• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

World Cup Diaries - your 'almost live' blogs

Rob Noxious

Retro Supremo⭐
'This is it!' - proclaimed Melba Moore on a joyous little single of yesteryear. I'm feeling upbeat that the World Cup opening day has finally arrived. Just got a bit of work to do this morning before I'm off for three glorious weeks of World Cup fever. I'd like to start a ShrimperZone World Cup diary to get an idea of what our assembled SZ brethren are up to during the tournament and use this space to tell us if you're making any special arrangements to watch games etc.

I'll kick off ... today I'm off to my old stomping ground in Porthleven, an old fishing village 'with an unusually large harbour' out here in West Cornwall, where a mate is organising a World Cup party. He's doing Mexican food for their game against the hosts. I intend to wear my loudest African stylee shirt as I'm rooting for 'Bafana Bafana.' Then we're off down to a harbourside pub (called ... 'The Harbour' ... amazing, but true!) to watch France v Uruguay. I hope to get back home in Penzance to watch the highlights too. Better buy Mrs S some 'Doghouse Roses' in advance ... so "get in!" and "'ave it!" and tell us about your World Cup daily plans, starting today ... if you please. :clap:

I'm going to rely on you for my blog of the first week mate, as I recall there's a lovely little chippie on the harbour in Porthleven.

I'm stuck on the sofa, post-op on my foot, ideal timing really as I intend on watching as many games as well as possible!

Fell asleep after 10 minutes of the opening gametoday(heavy double Exam session at The Council).Saw the France game here(yawn) and off to the Philharmonic pub in Barna tomorrow to meet up with some mates and see the England match .Will probably catch the Argentina/Nigeria game here too.

Done a Maths A level exam this morning, got home to see that my Mum had kindly bought he 12 bottles of Magners Cider. Saw the South Africa vs Mexico game, which was a very entertaining match, much better than a can't be bothered French side. Very pleased with the results after putting £5 on them both to be a draw. Lovely Jubbly!

I'll kick off ... today I'm off to my old stomping ground in Porthleven, an old fishing village 'with an unusually large harbour' out here in West Cornwall, where a mate is organising a World Cup party. He's doing Mexican food for their game against the hosts. I intend to wear my loudest African stylee shirt as I'm rooting for 'Bafana Bafana.' Then we're off down to a harbourside pub (called ... 'The Harbour' ... amazing, but true!) to watch France v Uruguay. I hope to get back home in Penzance to watch the highlights too. Better buy Mrs S some 'Doghouse Roses' in advance ... so "get in!" and "'ave it!" and tell us about your World Cup daily plans, starting today ... if you please. :clap:

A convivial day - lashings of ginger beer and bright yellow footy socks for Bafana Bafana caused nearly as much sensation as that shirt. What a screamer of an opener by Shalalalalalalalee! Doghouse roses seem to have done the trick too! :)

Right, off to meet and greet a legend of ShrimperZone at PZ station ...

I'm going to rely on you for my blog of the first week mate, as I recall there's a lovely little chippie on the harbour in Porthleven.

Don't worry mate - I'm sure Mrs S will allow you on here between games. Chippie visit noted but is now disturbingly called 'Roland's Happy Plaice.' :unsure:

Don't worry mate - I'm sure Mrs S will allow you on here between games. Chippie visit noted but is now disturbingly called 'Roland's Happy Plaice.' :unsure:

Back to sunny Essex safe and sound and thanks for an entertaining week mate, my liver is about to be buried with full military honours after that lunchtime session in the Ship. :dizzy:

Back to sunny Essex safe and sound and thanks for an entertaining week mate, my liver is about to be buried with full military honours after that lunchtime session in the Ship. :dizzy:

That was simply the Best, H! :clap:

Having a bit of a rest day from the tourno until tonight's game (Brazil v Ivory Coast) as it's a lovely sunny day out west and my presence is required at PZ's lovely lido where in between reading and lazing, I will be frightening children in the pool by the sight of a pot-bellied middle-aged man diving in and thrashing around their general vicinity. Forza! :)

That was simply the Best, H! :clap:

Having a bit of a rest day from the tourno until tonight's game (Brazil v Ivory Coast) as it's a lovely sunny day out west and my presence is required at PZ's lovely lido where in between reading and lazing, I will be frightening children in the pool by the sight of a pot-bellied middle-aged man diving in and thrashing around their general vicinity. Forza! :)

Um...you expect to live to 98? ;)

Um...you expect to live to 98? ;)

Not after a week of liver-bashing like the last one! :)

Just one live game for me today, ie Portugal v the People's Democratic Republic of North Korea, before a bit of beach barbecue time under the auspices of St. Michael's Mount. My World Cup campaign will continue in earnest again tomorrow - off to watch Bafana Bafana face troubled France in The Compton Arms in Islington and then onto Aldeburgh (with mates from previous campaigns) where a sweaty Wednesday afternoon awaits ... come on Ingerland! :support:

Not after a week of liver-bashing like the last one! :)

Just one live game for me today, ie Portugal v the People's Democratic Republic of North Korea, before a bit of beach barbecue time under the auspices of St. Michael's Mount. My World Cup campaign will continue in earnest again tomorrow - off to watch Bafana Bafana face troubled France in The Compton Arms in Islington and then onto Aldeburgh (with mates from previous campaigns) where a sweaty Wednesday afternoon awaits ... come on Ingerland! :support:

I thought you were main lining Andrews mate. Enjoy the BBQ couldn't think of a nicer spot. I'm quietly confident about England winning on Wednesday.

I thought you were main lining Andrews mate. Enjoy the BBQ couldn't think of a nicer spot. I'm quietly confident about England winning on Wednesday.

I'm hopeful mate - but I'm sure it will be one of those 'white knuckle rides' we have to endure. Fingers crossed and here's hoping we get through this sticky patch. Still, could be worse ... could be France. (smiley insert here)

No updates Rob? :unsure:
BTW España won tonite!:clap:

Got back late last night from my 'up country' jaunt ... Aldeburgh is a cracking place and provided the setting for the delight and despair which we England afficionados have to accept. More prosaic spectating in the days ahead, just watching at home ... but two games in particular are likely to make the afternoons very interesting, ie Brazil v Holland and Argentina v Germany. Are you supporting Spain, Phil?

Got back late last night from my 'up country' jaunt ... Aldeburgh is a cracking place and provided the setting for the delight and despair which we England afficionados have to accept. More prosaic spectating in the days ahead, just watching at home ... but two games in particular are likely to make the afternoons very interesting, ie Brazil v Holland and Argentina v Germany. Are you supporting Spain, Phil?[/QUOTE]

Somebody has to.After all they've only got 6 Bar$a players in the side and possibly a 7th(Cesc)in reserve!;)
Seriously the number of conversations I've had with Bar$a supporters who are not interested in the WC is just amazing.Think they'll find the Argies a tough ask though.:stunned:
I'm nicely covered as I have Brazil and Spain Tshirts in my collection although I like the look of Argentina's too.;)

Last edited:
Got back late last night from my 'up country' jaunt ... Aldeburgh is a cracking place and provided the setting for the delight and despair which we England afficionados have to accept. More prosaic spectating in the days ahead, just watching at home ... but two games in particular are likely to make the afternoons very interesting, ie Brazil v Holland and Argentina v Germany. Are you supporting Spain, Phil?[/QUOTE]

Somebody has to.After all they've only got 6 Bar$a players in the side and possibly a 7th(Cesc)in reserve!;)
Seriously the number of conversations I've had with Bar$a supporters who are not interested in the WC is just amazing.Think they'll find the Argies a tough ask though.:stunned:
I'm nicely covered as I have Brazil and Spain Tshirts in my collection although I like the look of Argentina's too.;)

Good grief - never thought I'd hear/see you use a Sun-ism! :stunned:

Me and Canvey backed the Args at 13/2 just before they played Nigeria. :clap:

Last edited:
Back