• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Simon Francis

Shrimp Curry

Youth Team
I have a feeling that Ron and the new manager are going to convince him to stay. I get the impression that of all the big earners he is the only one Ron is willing to keep. Think you will find that the same effort wasn't made to keep Barrett & Macca but then again can you blame him the way they have performed over the last two seasons.

Also I reckon there is going to be a bit of money to spend and that is one of the reasons that Tilson was let go, even the biggest Tilson fan (and I'm one of them) has to admit that the he has wasted vast amounts on players (Walker, Revell, Paynter, Foran, Harrold etc) and with so many players required in such a short space of time I don't think a 20 or 30% success rate would have been good enough.

I have a feeling that Ron and the new manager are going to convince him to stay. I get the impression that of all the big earners he is the only one Ron is willing to keep. Think you will find that the same effort wasn't made to keep Barrett & Macca but then again can you blame him the way they have performed over the last two seasons.

Also I reckon there is going to be a bit of money to spend and that is one of the reasons that Tilson was let go, even the biggest Tilson fan (and I'm one of them) has to admit that the he has wasted vast amounts on players (Walker, Revell, Paynter, Foran, Harrold etc) and with so many players required in such a short space of time I don't think a 20 or 30% success rate would have been good enough.

That should read failure rate, Tilly's successful signings far outweigh the poor or unsuccessful ones.

That should read failure rate, Tilly's successful signings far outweigh the poor or unsuccessful ones.

I disagree, the huge success of the Eastwood signing makes that an easy thing to say but if you made a list of good and bad signings I think you will see a lot less names in the good column! The key thing is the money wasted, players like Goater and Prior were good but didn't cost anything. The only good players signed for 100k or more were Bailey and Francis in my opinion.

From memory, and permanent signings only, Bentley, Dudfield, Nicolau, Petteffer, Gray, Prior, Edwards, Barrett, Cole, Goater, Eastwood, Hammell,Griemink, Flahavan (returned after being released by Wignall), Collis, Mildenhall, Francis, Peter Clarke, Hooper, Foran, Paynter, Harrold, Bailey, McCormack, JCR, Laurent, Christophe, Grant, Paterson, Joyce, MacDonald, Revell, Walker, Spencer & Barnard

There's 35 names there and no doubt I've forgotten some, out of those I'd say that Foran, Walker were poor signings, Revell, Paynter, MacDonald, Harrold & Hooper just didn't work out at Roots Hall and 4 of them have gone on to score goals at the clubs they moved to. We also got money for three of them. I'd say the jury is out on Spencer & Paterson. I've deliberately overlooked Ricketts because his contribution negligible and I believe he wasn't a Tilson signing.

Ok 35 players that Tilly signed on a permanent basis and IMO 5 that were poor, but we still recouped money on them, not a bad record I'd say.

Edit: I missed Guttridge & Sodje both integral to our League 1 Championship year.

Last edited:
Rubbish to say that 20-30% of Tilly's signing were poor

Good signings playing for us from my poor memory

Barrett, Goater, Sodje, Francis, McCormack, Prior, Bentley, Gray, Eastwood, Bailey, Clarke, Francis, Grant, Barnard, Guttridge, JCR.

Of those we made large profits on Eastwood, Bailey, JCR and Barnard, as well as profit on Hooper

Everyone keeps trotting out the

Foran, Harrold, Paynter, Walker and Revell as bad signings meaning that Tilly didn't have a clue.

There are other signings that were neither great, nor poor,but did OK whilst they were here such as Che Wilson, Lewis Hunt, Carl Petterfer and Steve Hammell

The only issue is that if the failures were big money signings, but I bet Tilly was in credit for transfer dealings in the 6 years.

Last edited:
I disagree, the huge success of the Eastwood signing makes that an easy thing to say but if you made a list of good and bad signings I think you will see a lot less names in the good column! The key thing is the money wasted, players like Goater and Prior were good but didn't cost anything. The only good players signed for 100k or more were Bailey and Francis in my opinion.

Look at my earlier post and tell me that those players did not contribute to our success.

Rubbish to say that 20-30% of Tilly's signing were poor

Good signings playing for us from my poor memory

Barrett, Goater, Sodje, Francis, McCormack, Prior, Bentley, Gray, Eastwood, Bailey, Clarke, Francis, Grant, Barnard, Guttridge, JCR.

Of those we made large profits on Eastwood, Bailey, JCR and Barnard, as well as profit on Hooper

Everyone keeps trotting out the

Foran, Harrold, Paynter, Walker and Revell

There are other signings that were neither great, nor poor, such as Che Wilson, Lewis Hunt, Carl Petterfer and Steve Hammell

The only issue is that if the failures were big money signings, but I bet Tilly was in credit for transfer dealings in the 6 years.

Well said, Hammell signed for free sold for 150k.

When I spoke to him at Stansted Airport a few weeks ago he made it quite clear he felt L2 was beneath him which is more than fair and he wanted a decent move to resurect his career.

It would be amazing to keep him but I cant see it somehow.

Thanks
Dave

Not a chance. Hes one of the few players we could get a decent fee, money that could fund 2 or 3 free transfers. Also he clearly doesnt want to stay, his comments about Tillys sacking show that also.

Look at my earlier post and tell me that those players did not contribute to our success.

Read what I said again, I was makin a point about big money signings (100k +) and that is what I based success rate on. I think the success of Clarke is debatable and anyone who thinks JCR was goof needs to look at the facts, his goals & assists record was shocking.

My point was that Ron might have some money to spend and in the past Tilson has not spent well.

Read what I said again, I was makin a point about big money signings (100k +) and that is what I based success rate on. I think the success of Clarke is debatable and anyone who thinks JCR was goof needs to look at the facts, his goals & assists record was shocking.

My point was that Ron might have some money to spend and in the past Tilson has not spent well.

As far as JCR is concerned you're contradicting your own argument, simply we made a profit on him. FWIW you are right about Clarke.

It doesn't matter if a player cost 100k+ or nothing a team is the sum of all its parts.
Apart from which and as I pointed out on another thread, Tilly may indicate/recommend to the Chairman that he wants to sign a certain player, but the manager does not agree the fee nor the terms of the players contract.

So who's to blame for expensive players coming in, the manager who wants them or the chairman who authorises the expenditure?

Back