• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Boss plots shake-up

I wasn't complaining, 2 promotions in a row was dream land.

Can you honestly say, hand on heart, that we would have got either promotion had Freddy not signed? I think one of the main reasons the Goat signed was to play with Freddy so no Freddy, no Goat either.

Who knows? Would someone else have been signed rather than Eastwood? Would that different signing have scored 20 goals? Who knows. It's speculative and therefore a heavily flawed argument.

What I'm saying is that the argument that Tilson was lucky because he acquired a 20+ goal striker is an argument that can be levelled against 75% of the managers in the FL, including your Alex Fergusons and Arsene Wengers. So why is Tilson being singled out with this argument? Almost all successful teams have a goalscorer.....

I have just wasted 10 mins of my life reading another thread that starts with the present and then ends up being a discussion about Tilson v Sturrock. Why oh why cant people move on from the Tilson thing. yes we had some great years under Tilson whether it be by luck, skill, people management etc. BUT, we also suffered two relegations and since leaving he has relegated Lincoln and they are now struggling in the Conference with half the team made up of old southend players(slight exaggeration).

Sturrock does have an excellant managerial record and i still believe will come good. Our record this season isnt bad and we have suffered some awful injury situations. This week we may have Corr, Dickinson, Harris, Johnson and Sawyer back and then the picture will look better again.

Please, please history is the past and important, but lets focus on the present and the future.

UTB, 2-0 tonite

You've just wasted another 3 mins replying too :smile:

A mixed record in my opinion.

Sacked by Southampton

Sacked by Sheffield Wednesday

Walked out on Swindon

Sacked (moved upstairs) by Plymouth

Promotion with Plymouth then leaves 12 games before end of the next season when they are in a strong position, very strange.

Promotion with Swindon

Promotion with Sheffield Wednesday

So yes he's had some success but it's a very chequered managerial career to date.

I think it's natural for those who thought Tilson was treated unfairly to compare his record to Sturrock who some people would have you believe is the messiah that will lead us to the promised land. I think he's an average manager with a history of being sacked or leaving clubs.

The low points total in 05-06 of which you speak does not in any way take the shine of what the team achieved that season. End of season jitters led to only 4 wins in the last 10 games. There was a point in late March/early April where we were still well on course for getting into the mid-90s in points and were 8 points clear. It happens. Point is we were champions and that's that.

nothing to do with Sodje getting crocked at Bournemouth then ?

For some strange reason I actually think it was James Lawson that kept him out after his ban. Didnt Lawson also score two on the bounce!!!
I think you are right, when I said Hooper I was also thinking it may have been Fitzpatrick but Lawson sounds more convincing. That must be the highlight of his career 'I kept Freddy on the bench.....for 2 extra games'.

I think it's natural for those who thought Tilson was treated unfairly to compare his record to Sturrock who some people would have you believe is the messiah that will lead us to the promised land. I think he's an average manager with a history of being sacked or leaving clubs.[/QUOTE]

I dont think Tilson was treated unfairly. He did well and then struggled. I think the time was right for him to leave, however, his cv now reads three relegations. Who knows what would have happened had he stayed etc

My original point was really that why do a lot of threads on here revert back to a sturrock v tilson. They are very different people, managing under different circumstances both of whom have pros and cons next to their names. I just wish people could move on from the tilson era. last season i could understand the tilson loving now i dont.

the facts are that we are in league two and have a side made up of league two players, some journeyman and some wanting to improve and prove a point and a few raw talents. thus far this season we have won 4, drawn 2 (excl pens) and lost three, not a disaster of a start by any means. big game tonite and one that the fans need to be up for. utb

he struggled because he for whatever reason, was denied the resources that sturrock has?? remember not having enough players to fill the sbus bench at leeds?? also players not being paid tends to lead to players "not being up for it". How players has sturrock signed in just over calander year

I think it's natural for those who thought Tilson was treated unfairly to compare his record to Sturrock who some people would have you believe is the messiah that will lead us to the promised land. I think he's an average manager with a history of being sacked or leaving clubs.

I dont think Tilson was treated unfairly. He did well and then struggled. I think the time was right for him to leave, however, his cv now reads three relegations. Who knows what would have happened had he stayed etc

My original point was really that why do a lot of threads on here revert back to a sturrock v tilson. They are very different people, managing under different circumstances both of whom have pros and cons next to their names. I just wish people could move on from the tilson era. last season i could understand the tilson loving now i dont.

the facts are that we are in league two and have a side made up of league two players, some journeyman and some wanting to improve and prove a point and a few raw talents. thus far this season we have won 4, drawn 2 (excl pens) and lost three, not a disaster of a start by any means. big game tonite and one that the fans need to be up for. utb

People just can't let go. It happens in all facets of life and to a point is understandable

People just can't let go. It happens in all facets of life and to a point is understandable

I actually find this really sad that people cant move on from the Tilson era. I have supported this club for 32 years and within reason one season finishes and the new one starts, thats life, history is there for a reason and at times you need to look back and compare, history contributes to the good and bad of any club. BUT, we are in the present. Tilly left over a year ago. we should be grateful for the good years and sad for the last two he managed.

The club needs to move forward on and off the pitch. From what i gather PS and Tara work very well together, the financial state of the club has improved, it doesnt appear that RM is interfering anywhere near as much, i just wonder whether the situation would have been the same with Tilly still here and in what division we would now be playing.

Lets look forward and get behind PS and the team, starting tonite.

You've just wasted another 3 mins replying too :smile:

A mixed record in my opinion.

Sacked by Southampton

Sacked by Sheffield Wednesday

Walked out on Swindon

Sacked (moved upstairs) by Plymouth

Promotion with Plymouth then leaves 12 games before end of the next season when they are in a strong position, very strange.

Promotion with Swindon

Promotion with Sheffield Wednesday

So yes he's had some success but it's a very chequered managerial career to date.

I remember Sturrock as a player when he single handedly took Barcelona apart at the Nou Camp.Moved into coaching and managed to get St Johnstone promoted in his second season.Went to Plymouth who were in the bottom three of league two.Finished the season in the top ten.Following season, won the league with over 100 points.Then consolidated before being snapped up by Southampton.He left Plymouth with them being 7or 8 points clear at the top with 11 games to go.They went on to win the league.Coughlan was the mainstay of the team.Sacked by Southampton( primmadonna players ?) after obtaining 17 points from 13 matches in the premiership.Onto Sheffield Wednesday, lying 16th after 20 games.Won promotion through the play-offs.This was a club £25 millions in debt.Consolidated again for two seasons until sacked.One season at Swindon,shock horror,another promotion.Back to Plymouth finishing 10th in the championship.Struggled the next season having sold all the best players.It's pretty impressive if you ask me and stands comparison with 95% of other managers.Agree that it's mainly lower level but then look where we are.
Is there anyone more qualified to succeed?

I remember Sturrock as a player when he single handedly took Barcelona apart at the Nou Camp.Moved into coaching and managed to get St Johnstone promoted in his second season.Went to Plymouth who were in the bottom three of league two.Finished the season in the top ten.Following season, won the league with over 100 points.Then consolidated before being snapped up by Southampton.He left Plymouth with them being 7or 8 points clear at the top with 11 games to go.They went on to win the league.Coughlan was the mainstay of the team.Sacked by Southampton( primmadonna players ?) after obtaining 17 points from 13 matches in the premiership.Onto Sheffield Wednesday, lying 16th after 20 games.Won promotion through the play-offs.This was a club £25 millions in debt.Consolidated again for two seasons until sacked.One season at Swindon,shock horror,another promotion.Back to Plymouth finishing 10th in the championship.Struggled the next season having sold all the best players.It's pretty impressive if you ask me and stands comparison with 95% of other managers.Agree that it's mainly lower level but then look where we are.

great post and the answer NO!

tangerine dream... couldnt agree any more mate

we need to get behind the side tonight and stick with them, we could have some important players back soon which will indeed help us, thet's help and not hinder

UTB

On 23 August 2004 it was announced that Sturrock was leaving the club 'by mutual consent', after a disappointing run of form and rumours of player unrest and boardroom dissatisfaction with his management.

On 23 August 2004 it was announced that Sturrock was leaving the club 'by mutual consent', after a disappointing run of form and rumours of player unrest and boardroom dissatisfaction with his management.
Got it wrong then,he wasn't sacked! The 17 points from 13 matches is a fact.It would equate to 50 points in a season in the premiership.After he left, i think they won one match in the next 25 and got relegated.Clever move by the board.

Not the most literate post i've seen, pot and kettle springs to mind. Apologies for having a strong view on the current manager that doesn't align to yours, shame on me.

What makes you think I was referring to you? it was a general comment about a number of posters, not an individual attack. Reign your ego in.

And i would be very interested to receive your critique of my literacy in the post I made.

Unsurprisingly, very few changes of note. These players that won't play for the club again for a long while is basically Crawford then...?

Ah well, let's see if actions speak louder than words on the pitch.

Where were all the changes you were going to make Sturrock ? Another dire performance and a very lucky 3 points.

Maybe now some of you will realise why I think the man is a clown.

Back