• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sturrock - complete idiot ?

So, come on glasgow, give me your rationale as to what he has done to ensure that the club does not succeed and how he would benefit from that.

At the end of the day my position has been clear on all this over the past 2 months.
I see no need to drag it all up again and leave myself open to further pursuit from the pro-Sturrock brigade, especially on a thread which the OP was commenting on the potential shortcomings of our new manager.

At the end of the day my position has been clear on all this over the past 2 months.
I see no need to drag it all up again and leave myself open to further pursuit from the pro-Sturrock brigade, especially on a thread which the OP was commenting on the potential shortcomings of our new manager.

You say the 'pro Sturrock brigade', like it is a bad thing!

He is our manager!

Glasgow, I'm sorry, usually you post some brilliant things but today I haven't read so much garbage since I last collapsed in an alleyway from a night on the whisky!

Last edited:

You've still dodged the question - and my one of who would be better suited to manage Southend at this current time instead of Paul Sturrock, with Tilson obviously not being an option.

The thing I don't get are Ron's comments - they never seem to say anything. Having asked the insiders, outsiders and everyone but his mum - no-one can offer me the DEFINITIVE reason for our problems.
Take last week's Tilly statement: '....A full statement will be made at a later date as to the circumstances surrounding the settlement of arrangements." Only Ron could say this statement says there will be another statement later.
The only clear-cut explanation he's ever offered was why we didn't appoint Stan Collymore as manager.
For a supposed successful businessman, he should either get a decent PR, or enrol in a plain-speaking course.

Has it?

I know how you feel, I'm just wondering why you think - specifically - that RM doesn't want this club to be successful as you stated earlier in this thread in response to a point about us all wanting the best for SUFC (notwithstanding what the OP states) and I don't think you've made that clear at all.

Ronald doesn't for #1...

In fact, I don't think anyone has made that clear. I've yet to see any decent rational argument from anyone which helps me understand why Ron would actively want this club to fold and why that has been his intention since he took over (as some feel).

I can totally appreciate why people hate him - they've been lied to, the clubs best players have been forced away, our most successful ever manager has been put on gardening leave - but none of this explains this is what he wanted to happen and why he will in any way benefit if the club drops into the Conference or folds.

Similarly, the same people moaning most loudly about the lack of quality in league two seem to be the biggest advocates of getting Ron out even if it means going into administration, a 10 point hit, probable drop into the conference and in some cases starting again at Southchurch Park (where of course the football on show will be SOOO much better).

So come on - I have a very open mind and am always willing to have it changed. All I need is a rational reason with evidence as to why he would be better off if we folded or went down even further. PM me if you don't want to clog the thread up.

Can't be bothered to read the whole thread (especially the off-topic over-sensitive self-centered bits) but I have a few thoughts on this.

1) The manager saying that on Saturday's showing the players don't deserve their wages is different from a situation where the players get paid late. In fact, people were posting on here last season that the players did't deserve to get their wages anyway, even if they had got them - now THAT's insensitive.

2) PS sang their praises rightly after the Bristol City game. He's just telling it how it is. Isn't that what we want to see from our manager? It is an improvement on Tilly, who I think RM forced out by engineering an impossible situation for him.

3) By saying that the players don't deserve their wages, he could actually have been making the point that they are lucky they do get them this season after what happened last year and that they should pull together and not take it for granted.

4) The only respect in which I think PS is an idiot is for taking on a situation like the one he's walked into at Roos Hall with a bunch of fans who seem so hell-bent on getting on the back of anyone new who has a bad day.

Still, another defeat to cheer ole GlasgowBlue up! Can hear the champagne corks popping tonight ;)

I suspect that is not actually who you mean, I also suspect that GlasgowSUFC will be equally as gutted as everyone else at the result.

This whole post is ridiculous. To call anyone in blue stupid is just crazy at this stage. Give the man a chance, 5 games in, a couple of very good performances and then the inconsistent ones. This is what happens when you completely rebuild an entire squad. Managers at the top would struggle to do any better and i for one think that we have the makings of a really decent squad. Given time they will come good because they are decent players at this level. The past is the past and we need to get on with it and show this new team our support. I will always be there supporting in the future when the players are well gone, we need to move on from what happened last season and start to build up again and that means in the stands. Tilson has gone and probably for the better as i dont think he had the energy in the end and dont think he could have rebuilt the squad the way PS has done.

As for the comment which started this post, why all the hassle. i dont have a problem with what he said and at least he talks sense and says how it is, something Tilson never did. UTB

As fan's we have the right to criticize individual player and team performance's.
Also to disagree with Manager's purchases (when he has the cash) and team selections etc.
We could also which we do a lot disagree with the chairman's decisions..

But as supporters of the club which I trust we all wish to do well should we be running a thread questioning if Sturrock is a complete idiot.

The answer in my opinion is clearly no as you do not achieve success and last as he has in the past without having some decent qualities as a manager.

He will make mistakes and do things many of us disagree with and by means say so then but for now surely we should be showing the man the respect he deserves for taking on a very very difficult job.

Just maybe it is time for this thread to be blocked ?

As fan's we have the right to criticize individual player and team performance's.
Also to disagree with Manager's purchases (when he has the cash) and team selections etc.
We could also which we do a lot disagree with the chairman's decisions..

But as supporters of the club which I trust we all wish to do well should we be running a thread questioning if Sturrock is a complete idiot.

The answer in my opinion is clearly no as you do not achieve success and last as he has in the past without having some decent qualities as a manager.

He will make mistakes and do things many of us disagree with and by means say so then but for now surely we should be showing the man the respect he deserves for taking on a very very difficult job.

Just maybe it is time for this thread to be blocked ?

Great call, think its run its course and the point has been debated. As you say, for me, the answer is 'no', of course Sturrock isnt an idiot!

Great comment from Sturrock after Saturdays game - "My players don't deserve their wages".
Either he has been on another planet the last few months, is totally insensitive to the previous players and what we as fans have had to put up with or he is just a complete idiot.

Last point - please Mr Sturrock we have just gone round the loop of players not getting paid, please don't start giving Ron Martin ideas on the new batch of players not being paid.
Ron does avery good job indeed in ensuring his staff don't get paid without you goading him.
Sky News Reporter,"so Mr Strauss,you must have been disappointed to lose the test match against Pakistan".
Andrew Strauss,"yeah,i was hoping for a bit of rain to save us"
Sky News Reporter,"you insensitive b*****d".

PAK66,if you want to slag Sturrock,find a better reason.

What?

Sky News Reporter,"so Mr Strauss,you must have been disappointed to lose the test match against Pakistan".
Andrew Strauss,"yeah,i was hoping for a bit of rain to save us"
Sky News Reporter,"you insensitive b*****d".

PAK66,if you want to slag Sturrock,find a better reason.

Have not a clue what you are talking about, I thought this was a football forum.
It might be what you take whilst listening to Tangerine Dream.

Back