• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Phil was chasing Fortune,telling the press all sorts,Fortune currently is a bit part player.

For any professional manager to take a punt on a player who hasn't played for over 2 year's and carries baggage Is either clever management or I suspect just pure luck on Phil's part,after all even he cannot keep signing dud forwards .

There is good fortune involved of course but you don't get to buy a fully-fit Ranger or very-top-of-his-game Cox at our level without spending a fortune. Since we don't have a fortune to spend, we had to take a punt with Fortune to support the other two while they're getting back to capacity. And if you don't see that Fortune was signed on a very short contract to play a 'bit part' while Ranger was out injured (without spending a fortune) there's probably little point in debating that with you. For those of us who HAVE been fortunate to see Fortune play, it's clear that it was an astute signing and a great short-term measure. And for those of us who HAVE Seen Ranger and Cox play together, Brown is likely vindicated again. To really overplay that fortune card: while you wanted to bet our future on Williams, fortunately for the rest of us, Brown didn't.

There's PLENTY we can question Brown about but not his vision on Ranger, Cox and Fortune.

Unless of course, it's just about getting the boot in regardless.

Let me explain.

Mooney is contracted so when Phil signed him Phil must have thought Mooney was the main man...When Phil signed all the other forwards Phil must have thought they will be my main man....they all bombed except Corr who bailed out.

Of course Phil might have thought Cox and Ranger will be my main men,yet he soon dropped Cox.

Phil was chasing Fortune,telling the press all sorts,Fortune currently is a bit part player.

For any professional manager to take a punt on a player who hasn't played for over 2 year's and carries baggage Is either clever management or I suspect just pure luck on Phil's part,after all even he cannot keep signing dud forwards .

Still at least he never thought, not even for one second that Jason Williams was the main man. :thumbsup:

Let me explain.

Mooney is contracted so when Phil signed him Phil must have thought Mooney was the main man...When Phil signed all the other forwards Phil must have thought they will be my main man....they all bombed except Corr who bailed out.

Of course Phil might have thought Cox and Ranger will be my main men,yet he soon dropped Cox.

Taken several attempts, so I guess that is the closest I am going to get to your acceptance that PB's plan A for the season was to play 2 up top! Never would I have thought you would be so reluctant to get your opinion out in the open - it's almost as if you are reluctant to say it out loud.

There is of course an entirely separate and valid discussion about whether that was a risky approach, and whether the plan B/C was robust enough, but I really wanted to get your opinion on PB's original intent.

There is good fortune involved of course but you don't get to buy a fully-fit Ranger or very-top-of-his-game Cox at our level without spending a fortune. Since we don't have a fortune to spend, we had to take a punt with Fortune to support the other two while they're getting back to capacity. And if you don't see that Fortune was signed on a very short contract to play a 'bit part' while Ranger was out injured (without spending a fortune) there's probably little point in debating that with you. For those of us who HAVE been fortunate to see Fortune play, it's clear that it was an astute signing and a great short-term measure. And for those of us who HAVE Seen Ranger and Cox play together, Brown is likely vindicated again. To really overplay that fortune card: while you wanted to bet our future on Williams, fortunately for the rest of us, Brown didn't.

There's PLENTY we can question Brown about but not his vision on Ranger, Cox and Fortune.

Unless of course, it's just about getting the boot in regardless.

You mean the same Phil who chased and chased Hunt who duly flopped,then Phil wanted him to re sign him !

Cox signed here because the club offered him a decent deal,Ranger signed here because he had no other club showing interest ditto Fortune.

Now if the above trio hit 30 between them then fantastic,as long as Wordy remains fit then it could happen,Wordy is the key player IMO.

I'd love to have an informed opinion on Ranger but unlike others I've only seen him play a couple of times. What I would say though is that I liked the way him and Cox were tackling and intercepting yesterday - winning the ball back rather than waiting for it to come to them.

Taken several attempts, so I guess that is the closest I am going to get to your acceptance that PB's plan A for the season was to play 2 up top! Never would I have thought you would be so reluctant to get your opinion out in the open - it's almost as if you are reluctant to say it out loud.

There is of course an entirely separate and valid discussion about whether that was a risky approach, and whether the plan B/C was robust enough, but I really wanted to get your opinion on PB's original intent.

Phil has had approaching nearly 200 games here ,most games I witnessed we had the lone forward,maybe just maybe Phil thought let's play 2 up fairly close together this season,if he did think that then fair play to him .

You mean the same Phil who chased and chased Hunt who duly flopped,then Phil wanted him to re sign him !

Cox signed here because the club offered him a decent deal,Ranger signed here because he had no other club showing interest ditto Fortune.

Now if the above trio hit 30 between them then fantastic,as long as Wordy remains fit then it could happen,Wordy is the key player IMO.

If only there was some way of finding out who chased Ranger, Cox, Fortune AND Wordsworth with the plan of playing them together...

So, Ranger's record is as follows:-

In the games he has played in ..........

Sheffield Utd - 3 points
Chesterfield - 3 points
Bradford - 1 point
MK Dons - 3 points

I make that 10 from 12 in 4 games.

Southend United - with Nile Ranger - played 4 - 10 points

Southend United - without Nile Ranger - played 11 - 9 points

Quite a dramatic difference I would say.

And yet other people would drop him because he hasn't scored.

And yet other people would drop him because he hasn't scored.

I can't believe anyone would drop him. He may not have scored but he certainly has contributed to the upturn of form. The ball is now sticking up front. He is flicking balls on with his head, only a matter of time before someone cashes in on them. He's good in the air and on the ground. He's a real handfull at the moment. He adds a much need aerial threat at corners and freekicks and adds height to defend the same when needed.
The only thing I would do if I were Phil, and that's rest him a little more. Three games in a week from him is asking a lot. Most fans thought he was out on his feet at MK Dons, and should have been brought off earlier. Knackering him out after a long lay off is not sensible.

I'm sure I'm not imagining things but over the weekend I thought I saw a photo of a player (Ranger?) on the sidelines of the pitch, with an icepack strapped to a leg. IF it was Ranger, how does that square up with PB stating he didn't come off for an injury but just because of fatigue. Can anyone with sharper eyes than mine elucidate?

I'm sure I'm not imagining things but over the weekend I thought I saw a photo of a player (Ranger?) on the sidelines of the pitch, with an icepack strapped to a leg. IF it was Ranger, how does that square up with PB stating he didn't come off for an injury but just because of fatigue. Can anyone with sharper eyes than mine elucidate?

He was limping when he was substitued. The idiot referee allowed play to go on whilst he was on the ground, but he got up and rejoined play, and then he was subbed. Didn't notice him after to be frank, as I watching the game.

I really like him, he bring about a bit of excitement to the team - something we've not had for a while. I'm sure he'll find his goal scoring boots before long.

So how long will Ranger stay? Just until the next transfer window is a possibility. I can picture Nile's agent on the phone working to get clubs to come and see him play on Saturday and thereafter.

So how long will Ranger stay? Just until the next transfer window is a possibility. I can picture Nile's agent on the phone working to get clubs to come and see him play on Saturday and thereafter.

Nile is in the shop window to resurrect his career,how long he remains here is anyone's guess.

He is contracted so wont be going for free if he does.

Really dont see him leaving that quickly, still carries a lot of baggage and questionable injury wise, a couple of games, or even a couple of months for us isnt going to have made all other clubs stand up and take notice.

I can't believe anyone would drop him. He may not have scored but he certainly has contributed to the upturn of form. The ball is now sticking up front. He is flicking balls on with his head, only a matter of time before someone cashes in on them. He's good in the air and on the ground. He's a real handfull at the moment. He adds a much need aerial threat at corners and freekicks and adds height to defend the same when needed.
The only thing I would do if I were Phil, and that's rest him a little more. Three games in a week from him is asking a lot. Most fans thought he was out on his feet at MK Dons, and should have been brought off earlier. Knackering him out after a long lay off is not sensible.

I don't disagree with any of that. The point i'm making is that people who see things in purely black and white, and rate strikers purely on the number of goals they score will have to drop him for not contributing. Maybe people will now realise there is more to football than meaningless statistics.

Could it have been a heat pad or wrap? This is pretty much standard when treating muscle fatigue? I think some sports physios still use ice packs, but are usually only if there is a sign of muscle strain or tear? Ice is also used prior to heat, am sure they know what they're doing anyway.

Lets just hope Ranger fit for Saturday as we are so much better when he's in the team

I don't disagree with any of that. The point i'm making is that people who see things in purely black and white, and rate strikers purely on the number of goals they score will have to drop him for not contributing. Maybe people will now realise there is more to football than meaningless statistics.

Jake Cassidy arrived here with an appalling scoring record....whilst here he scored....nothing.

Stats really help you know.

Could it have been a heat pad or wrap? This is pretty much standard when treating muscle fatigue? I think some sports physios still use ice packs, but are usually only if there is a sign of muscle strain or tear? Ice is also used prior to heat, am sure they know what they're doing anyway.

Lets just hope Ranger fit for Saturday as we are so much better when he's in the team

In the Echo, Phil Brown said he's had three games in a week having previously not had three games in two years. He said he will wrap him up in cotton wool now, get the lactic acid out on his legs, and hopefully wheel him out for Saturday.

Jake Cassidy arrived here with an appalling scoring record....whilst here he scored....nothing.

Stats really help you know.

They give an indication but they are not the be all and end all. It is far too simplistic to assess a striker purely on his goalscoring record. It is a team game and all players should be assessed on their contribution to the team first and foremost. Scoring goals is a big part of that, but so are the factors that Ranger brings. I think he will start scoring soon and when he is fully fit he could be a revelation.

Back