• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0, Gillingham 1

Ricky Holmes please Luggy.....

Merely repeating what I've been told, but we apparently approached Barnet during the summer and Holmes was very interested in joining, but Barnet enacted a clause in his contract to extend his for a further year, and the fee Barnet subsequently requested was exorbitant to say the least. He's out of contract in the summer and intimated that he won't be sticking around... Barnet forums suggest we've gone back in for him.

Merely repeating what I've been told, but we apparently approached Barnet during the summer and Holmes was very interested in joining, but Barnet enacted a clause in his contract to extend his for a further year, and the fee Barnet subsequently requested was exorbitant to say the least. He's out of contract in the summer and intimated that he won't be sticking around... Barnet forums suggest we've gone back in for him.

Personally I'm not sure that Holmes is an upgrade on Martin, but in Luggy we trust.

Personally I'm not sure that Holmes is an upgrade on Martin, but in Luggy we trust.

I'm not entirely sure how we'd accommodate him. Our unbeaten run was built on the midfield combination of Laird, Timlin and Tamika providing a solid base from which Tomlin, Assombalonga and Hurst could work from. Holmes would certainly take some of the mantle from Hurst, but I'd suggest it isn't worth unsettling that formula just to crowbar in a player who's performed well for Barnet. I'm not doubting Holmes' ability here, he'd be a good asset for us, but replacing Mkandawire, or somehow convincing Millwall to extend his stay, simply has to be Sturrock's top priority in this window.

Sounds like excellent keeping to me. What's the point in diving for a ball you can't reach and then being out of the game when it rebounds off the post.

Plus of course if with his height he'd been sprawled on the floor the rebound ball off the post could have hit his body and pinged into the goal. That would have led to a great deal of moaning.

Other than not having a cap in the first half, I thought Smith had another good game. One instinct save stopped Gills going further ahead in that poor first half and still kept us in it.

Barrett's experience of playing at RH showed in the decision to attack the north bank goal 1st half. Thought defensively they looked far more committed than we did, and considering Barrett's legs are several seasons older than when we had him, you'd never have guessed. Barrett and Legge had Assombalonga in their pocket all day long, and Tomlin was getting little joy first half, largely because Gillingham were, unfortunately, far better than us.

Poor old Laird having a tooth knocked out by an elbow cost us too as we were never able to dominate the midfield with that - nor with him being off the field for about 10 mins! - and with Tam having probably his worst performance for us. Timlin misplaced far too many passes and Hurst didn't get to attacking really until the 2nd half. Gillingham attacked well down their right and Barks was under pressure throughout. I felt Smith did ok but there were a couple of incidents where he clearly should have taken command and come for a ball, the one where Prosser kicked the ball out rather than try and pass back to him is one clear incident.

Game was calling out for Freddy, he's probably the only one of our forward players who might have caused Barrett some problems. I thought Corr was inadequate when he came on, to me, he just doesn't look fit and his judging of headers was way off, also had best of our chances during the game and failed to put it away. Quite impressed with Donnelly when he made an appearance, and that he did, suggests to me that we'll be keeping him on.

Smith - 6,
Clohessy - 6.5
Cresswell - 6.5
Prosser - 7
Barker - 6.5
Hurst - 7
Laird - 7
Mkandawire - 6
Timlin - 6
Tomlin - 7
Assombalonga - 6

Subs:
Corr for Laird - 6
Eastwood for Assombalonga - 7
Donnelly for Mkandawire - 7

18 shots, 7 on target and with 12 corners suggests to me we really should have got something out of that match.

Barrett's experience of playing at RH showed in the decision to attack the north bank goal 1st half. Thought defensively they looked far more committed than we did, and considering Barrett's legs are several seasons older than when we had him, you'd never have guessed. Barrett and Legge had Assombalonga in their pocket all day long, and Tomlin was getting little joy first half, largely because Gillingham were, unfortunately, far better than us.

Poor old Laird having a tooth knocked out by an elbow cost us too as we were never able to dominate the midfield with that - nor with him being off the field for about 10 mins! - and with Tam having probably his worst performance for us. Timlin misplaced far too many passes and Hurst didn't get to attacking really until the 2nd half. Gillingham attacked well down their right and Barks was under pressure throughout. I felt Smith did ok but there were a couple of incidents where he clearly should have taken command and come for a ball, the one where Prosser kicked the ball out rather than try and pass back to him is one clear incident.

Game was calling out for Freddy, he's probably the only one of our forward players who might have caused Barrett some problems. I thought Corr was inadequate when he came on, to me, he just doesn't look fit and his judging of headers was way off, also had best of our chances during the game and failed to put it away. Quite impressed with Donnelly when he made an appearance, and that he did, suggests to me that we'll be keeping him on.

Smith - 6,
Clohessy - 6.5
Cresswell - 6.5
Prosser - 7
Barker - 6.5
Hurst - 7
Laird - 7
Mkandawire - 6
Timlin - 6
Tomlin - 7
Assombalonga - 6

Subs:
Corr for Laird - 6
Eastwood for Assombalonga - 7
Donnelly for Mkandawire - 7

18 shots, 7 on target and with 12 corners suggests to me we really should have got something out of that match.

I really can't see why you are rating Eastwood so highly. He did 3 things of note.

1. Slip over by the touchline.
2. Make a really wild lash at goal that went out of the ground when he had loads of time to compose himself.
3. Put a lovely ball into the box from the byline.

I really hope that when he does finally get a start he does something to warrant peoples constant praising of him, but I honestly don't think it will happen.

As for knowing how to cause Barrett problems, he may have done 6 odd years ago but not now. He doesn't seem to be able to cause anyone any problems at the moment. What is missing I don't know but Sturrock isn't playing him for a reason. That reason I do not know but I do not believe for one minute it's because Sturrock doesn't like him. No manager worth their salts won't play a good player because they don't like him

What is missing I don't know but Sturrock isn't playing him for a reason. That reason I do not know but I do not believe for one minute it's because Sturrock doesn't like him. No manager worth their salts won't play a good player because they don't like him

Again, I'm assuming everyone has forgotten about Sturrock saying he still has little injuries preventing him from playing well/often. This is why he's not playing, not because Sturrock doesn't like him. He will get his chance when he is fit and ready, which at the moment, he is not.

Eastwood will get starts when he starts outperforming the other forward options.

He's currently 4th choice because when he's come on he's been our fourth most effective forward.

It's frankly embarrassing when, like at Dagenham, Tomlin scores his 13th and 14th in 12 games to wins us the match and goes off to a polite ripple of applause and on comes Freddy to a resounding chorus of duh duh duh Freddy Eastwood.

Eastwood will get starts when he starts outperforming the other forward options.

He's currently 4th choice because when he's come on he's been our fourth most effective forward.

It's frankly embarrassing when, like at Dagenham, Tomlin scores his 13th and 14th in 12 games to wins us the match and goes off to a polite ripple of applause and on comes Freddy to a resounding chorus of duh duh duh Freddy Eastwood.

Very unfair on Eastwood. By the time he gets on the pitch Corr has already been brought on and the die is cast. The game is not played to suit FE's style and he is hardly looked for by teammates who are instructed to find the lanky one that has proven for me the one good season of finishing he had was the fluke I always thought it was.

Assombalonga and Tomlin have been fantastic and the game has been set up to suit them. Give Freddy the respect of working the game round him and if then he fails you can criticise him.

I must disagree YB,i thought Tomlin got a great ovation from us lot at Daggers,and as for Freddy getting a resounding chorus sung to him when he comes on,i reckon he's kind of earned that just a tad,maybe he is not the player he once was,but to many Shrimpers myself included Freddy is always gonna get ya,lets cut him some slack and cheer him to goals goals,goals.:high five:

I must disagree YB,i thought Tomlin got a great ovation from us lot at Daggers,and as for Freddy getting a resounding chorus sung to him when he comes on,i reckon he's kind of earned that just a tad,maybe he is not the player he once was,but to many Shrimpers myself included Freddy is always gonna get ya,lets cut him some slack and cheer him to goals goals,goals.:high five:

You may end up disappointed though

Very unfair on Eastwood. By the time he gets on the pitch Corr has already been brought on and the die is cast. The game is not played to suit FE's style and he is hardly looked for by teammates who are instructed to find the lanky one that has proven for me the one good season of finishing he had was the fluke I always thought it was.

Assombalonga and Tomlin have been fantastic and the game has been set up to suit them. Give Freddy the respect of working the game round him and if then he fails you can criticise him.

Freddy HAS played games. He's also come on as sub and faded after his first contribution over and over again. How many games do people think it will take to bring him up to standard? Were his last couple of managers also being unfair?

I just think that this is wishful thinking on a grand scale. We're promotion prospects, not the vanity project of a striker who simply can't/won't get fit. If we were mid-table and treading water I'd suggest playing him, if only to dispel this myth about his talent time-travelling from seven years ago. We have two top strikers for the first time in god-knows how long, both of whom are more effective than Freddy even when they're asleep. Would you really work the game around him?

This isn't aimed at you. I loved watching Freddy first time round. I also loved watching Stanley, Crown, Angell, Parker etc etc, but it's now 2013 and blind faith doesn't get people fit.

Freddy HAS played games. He's also come on as sub and faded after his first contribution over and over again. How many games do people think it will take to bring him up to standard? Were his last couple of managers also being unfair?

I just think that this is wishful thinking on a grand scale. We're promotion prospects, not the vanity project of a striker who simply can't/won't get fit. If we were mid-table and treading water I'd suggest playing him, if only to dispel this myth about his talent time-travelling from seven years ago. We have two top strikers for the first time in god-knows how long, both of whom are more effective than Freddy even when they're asleep. Would you really work the game around him?

This isn't aimed at you. I loved watching Freddy first time round. I also loved watching Stanley, Crown, Angell, Parker etc etc, but it's now 2013 and blind faith doesn't get people fit.

You have missed the point completely. I would select Britt and Gav every time at the moment because they have proven their worth. However, if one or the other is unfit, injured, suspended etc and if FE is brought on it is always behind Corr and the game plan is therefore set not to suit FE which makes it difficult to prove his worth. The plan changes to suit Corr, which is stupid in my opinion, as he is not good enough. Even not changing the style of Britt and Gav for FE would suit Freddy more and probably the team.

I am not even saying play Eastwood. I am saying dont play Corr because we all know what that means and it is not good enough.

You have missed the point completely. I would select Britt and Gav every time at the moment because they have proven their worth. However, if one or the other is unfit, injured, suspended etc and if FE is brought on it is always behind Corr and the game plan is therefore set not to suit FE which makes it difficult to prove his worth. The plan changes to suit Corr, which is stupid in my opinion, as he is not good enough. Even not changing the style of Britt and Gav for FE would suit Freddy more and probably the team.

I am not even saying play Eastwood. I am saying dont play Corr because we all know what that means and it is not good enough.

With respect, your wording came across as yet another 'yeah, but...' in relation to Freddy's weaknesses. I disagree with you on Corr, who is undoubtedly unfit, but who is more effective than FE in small doses. Freddy's bad form isn't because players have been told to pass to someone else.

We seem to have gone from having countless strikers on the books to one of our own, one borrowed and a bunch of bench-warmers.

With respect, your wording came across as yet another 'yeah, but...' in relation to Freddy's weaknesses. I disagree with you on Corr, who is undoubtedly unfit, but who is more effective than FE in small doses. Freddy's bad form isn't because players have been told to pass to someone else.

We seem to have gone from having countless strikers on the books to one of our own, one borrowed and a bunch of bench-warmers.

Its curious what you say about Corr. He is not producing and in fact in almost every game of late has spurned good opportunities and yet has had more minutes on the pitch than FE who you think has not done enough. FE has as many goals as Corr in less time. Play Benyon for all I care or if FE and Benyon are not up to the job then replace them with a loanee that has pace to run the channels and therefore not have need to change the style when a sub is needed.

Its curious what you say about Corr. He is not producing and in fact in almost every game of late has spurned good opportunities and yet has had more minutes on the pitch than FE who you think has not done enough. FE has as many goals as Corr in less time. Play Benyon for all I care or if FE and Benyon are not up to the job then replace them with a loanee that has pace to run the channels and therefore not have need to change the style when a sub is needed.

Fair comment. Maybe Sturrock thought/thinks that Corr's recovery would continue with game time, and maybe he was wrong. I'd play Benyon before these two, but it may be the case that we need someone else.

As for knowing how to cause Barrett problems, he may have done 6 odd years ago but not now. He doesn't seem to be able to cause anyone any problems at the moment. What is missing I don't know but Sturrock isn't playing him for a reason. That reason I do not know but I do not believe for one minute it's because Sturrock doesn't like him. No manager worth their salts won't play a good player because they don't like him

When you have played alongside a player for a few seasons and done training against him then you're going to know their weaknesses - that is why Freddy would have caused Barrett problems. Plus he's developed more strength to be able to deal with the hugging that Barrett's always been prone to.

If you looked, you'd notice that Freddy's right knee has been very heavily strapped or taped for some time. He is STILL recovering from surgery. That is why he hasn't been getting much time and I sincerely hope that when he does, he proves you very wrong in your assessment of him.

FWIW, Hurst's left leg was also very heavily taped, and I think he was probably carrying a problem himself. Playing 4 games in quick succession on heavy pitches is going to test players in all kinds of ways, oh to be able to rotate some of our playing staff without people reading wrongly into it!

I seriously think that the fact that Gillingham had the weekend off won them the game, the way they came out of the blocks showed that, they won nearly every 50/50 ball, was first to EVERYTHING. They also destroyed us in the air, couldn't believe my eyes at how many men were found free in our own area. To be fair we did create two very good chances in the first half, one off the line from Tam and Tomlins cut in and shot.

Second half was a good performance, we could have won it in the end if it wasn't for some shoddy finishing and good saves.

Smith 7 - Good saves, decent kicking bar one.
Hurst - 7 - Pick of the midfield.

Everyone else gets a 6.

Back