• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Beating West Ham at Home
Newcastle getting a severe stuffing on New years day
Beating Spurs in the league cup
The 5-2 demolition of Bolton in our relegation season

Domination wise , it would be the two FA Cup games in 69 19 goals at home in the first two rounds is pretty convincing , albeit against non league opposition

I've seen just about all the great games mentioned here (well since the Webb days anyway...) The second half of the Derby away game was probably the most exciting football I've ever seen us play and the pinnacle of the Judas Fry era. However, I would say Col U away in the League 1 title winning season deserves a shout. 3-0 up at half time against our nearest promotion rivals and local derby sent out such a statement at that time.

Beating that Judas **** on his return to Roots Hall.

A magic, magic day. Right up there with beating W*** H**.

There were a number of great performances during our League One title-winning season when you really felt like you were watching the best team in the league. 4-3 away at Chesterfield stands out for me, great rollercoaster of a game and probably the best individual performance I've ever seen from a Southend player (Eastwood). Obviously the Man United game stands out too. Good thread.

Man City 3rd Round FA CUP 29,000 packed into Roots Hall.I will never forget the heroics of Bert Trautmann the Man City keeper on a glue pot Roots Hall pitch.

Man City 3rd Round FA CUP 29,000 packed into Roots Hall.I will never forget the heroics of Bert Trautmann the Man City keeper on a glue pot Roots Hall pitch.

:thumbsup: I would have loved to have seen that. Said to be one of Trautmann's best ever performances.

For me, being 12 at the time SUFC v Liverpool, that game has always stuck in my mind

same as me liverpool game who hit the post that night for us thought it was stewart parker but not so sure.I was 15 and jampacked in the south bank.

My first ever game will always be one that i cherish.

At home to luton in the 92-93 season and a 2-1 win that see's blues stay in the championship/div 1.

I personally think that the games against

QPR 5-0

and Chelsea 1-1 away from home are up there.

My absoloute favourite was the 2-2 at swansea that got us into the championship. Cracking match

Biggest occasion was SUFC v Liverpool both home and away, and SUFC v Man U, when we maintained our 100% record against Sir Alex. Best football match, there have been a few including SUFC V Swansea 1 year cannot remember when but was a 0-0. Football from both sides was amazing except for there being no goals. Without doubt the best 0-0 I have ever seen. Another was against Charlton in Division 2 as it was then from memory think it was 2-2.

Another was beating West Ham 1-0 at Roots Hall and seeing Fatty Fry run around like a loony. When he left it was great to beat the Birmingham side which included some of our ex players. Haqppy Days.

Not a win but I always remember with fondness Rushden at home on Boxing Day (I think), 4 down at half time only to come back to level it and Leo Roget so nealry got the winner in injury time.

Not a win but I always remember with fondness Rushden at home on Boxing Day (I think), 4 down at half time only to come back to level it and Leo Roget so nealry got the winner in injury time.

I think we were 2-0 down against Rushden and came back to win 4-2. Barrington Belgrave and Mark Rawle running riot.

We came from 3-0 down against someone like Mansfield to draw 3-3 and nearly nicked it.

Bit harsh on a newbie who may not have scoured the SZ archives.

FWIW I agree about that Bournemout match, Southend were transposed into Brazil that night. It was the first away game we attended as a group without have the "pleasure" of an appropriate adult in tow.

Another from the same saeson Swindon away in the Cup we won 2-0, Swindon won the League Cup that season beating Arsenal in the final, but so many others.

Same for me and my mates.And it was a scorching day in August as I recall.Would also agree that the Swindon game was something special too.
There was also an astonishing 1-0 home win against Swansea that sticks in the memory from that season for the sheer quality of the football played.

The point is that Southend played like an International team that night.It so happened they were wearing Scotland shirts that season.
(I enjoyed seeing the Fry game too,btw).

Nice for someone in Scotland shirts to play like an international side then:thumbsup:

That DJ Campbell goal was a beauty
Certainly was. One of those rare occasions watching football at this level where you think "****, he can finish". No surprise to see him play at higher levels since then. Best performances relate back to the Fry and Webb eras for me. There was a short period just before Fry left when we were virtually unplayable with Otto in particular wreaking havoc.

That Derby away game (93) really was the summit of the Fry era, and the Baseball Ground was a cauldron. Brilliant. I find performances difficult to remember in detail, but matches stick. 2-0 down to Newport in the 70's with about 15 minutes left and we won 4-2, and the promotion game at Swansea. Not a brilliant performance, but a fantastic atmosphere. Mind you, the second half at Northampton this season was great, too.

Iloved the Swindon away winning 2-0 and the Newcastle game, which probably is my tops. Also want to mention when we beat Aston Villa 1-0 in the cup 1971-72. Beating QPR 4-0 featured one of the best veer goals (Steve Clark) and beating them 5-0 was great fun but gave the illusion that we would stay up.
Any away victory is just great

"Cockleshell Heroes" due to the tons of cockleshells laid to apparently help drain the pitch ... wouldn't happen today! As a young lad, I remember asking my Dad why we were playing in gold and black. Trautmann made several amazing saves, two in particular from Roy Hollis headers. Man City went on to win the FA Cup of course.

Back