that, even Iceland have Sigurdsson, who do we have? Our English midfielders might look good in the Premier League but that's because they have the flair players giving them space and options, without that they're average at best.

I think whoever takes over will end up failing, the truth is we don't have good midfielders and there's not much we can do about it. Name me one English player in the premier league that is able to run at players like Mahrez or pick out a pass no one else can see like Ozil. All the teams that have impressed at the Euros have players like that, even Iceland have Sigurdsson, who do we have? Our English midfielders might look good in the Premier League but that's because they have the flair players giving them space and options, without that they're average at best.

Sterling can run at players and Wilshire can pick a pass but those selections got slated.

In terms of running at players, I would have to say Kyle Walker was the best we had during this tournament, which says a lot if you have to rely on a right back to do the job of an attacking winger.

Sterling can run at players and Wilshire can pick a pass but those selections got slated.

Wasn't much help this year since Wilshire has hardly played for Arsenal and Sterling is woefully out of form, I hope Sterling and Wilshire do get back to their old selves though because they are potentially the answer to our problems.

Wilshire when fit is a good player but I would never have taken him as he just hasnt played enough. Doubt Drinkwater would have done any better though.

See England slinked back into Luton today.

Do think they should have got an open top parade through London still. Especially as its raining.

Roy was a shocking choice ,he proved how inept his management style is,but the FA loves the typical yes man don't they.They the FA ignored giving the role to the likes of Clough and Redknapp as these guys won't stand for any PC rubbish the FA overlords demand.Maybe just maybe Clough and Redknapp could have gave us some glory,sadly we will never know.

The FA IMO must stop giving the gig to old dinosaurs ,give Howe the gig ,young and attack minded with fresh ideas.

Roy was a shocking choice ,he proved how inept his management style is,but the FA loves the typical yes man don't they.They the FA ignored giving the role to the likes of Clough and Redknapp as these guys won't stand for any PC rubbish the FA overlords demand.Maybe just maybe Clough and Redknapp could have gave us some glory,sadly we will never know.

The FA IMO must stop giving the gig to old dinosaurs ,give Howe the gig ,young and attack minded with fresh ideas.

Welome back MRs B.

Lost interest in the whole thing.
Come on...Wales are still there! Aren't we all honorary Welsh men and women today?

wales_ani.gif

Back