• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Embargo. Warning, this thread may contain positive views.

palexander

Life President
Been thinking about today's events. My take is, as long as Paul Sturrock remains in charge, I don't think the embargo is a problem - right now.

We've seen today, it hasn't stopped players committing theirselves to the club, nor the club issuing 2 year deals.

Sturrock seems to be able to attract a decent level of player and is determined to get a squad of 22, these players can train with us right now, play friendlies etc - so in effect have a perfectly normal pre-season. Then, come august 2nd all things being right, they just make it a formality.

I really cannot see the problem and why people are saying 'we are leaving it so late by getting the embargo lifted on the 2nd' etc.

I'm confident Sturrock can build a really good squad of free transfers this pre-season and positive something must be going on behind the scenes for him to be able to get these players to commit to southend rather than them wanting to try their luck elsewhere. Gilbert turned down a good deal at Northampton by all accounts to come here and if we do get Bayo in the next few days, then that is a major coup considering the noises he has been making.

Keep what ever little faith you have left!

Been thinking about today's events. My take is, as long as Paul Sturrock remains in charge, I don't think the embargo is a problem - right now.

We've seen today, it hasn't stopped players committing theirselves to the club, nor the club issuing 2 year deals.

Sturrock seems to be able to attract a decent level of player and is determined to get a squad of 22, these players can train with us right now, play friendlies etc - so in effect have a perfectly normal pre-season. Then, come august 2nd all things being right, they just make it a formality.

I really cannot see the problem and why people are saying 'we are leaving it so late by getting the embargo lifted on the 2nd' etc.

I'm confident Sturrock can build a really good squad of free transfers this pre-season and positive something must be going on behind the scenes for him to be able to get these players to commit to southend rather than them wanting to try their luck elsewhere. Gilbert turned down a good deal at Northampton by all accounts to come here and if we do get Bayo in the next few days, then that is a major coup considering the noises he has been making.

Keep what ever little faith you have left!

People have been asking why it's being left so late because if it all goes tits up on the 2nd August, and there's just as much chance of that happening as there is of us being OK, then we have, what, 5 days to get a squad together? And that ain't going to happen.

Yes, it seems like it's looking positive because the club are committing to pre-contract deals, but that could so easily be posturing to keep people happy, and equally, Sturrock could be successfully convincing people to come here because RM hasn't been entirely truthful with him about the state of the finances and the timeframe for the lifting of the embargo.

Until its lifted and players sign written contracts, I am in no way positive.

People have been asking why it's being left so late because if it all goes tits up on the 2nd August, and there's just as much chance of that happening as there is of us being OK, then we have, what, 5 days to get a squad together? And that ain't going to happen.

I'd suggest if it all goes tits up 2nd of august, then that's bye bye southend anyway?...

I'd suggest if it all goes tits up 2nd of august, then that's bye bye southend anyway?...

Well, not necessarily. It'll be administration, which will mean a 10-point deduction (although not by any means necessarily relegation) and potentially new owners.

It was a good effort by pboreham. It's just, and this isn't a slur on anyone in particular, I honestly don't see how anything can seem positive at the moment. We've been let down and lied to so many times, I think people can be forgiven for not wanting to believe anything until they see it. If Ron has masterfully duped Sturrock into believeing that funding is on the way and the embargo will be lifted, then Sturrock is bound to be able to convince players to sign pre-contract deals. If Ron was bending the truth to get Sturrock on board, then we're ****ed. People have to admit that this is a possibility at the moment.

well the positive thread lasted all of 5 minutes but i do appreciate the effort pboreham

But weren't those 5 minutes great. I'm sure one day we'll all look back fondly on them. And anyway don't those 5 minutes constitute a new SZ record for positivity?

Again, forgive me for not seeing any concrete reason to be positive at the moment. It's just blind optimism based on hope. Realism, based on evidence of the past year and, especially, the last month, makes me lean towards not being optimistic until I see concrete good news, because I'll just be let down and upset again.

Just being realistic and trying not to get my hopes up. Then if something good does happen, I'll be even happier, right?

I adopting a wait and see policy. This is Ron's last chance and i'm just hoping we pull through. As long as we get the embargo lifted and have a decent team out for the first game of the season then i'm not going to waiving anti-ron banners and singing "martin out". Tilly unfortunately had to go, as did Macca, Barrett, francis etc.

Despite all the uncertainty i'm actually quite excited about this season.

Sorry to further heap gloom on what was a truly heart warming opening piece, but what has Sturrock got to lose by coming here ?? he was unemployed anyway and due to his illness seemed unwanted, now he has a job albeit without a contract .. i suspect he will resign next week citing the problems at the club are far bigger than he imagined and the task to manage is a hopeless one, he's achieved nothing with us but will have got his name all over the media .. "poor old ill Sturrock duped into taking a non job" etc etc ...

It was a good effort by pboreham. It's just, and this isn't a slur on anyone in particular, I honestly don't see how anything can seem positive at the moment. We've been let down and lied to so many times, I think people can be forgiven for not wanting to believe anything until they see it. If Ron has masterfully duped Sturrock into believeing that funding is on the way and the embargo will be lifted, then Sturrock is bound to be able to convince players to sign pre-contract deals. If Ron was bending the truth to get Sturrock on board, then we're ****ed. People have to admit that this is a possibility at the moment.

Now that, is a big possibility.

Sorry to further heap gloom on what was a truly heart warming opening piece, but what has Sturrock got to lose by coming here ?? he was unemployed anyway and due to his illness seemed unwanted, now he has a job albeit without a contract .. i suspect he will resign next week citing the problems at the club are far bigger than he imagined and the task to manage is a hopeless one, he's achieved nothing with us but will have got his name all over the media .. "poor old ill Sturrock duped into taking a non job" etc etc ...

I really REALLY hope you are wrong.... but....

Until its lifted and players sign written contracts, I am in no way positive.

Agree 100%

WE HAVEN'T SIGNED ANYBODY YET!

Dress it up all you like, we've made a pre-contract agreement which isn't worth the paper it's written on till the embargo is lifted.

I want to find positives but hard as I look I can't see any.

Once again - agree totally. This isn't Jose Mourinho or Alex Ferguson we've persuaded to take over but a jobbing lower league manager with a mixed track record.

If I can use the old political swingometer............the last year or so (and particularly the last few months)..........it has swung heavily into negative territory...........the majority on here would claim that it has reached new extremes of negativity.
Over the last five days, with the news of Sturrock and the arrival of new players (all be it, like the manager, as yet unsigned) .........the pendulum has moved slightly back towards the positive. If I understand correctly, Martin, as he said, did have funds to pay the taxman.........unfortunately that problem continues, due to him crossing them one too many times. Where it will move from here? .....God knows!.........but at least, it has started to move in the positive direction. To bring back some real belief to us fans a big swing is required. That would only be brought about by one or two major events, the first being, the lifting of the transfer embargo ........so that we have a real manager and players signed up, rather than the illusion we have at the moment. The next would be the starting of FF. Are there signs of positivity (the old green shoots)???.................or is it just normal for persons in mortal danger to cling to a hope ...........any hope.............that, they think, will enable them to survive?

Agree 100%

WE HAVEN'T SIGNED ANYBODY YET!

Dress it up all you like, we've made a pre-contract agreement which isn't worth the paper it's written on till the embargo is lifted.

I want to find positives but hard as I look I can't see any.

Nah, of course its not worth the paper its written on, BUT, my only glimmer of hope in this is that the players have agreed to join in principle and if they didnt believe it was going to happen, I'm sure they'd rather be trialing with someone else (or signing better deals with their current clubs ala Gilbert) - than wasting precious time here.

Back