• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

From a Huddersfield rag ;

New Huddersfield Town chief executive Julian Winter and football operations chief Stuart Webber will have key roles if the club are to land Southend United midfielder Jack Payne – and do it within budget.
Even though the 21-year-old Londoner is out of contract, the League I side will be due a fee because of Payne’s age and the fact that he has been offered a new deal (no agreement could be reached).

Should a club signing Payne be unable to agree compensation, the matter would go to tribunal, as happened when Town signed former England Uner 19 midfielder Oscar Gobern from Southampton in 2011, when he was 20 and out of contract.
That fee was set at £275,000, rising to £400,000 on appearances.
Southend academy product Payne has made 88 appearances for Southend, scoring 17 goals, and has also been linked with Ipswich Town and Wolves as well as Dutch side Sparta Rotterdam.

How does the Tribunal arrive at the compensation amount? If a consideration is included on the average wage of the squad against the new contract offered for the departing player as a gauge to that players importance and standing at the club, why can't we offer Payne the top end of what we can afford on the basis it would probably not be enough anyway and he would still be off to somewhere new.

How does the Tribunal arrive at the compensation amount? If a consideration is included on the average wage of the squad against the new contract offered for the departing player as a gauge to that players importance and standing at the club, why can't we offer Payne the top end of what we can afford on the basis it would probably not be enough anyway and he would still be off to somewhere new.

We have offered Jack a very good deal. My understanding is that we also offered Dan Bentley a deal which would make him the highest earner at the club.

I'm not sure what else the club could do tbh.

We sometimes forget this question means for all but the wealthier clubs the uncertainty around this question means the buying club will want to agree compensation and not risk the tribunal.

Oscar Gobern had played 21 games for Southampton in L1 and moved to Huddersfield a fellow L1 side. Huddersfield got hit with a £275k rising to £400k. Payne has played more games overall and in L1, and would be moving to a Championship Club not L1. He is a similar age. Huddersfield for one I suspect will not risk a tribunal on Payne having been severely bitten previously.

The clubs that are prepared to take the gamble are probably also the clubs where he has less chances of playing regularly. I would suggest there is still a 20% chance that he concludes that whatever his agent thinks staying a bit longer makes more sense.

We sometimes forget this question means for all but the wealthier clubs the uncertainty around this question means the buying club will want to agree compensation and not risk the tribunal.

Oscar Gobern had played 21 games for Southampton in L1 and moved to Huddersfield a fellow L1 side. Huddersfield got hit with a £275k rising to £400k. Payne has played more games overall and in L1, and would be moving to a Championship Club not L1. He is a similar age. Huddersfield for one I suspect will not risk a tribunal on Payne having been severely bitten previously.

The clubs that are prepared to take the gamble are probably also the clubs where he has less chances of playing regularly. I would suggest there is still a 20% chance that he concludes that whatever his agent thinks staying a bit longer makes more sense.

I also have a sneeking suspicion that Payne will not fancy a long move away at an early age and may have a change of heart and sign a new deal.

that's really interesting is that. i doubt that we'd get anything near that much so the buying club are unlikely to be stung to that tune because we're not as big as Southampton. does anyone know, when the tribunal 'take account' of the size of the clubs if they have to give us more coz we're smaller or are likely to give us less?
i'd imagine the categories of our youth system and Southampton's could count against us but anyone know?

That'll be based on what category we are as far as I'm aware. We're Cat 3, so however many years of our coaching is worth x amount.

He can **** off, the slimy triple faced backstabbing little Judas.

He'll get no plaudits from me if he comes to play at RH any time soon.... Bentley on the other hand put in a shift.

He can **** off, the slimy triple faced backstabbing little Judas.

He'll get no plaudits from me if he comes to play at RH any time soon.... Bentley on the other hand put in a shift.

Bit extreme!! He won't get any recognition from me if he returns though as I don't think he deserves it. He hasn't played enough games to be fondly thought of and it's his choice to go before he does. Bentley has made a massive contribution and should get a great reception whenever he returns

If he's going to go to the Championship, that's probably the perfect club for him. Manager who is keen to give young players a chance, stable club where he should be pushing for a starting place. Good luck Jack, still feel he'd be better off having another season here.

Well as he is seen as one of the brightest talents outside of the top two divisions, allegedly a number of other Championship Clubs are interested, and last time Huddersfield took a L1 player of less experience they got hit for £275k rising to £400k at tribunal I suspect Ron will be wanting a good wedge. Be interesting to see if they can agree a number or whether Huddersfield will risk tribunal again. Also wonder who Huddersfield may have that we might want..

As mentioned Huddersfield is probably sensible for him if he is set on going- probably a decent chance of getting some game time without at the same time the likelihood of relegation (although they are more likely bottom half than top).

Again, I don't understand the over-reaction. A young man wanting to play at a higher level. Shouldn't we be encouraging aspirations?

I'll always be proud of the fact that our Youth Team and their Coaches have had such a positive involvement in progressing Jack's career, and that we gave him his chance in the 1st team and he took that chance so well.

We'll always be a selling club and Jack is an asset. Yes, I believe it's a season too early but no hard feelings from me.

Bit extreme!! He won't get any recognition from me if he returns though as I don't think he deserves it. He hasn't played enough games to be fondly thought of and it's his choice to go before he does. Bentley has made a massive contribution and should get a great reception whenever he returns

Of course. it's still possible that they will both be with us come 2016/17 season start, either through bids which are too small to suit Ron, or because no bids come in. Stranger things have happened.

Again, I don't understand the over-reaction. A young man wanting to play at a higher level. Shouldn't we be encouraging aspirations?

I'll always be proud of the fact that our Youth Team and their Coaches have had such a positive involvement in progressing Jack's career, and that we gave him his chance in the 1st team and he took that chance so well.

We'll always be a selling club and Jack is an asset. Yes, I believe it's a season too early but no hard feelings from me.

Too much time, effort and money has gone into the lad's development for there to be no hard feelings from me. So much nurture and patience has gone into getting him the first team experience, at times even building a squad round him to get him involved. Now he's off after a good half a season and leaving us with a measly £75k for all of our troubles. Thought an awful lot of Jack, but certainly won't be applauding him if he turns up to play against us at Roots Hall in the future.

Bentley on the other hand should always be highly regarded for the service and contribution he's made to this club.

The guide lines are £70,000 for each year we have had the player. Jack has been with us around 7 years I think, so that means in excess of £400,000.

Huddersfield are tin pot compared to Southend United. How many JPT finals have they been involved in over the years?

Is our youth policy aimed at developing players and offloading them, or nurturing them so that one day they can become first teamers for Southend United ?

The good ones to sell and the average ones to keep - that is the way of the world I'm afraid.

Wow there are some strong words on here, real hatred! I really don't mind that much about him leaving. It's part and parcel of football. A better job for more money is a no brainer unfortunately. Also, the whole point about Bentley giving more than Payne, and so Bentley is allowed to go with our blessing, is a bit wide of the mark for me. Payne also played a part in our promotion last season, scoring 8 goals if memory serves me correctly. So he definitely played his part, like Bentley, in our promotion and therefore has my gratitude. Ofcourse, no one wants to see their best players go but when your a lower league club, its expected. The only thing i think we can be bitter about is the lack of any big fee. The club are to blame more than anyone for this. If his talent was that obvious from a young age why didn't they whack him on a long contract. Even last season, he should have been given a three year deal, instead of that tinpot year extention.

Last edited:
Back