• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should the"Friendly" go ahead?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just thought I would give this a bump.

Did you here back from the club?.. Currently nearly 87% of Shrimperzone members says this fixture shouldn't happen. & only 6 people said that they would attend.

Surely if it does happen, it should be behind a closed door game.
Then how would they raise any money?:unsure:

Even though I have voted against, at this late stage it would probably be wrong to call the game off. The whole essence of the fixture was to raise money for Mr Dobbin with both clubs showing solidarity. To call it off now could be interpreted as a protest against the court verdicts. If any of you go, then just be a little careful. no doubt both clubs and the police will be aware of the possibilities that could happen. For those that are going looking for a little action, you now know how these things can turn out.

I wonder how the genuine CUFC fans feel? Like us they must also have concerns regarding this match. Tragically it is the small minority that spoils it, given the events on that fateful day this could well have been a benefit game for one of our supporters it just turned out that it was one of theirs. I really hope that this game passes without incident, if not for the sake of both clubs but for the sake of Mr Dobbin, his family and those innocent Southend fans who unwittingly got themselves mixed up in this tragedy

Hmm. I voted no to his game but I'm changing my mind. Agree with a few of the previous posters about the message it would send cancelling at this stage. Also what are we to do - never play Cambridge again? Better to get the next meeting out of the way now as a tin pot friendly where nobody gives a toss about the result because it's Sod's law we draw them in the cup this season.

Everyone that goes to this needs to stay safe. There will be retribution dished out by the hooligan element that came to Roots Hall with the sole intent of causing trouble

Sadly if it was fans all together, holding hands and singing One Love then I'd agree. Sadly there are pockets of tw*ts on both sides who think that some payback is required due to Dobbin's life change injuries or because some Cambridge Utd fans came down to cause trouble and Dobbin deserved a kicking.

For public safety it should be called off. God forbid if one person gets attacked from either side.

I voted yes. It sends out the wrong message calling it off.
Exactly this.

I won't be going and would advise against anyone else going, but I don't think it should be called off now.

Call it off. Imagine the reaction from the press if anything happens as a result of this pointless friendly (I get it's a fundraiser but there's better ways of doing this)

The other thing, of course, is if there was an incident in the city or near the ground and blows were traded, it could be that the authorities will blame the "mindless hooligans from Southend" and innocent people could end up in the dock.

It's a powder keg. Expensive to police. All for a pre-season kickabout.

It's would send out the wrong message to both side & outside the football world if this game called off, so I voted yes as it's too late to arrange another pre season game that are close to the kick off on 5th of Augs!

It's would send out the wrong message to both side & outside the football world if this game called off, so I voted yes as it's too late to arrange another pre season game that are close to the kick off on 5th of Augs!

Play it behind closed doors then

Cambridge bought down two coaches of their lads in 2015 provoked by someone's 200 free business cards from Vista Print which blew up over social media following the daggers game the week before, (first we take your wife, then we take your life was it?)

Now they've been provoked and it's at their home stadium with the park next door with the underpasses? Na you're alright lads. Not risking my health for a preseason friendly! Ludicrous decision by both parties

What a day that was, I just remember the cards floating around puddles in the car park after the game.

Home fans only, let them raise their money for him and avoid the risks.

Yeah, or that. As I've said I understand the good intentions here for fundraising but to raise as much funds as possible surely they could have looked at a game against someone a bit more glamorous than us. I can't imagine many of our fans would have gone anyway as it's a trek for a friendly but especially now I really don't see a lot attending

Back