• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Evans Interview

palexander

Life President
Really honest interview with Evans on Player.

Says that any player out of contract at the moment would 'jump at the chance' to join any league club in the current climate, so it didnt take him long to decide.

No choice on the No.1 jersey yet - Sturrock wants genuine competition between the keepers.

Also says he nearly joined 8 years ago. Said he had an initial conversation with the then manager (Newman or Wignall?) and the local paper (Echo?) found out and started phoning Evans up asking him questions about the move... he said in the interview on Player that all that 'may get used against him at some point' so can anyone recall what he said as he hinted he wasnt happy about it at the time.

Said working with Lee Turner was excellent and even if he didnt sign here he would have taken alot away from the sessions.

All in all, sounds like a top bloke.

i do actually rate evans more than mildenhall, always have done and very surprised no one else signed him before us.

Cheers for the round up.

Any idea of doing one for the Soares interview as well................. ;)

Rhys Evans in 2003

Soccer: Keeper Evans is Blues target

From the archive, first published Monday 9th Jun 2003.

Southend United boss Steve Wignall revealed today he is trying to tempt England under-21 goalkeeper Rhys Evans to Roots Hall.

Blues are currently without a shot-stopper after releasing Darryl Flahavan and Danny Gay at the end of last season.

And Wignall said he wanted to plug the gap by capturing free transfer Evans, who could line-up against Slovakia in the European championships under-21 qualifier at the Stadium of Light tomorrow night.

"I first spoke to Rhys last month and it would be a massive coup if we could bring a keeper of his quality to Roots Hall," said the Shrimpers chief.

"We had a chat before he went away with the England under-21 squad, but I was left to fear the worst last week when he got injured during the 3-2 friendly win over Serbia and Montenegro.

"Rhys suffered a back spasm and had to be stretchered off the pitch just after half-time.

"But he rang me over the weekend to say he was okay now and hoped to play against Slovakia tomorrow night."

Evans, 21, has just been released by Chelsea, where he failed to make a Premiership appearance.

But the 6ft 1in custodian has tasted action on loan at Bristol Rovers, Leyton Orient and Queens Park Rangers, clocking up 22 league games.

Published Monday, June 9, 2003

I'm refusing to form an opinion on whether Evans and Morris are any good until wiggy and Yorkshire Blue have aired their views

Really honest interview with Evans on Player.

Says that any player out of contract at the moment would 'jump at the chance' to join any league club in the current climate, so it didnt take him long to decide.

Exactly the point I made when people were going on about "why would anyone sign for us?". Would wouldn't an unemployed footballer, looking around at the hundreds of unemployed footballers competing for one of the finite number of contracts at league clubs, want to come here? Sure, in an ideal World they'd want to know that they are getting paid at the end of the month, but they're in pretty much the one industry where they know that they are guaranteed to receive what is owed to them one way or other.

As for what he said back in the day, I seem to remember it being quite polite. Along the lines of how flattered he was to be wanted by us but that he was keen to play at as high a level as possible.

From 2004, the Trust newsletter. I remember now, he said League 2 was below him

jan 25: swindon town (h) w2-0 [ldv]
Just a couple of weeks after (sort of) relieving myself of my first-team duties with The Little Gazette, I was
thrust back into them by making notes for this newsletter! It all started off very well, as United strode into the
area final of the LDV Vans Trophy for the third time in just five seasons.
Swindon had knocked the Shrimpers out of the 2003/4 Carling Cup at Roots Hall, and when Steve Wignall
offered goalkeeper Rhys Evans the chance to sign for Blues from Chelsea in that summer, he had bemoaned our
lowly status.
Evans had egg well and truly on his face after 73 minutes of this match, though, as Nicky Nicolau swung in a
left-wing corner and it eluded everybody to settle into the bottom right-hand corner of the net. Lawrie Dudfield
had already easily outpaced Jerel Ifill to lob Evans in the first half.

Rhys Evans in 2003

Soccer: Keeper Evans is Blues target

From the archive, first published Monday 9th Jun 2003.

Southend United boss Steve Wignall revealed today he is trying to tempt England under-21 goalkeeper Rhys Evans to Roots Hall.

Blues are currently without a shot-stopper after releasing Darryl Flahavan and Danny Gay at the end of last season.

And Wignall said he wanted to plug the gap by capturing free transfer Evans, who could line-up against Slovakia in the European championships under-21 qualifier at the Stadium of Light tomorrow night.

"I first spoke to Rhys last month and it would be a massive coup if we could bring a keeper of his quality to Roots Hall," said the Shrimpers chief.

"We had a chat before he went away with the England under-21 squad, but I was left to fear the worst last week when he got injured during the 3-2 friendly win over Serbia and Montenegro.

"Rhys suffered a back spasm and had to be stretchered off the pitch just after half-time.

"But he rang me over the weekend to say he was okay now and hoped to play against Slovakia tomorrow night."

Evans, 21, has just been released by Chelsea, where he failed to make a Premiership appearance.

But the 6ft 1in custodian has tasted action on loan at Bristol Rovers, Leyton Orient and Queens Park Rangers, clocking up 22 league games.

Published Monday, June 9, 2003

I think he came down here for a trial, terms were agreed and he was set to sign, but he failed a medical when it was noticed that his hands were not "the size of dinner plates" as specified so we ended up with Carl Cumbersome

I think he came down here for a trial, terms were agreed and he was set to sign, but he failed a medical when it was noticed that his hands were not "the size of dinner plates" as specified so we ended up with Carl Cumbersome

No he turned us down, he didnt want to play at our level it was beneath him. However, I'm not holding it against him.

TBH i prefered Norwichs explanation Naps !!!

Does anyone know if his hands have grown since then? I can accept most things, I can accept everything that is going on at the club now, but I will not accept a goalkeeper if his hands cannot span an average sized dinner plate

Does anyone know if his hands have grown since then? I can accept most things, I can accept everything that is going on at the club now, but I will not accept a goalkeeper if his hands cannot span an average sized dinner plate

I thought it was Ron who had the "spinning plates" obsession??? ;)

As for what he said back in the day, I seem to remember it being quite polite. Along the lines of how flattered he was to be wanted by us but that he was keen to play at as high a level as possible.

From 2004, the Trust newsletter. I remember now, he said League 2 was below him

...when Steve Wignall offered goalkeeper Rhys Evans the chance to sign for Blues from Chelsea in that summer, he had bemoaned our
lowly status

You say tomato, I say, er, tomato. We can hardly hold it against any player offered the chance to play in a higher league.

Let's pass this debate over to LdnFasto.....he will have him out within a month.

Back