• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Westcliff Shrimper

Director of Footballs⭐
The vast majority of threads on this board seem to be about either the keeper, the midfield (non-existent until recently) or the forwards, but nothing has been really said about the defence.

Apologies for being positive, but isn't the defence blindingly good?

Taking them one by one:

Sean Clohessy: Mr Consistent, and has been ever since he joined the club. Excellent crosser of the ball.

Mark Phillips: Player of the Year, and deservedly so. A touch injury prone, but a good pro and has chipped in with important goals.

Ryan Cresswell: AB Mark 2? Early front runner for Player of the Year in my eyes. Had Tom Pope in his pocket last week, which illustrates how well he has settled in. Scoring regularly at will - future captain...

Chris Barker: Not as quick as he has been, but seems to be better at left back. Still capable of putting a decent cross in and a threat at both ends. Former player of the year, and forms a decent back line with the others.

The Back-Up:

Luke Prosser: Most improved player in my eyes. Bit unlucky not to have played more games, but an excellent option to have on the bench.

Anthony Straker: An international no less... Still to settle in.

Ryan Leonard: Supposed to be a right-back, but will struggle to get on the bench at the moment...

Probably the best back line we've had since the League One Championship side - a decent midfield has helped, but the case for the defence is a pretty decent one...

The vast majority of threads on this board seem to be about either the keeper, the midfield (non-existent until recently) or the forwards, but nothing has been really said about the defence.

Apologies for being positive, but isn't the defence blindingly good?

Taking them one by one:

Sean Clohessy: Mr Consistent, and has been ever since he joined the club. Excellent crosser of the ball.

Mark Phillips: Player of the Year, and deservedly so. A touch injury prone, but a good pro and has chipped in with important goals.

Ryan Cresswell: AB Mark 2? Early front runner for Player of the Year in my eyes. Had Tom Pope in his pocket last week, which illustrates how well he has settled in. Scoring regularly at will - future captain...

Chris Barker: Not as quick as he has been, but seems to be better at left back. Still capable of putting a decent cross in and a threat at both ends. Former player of the year, and forms a decent back line with the others.

The Back-Up:

Luke Prosser: Most improved player in my eyes. Bit unlucky not to have played more games, but an excellent option to have on the bench.

Anthony Straker: An international no less... Still to settle in.

Ryan Leonard: Supposed to be a right-back, but will struggle to get on the bench at the moment...

Probably the best back line we've had since the League One Championship side - a decent midfield has helped, but the case for the defence is a pretty decent one...

Agreed except for one thing. It was Phillips that had Pope in his pocket last week against Port Vale. Awesome display it was too. I've seen the highlights of yesterdays game though and Phillips didn't defend well for Torquays goal.

Agreed except for one thing. It was Phillips that had Pope in his pocket last week against Port Vale. Awesome display it was too. I've seen the highlights of yesterdays game though and Phillips didn't defend well for Torquays goal.

You are right - thanks for pointing that out, Pope must have took one look at Cresswell and thought I'll try the other defender... :winking:

We can always go through every goal, but on the whole I have been really impressed with the organisation at the back. GC can take a bit of credit there methinks...

I think the fact that the defence doesnt get mentioned a great deal is a sure sign that they are doing the right things. Ive yet to see a better right back than clohessey in this division and he could play league one. Phillips, barker are wiley campaigners, cresswell is a unit of a CB that gets goals, prosser has improved so much probably a bit harsh that he does not get into the team.

I read through the Torquay forum earlier and there were loads of comments about how well Cresswell had marked Howe out of the game on Saturday.

Chris Barker seems a different player now to the one who was struggling at the end of last season.

Back