• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Boss plots shake-up

a combination of illiterate garbage, speculation and the usual obsessive "Tilson GOOD, Sturrock BAD" rubbish. The fact is we are a small club, with no money, struggling to keep our heads above water in the hope that we can perhaps challenge for a playoff position at the end of this season and perhaps get this new stadium sorted and our finances stablised. Personally I do not understand the mentality of a some people who post on here as they seem to go looking for things wrong and are never happy until there is some new "he's lost the dressing room/there are discpline problems/bore bore speculate speculate."

I hope I am wrong in saying that I suspect the same folks are the ones who also boo players at the match. If I am not - please just chill.

Not the most literate post i've seen, pot and kettle springs to mind. Apologies for having a strong view on the current manager that doesn't align to yours, shame on me.

I'm sure he got a double promotion at Plymouth, plus single promotions at Sheffield Wednesday and Swindon. The only other English football league club he has managed is Southend and has had to go through a huge transitional period. Southampton were a Premiership club when he went there and were never going to challenge no matter who the manager was. He also played at a high level getting to the semi finals of the European Cup and as an international footballer making 20 apps and played in the 86 world cup finals in Mexico. He certainly knows the game inside out both playing and managering.

I will always respect Tilson for what he had achieved at Southend but what anyone says hd got lucky with Eastwood turning out to be a superstar for us. Some key players for us were already at the club such as Flahavan, Maher and Gower and were the spine of the team. Even in our title winning season we won it with a really low total number of points that in some seasons would get us to about 5th. Once Eastwood went, followed by Maher, Gower and Flahavan we were less effective and only looked decent with a fit Barnard. Like I say I am a Tilson and Brush fan and they did do well initially but then struggled, they ate not god and are struggling again at Lincoln.

Sturrock has pedigree, Tilson went ages ago and it's about time all our fans move on from the Tilson era, support Sturrock and judge him when the season ends

If Tilson 'got lucky with Eastwood' then Johnson got lucky with Jevons at Yeovil, Jackett got lucky with Trundle at Swansea, Scunthorpe got lucky with Sharp, Col U with Cureton, Mk Dons with McLeod, Swansea with Scotland, Leeds with Beckford. I could go on. It's such a **** argument!

The low points total in 05-06 of which you speak does not in any way take the shine of what the team achieved that season. End of season jitters led to only 4 wins in the last 10 games. There was a point in late March/early April where we were still well on course for getting into the mid-90s in points and were 8 points clear. It happens. Point is we were champions and that's that.

I'm not just defending Tilson here. Comments like your's don't just do him a disservice - they do the whole squad of 2004-2006 a disservice too. Ridiculous! Plus I don't think his struggles at Lincoln are solely down to his managerial abilities.

Back on topic, I don't think Sturrock's lost the dressing room yet but I fear that he might if he reverts to the type of football he played against Burton. I hope he does shake things up tomorrow if possible because certain players need to know that they're not automatic starters and that they need to put the effort and level of performance in to keep their places.

If Sturrock fails to take Southend up, we will be the blot on his CV. His record in the lower leagues elsewhere is pretty faultless. He's led a number of clubs to promotion - this isn't a fluke - he didn't get lucky once with a centre forward from Grays. He's as good a manager as any at this level, and we should remember that. If we let him go, someone else will take him bloody quick.

Lets hope Sturrock gets lucky with a player soon otherwise we will be in this division for another season.

Paul Sturrock 62 Games, won 22, drawn 18, lost 22. Win percentage 35.48.
Steve Tilson 358 Games, won 142, drawn 88, lost 128. Win percentage 39.66.

I would imagine Tilson's win percentage as our manager when all was going well, was over 50% which is what you need for promotion.

again, utter rubbish. People have short memories. Bet you weren't complaining after that 2nd successive promotion.

I wasn't complaining, 2 promotions in a row was dream land.

Can you honestly say, hand on heart, that we would have got either promotion had Freddy not signed? I think one of the main reasons the Goat signed was to play with Freddy so no Freddy, no Goat either.

Can you honestly say, hand on heart, that we would have got either promotion had Freddy not signed? I think one of the main reasons the Goat signed was to play with Freddy so no Freddy, no Goat either.

I think that's utter bollocks. A seasoned pro like Goater would have listened long and hard to the manager and his plans before signing. I doubt Goater had a poster of Freddy on his wall and was knocking one out at the prospect of playing with him.

Did Ferguson get lucky last year then when Berbatov scored for fun in the first half of the season then he got lucky again with Hernandez ?

I think that's utter bollocks. A seasoned pro like Goater would have listened long and hard to the manager and his plans before signing. I doubt Goater had a poster of Freddy on his wall and was knocking one out at the prospect of playing with him.

Did Ferguson get lucky last year then when Berbatov scored for fun in the first half of the season then he got lucky again with Hernandez ?

I happen to agree with you on this point actually!
But the 'I think that's utter bollocks' is sort of unnecessary mate!

Freddy was a shining light in a team of diamonds, that's why we got promoted. It wasn't the all round quality of the team it was how close nit the team was. We had a fairly small squad, with barely any injuries. And a lot of the squad played nearly all the games.

The midfield was

Gower Bentley Maher Pettifer

They new eachother like the back of their hands (LOL sorry).

Not exactly a flair filled midfield. But we did the simple things well!

Amazing years!

But I happen to think now we are onto something better. We just need PS to get the balance of the midfield right!

COME ON YOU BLUES!

I think we probably would have because we would have signed somebody else. Tilson had a lot of players on his radar!
But I suppose you are saying take the goals out of the seasons that Freddy scored I will have a look as that will be quite interesting!

I happen to agree with you on this point actually!
But the 'I think that's utter bollocks' is sort of unnecessary mate!

Freddy was a shining light in a team of diamonds, that's why we got promoted. It wasn't the all round quality of the team it was how close nit the team was. We had a fairly small squad, with barely any injuries. And a lot of the squad played nearly all the games.

The midfield was

Gower Bentley Maher Pettifer

They new eachother like the back of their hands (LOL sorry).

Not exactly a flair filled midfield. But we did the simple things well!

Amazing years!

But I happen to think now we are onto something better. We just need PS to get the balance of the midfield right!

COME ON YOU BLUES!

The phrase "utter bollocks" isn't necessarily an aggressive one, it is to liken one's written words to that of a hairy scrotom, which i'm sure you will agree isn't as bad as the word ****, **** smells nasty and is disliked universally by all, men and women, however women like bollocks, so davewebbsbrain shouldn't take it to heart for he has only spoken half a load of **** if you look at it like that :winking:

When we won league 1 without Freddy we would have dropped 15 points we would have finished on 67 points (I think) which would have put us in 9th place!

in 2004 / 2005 we would have dropped 14 points finishing on 64 points in 11th place.

I might have a look at other players goals aswell.

But it's such a ridiculous thing to say without Eastwood we wouldn't have gone up, fair enough it is a FACT but that's just completely undermining the whole squad from those years.

We would have probably signed someone else would who have scored goals to win us points.

I suggest taking a look here http://sufcdb.co.uk/index.phpoption=com_phpresults&Itemid=59&wseason=2005

Look at all those 'green' highlighted games. Look at the goal scorers.
Remember those heroic tackles from Prior, Barret, Sodje and Edwards.

Remember those goals Gower scored remember him cutting inside, putting the defender on the floor and smashing it in the bottom corner.

Remember Dudfield, Gray, the Goat who scored vitals goals aswell.

Remember Pettifer playing a full season. Bentley bossing the midfield. Maher playing for us for 10 seasons captaining us to 3 finals and a promotion.

Remember Che Wilson, who was quite an average player but battled and new his limits.

All the other players I haven't mentioned they all played a part!

Remember smashing Col U.

Remember all those things.

That was Tilson and Brushes Squad!

We were quality!

EDIT - Also one more thing to point out is that we lost 4 on the trot. In November. Which shows that you don't need to panic when it comes to early on in the season!

But who's to say if we hadn't got Freddy in the side we may have had someone even better. If you take his goals out it makes it a 10 man team.

I'm getting fed up with all this Freddy won us promotion nonsense, he was decent but not great, he had his faults and hasn't gone on to do anything since leaving us.

If people want to throw some criticism at Tilson then the way he misjudged Hooper was a spectacular mistake.

But who's to say if we hadn't got Freddy in the side we may have had someone even better. If you take his goals out it makes it a 10 man team.

I'm getting fed up with all this Freddy won us promotion nonsense, he was decent but not great, he had his faults and hasn't gone on to do anything since leaving us.

If people want to throw some criticism at Tilson then the way he misjudged Hooper was a spectacular mistake.

He definitely had his faults, but you could never take him off, he could pop up after 85 minutes of doing nothing and have one touch look up and score from anywhere.

He was great.

But I agree he did have his faults.

He definitely had his faults, but you could never take him off, he could pop up after 85 minutes of doing nothing and have one touch look up and score from anywhere.

He was great.

Tilson took Eastwood off after about 80 mins against Brentford, mind you we were 4-1 up at the time, I dont think Eastwood scored in that match either, will have to check.
Also I seem to remember Eastwood being dropped to the bench for a few matches I can remember him coming on after 80 mins or so against Blackpool away and scoring the winner.

Tilson took Eastwood off after about 80 mins against Brentford, mind you we were 4-1 up at the time, I dont think Eastwood scored in that match either, will have to check.
Also I seem to remember Eastwood being dropped to the bench for a few matches I can remember him coming on after 80 mins or so against Blackpool away and scoring the winner.

yea, dont think he get back in after a red card did he? Few games on the bench.

But he WAS a great player, for our level at least and anyone saying anything to contrary is bonkers too be fair! A rare bread of striker, who, like Collymore, didnt really need service at all to score goals and could win games on his own.

He was great.

Irony: faced with the prospect of a Sturrock/Crawford forward pairing, we are discussing Freddie Eastwood's faults !!!!

yea, dont think he get back in after a red card did he? Few games on the bench.

But he WAS a great player, for our level at least and anyone saying anything to contrary is bonkers too be fair! A rare bread of striker, who, like Collymore, didnt really need service at all to score goals and could win games on his own.
that was quality man management - 4 games out with the red card ban being extended and then Tilson left him on the bench so he didn't think he was untouchable - then when he was allowed back he was back on a scoring spree. Think it was Hooper than kept Freddy out of the team for the extra couple of matches?

that was quality man management - 4 games out with the red card ban being extended and then Tilson left him on the bench so he didn't think he was untouchable - then when he was allowed back he was back on a scoring spree. Think it was Hooper than kept Freddy out of the team for the extra couple of matches?

For some strange reason I actually think it was James Lawson that kept him out after his ban. Didnt Lawson also score two on the bounce!!!

i agree with mick, none of the current playing squad, can even be mentioned in the same breath as the team that won successive promotions, sturrock or eastwood, barratt or mouldy bile, maher or grant, hall or gower, morris or flahavan,
the list is endless, we have a bunch of journeymen, and not quite good enough players

i agree with mick, none of the current playing squad, can even be mentioned in the same breath as the team that won successive promotions, sturrock or eastwood, barratt or mouldy bile, maher or grant, hall or gower, morris or flahavan,
the list is endless, we have a bunch of journeymen, and not quite good enough players

Those examples apart from Eastwood I'd say might be as good! Hall and Gower are certainly close. However Gower is now playing holding midfield in the Prem, but he has seriously developed as a footballer!

I have just wasted 10 mins of my life reading another thread that starts with the present and then ends up being a discussion about Tilson v Sturrock. Why oh why cant people move on from the Tilson thing. yes we had some great years under Tilson whether it be by luck, skill, people management etc. BUT, we also suffered two relegations and since leaving he has relegated Lincoln and they are now struggling in the Conference with half the team made up of old southend players(slight exaggeration).

Sturrock does have an excellant managerial record and i still believe will come good. Our record this season isnt bad and we have suffered some awful injury situations. This week we may have Corr, Dickinson, Harris, Johnson and Sawyer back and then the picture will look better again.

Please, please history is the past and important, but lets focus on the present and the future.

UTB, 2-0 tonite

Back