• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

In terms of players I have seen, I'm not going to argue with David Crown, but Dave Robinson played well over 300 games for us back in the day. This from SUSCT:

"Such was the stature of the Scot, Dave Robinson in the history of the club that he had his first testimonial match in 1934, when David Jack came to watch and was persuaded to join the Shrimpers as manager, and his second in 1970. Five foot five but as hard as nails, Dave Robinson joined us from Leeds in 1928 and played 317 games until forced to hang up his boots due to injury in 1940. He went on to become a fixture at Southend being assistant trainer for 13 years under Wilf Copping and Wilf Dixon and on the staff until his retirement in 1970. He was still helping out at the club when he died in 1986 aged 86, having spent nearly 60 years with the club. A minute's silence was observed at the home game immediately after his death."

David Jack was pretty handy too...

I hated him,

Think it was his northern pudding bowl haircut and goatee mainly.

I know you did, that's why I mentioned him.

I wasn't his biggest fan either. Macclesfield away when he opened the scoring for them had me fuming. Thankfully two late goals from Macca sorted that out!

Not necessarily the best - but certainly a cult-type character - wee Davie Cunningham......

A team of Daves

GK
RB Robinson
LB Worthington
CD Cusack
CD Howell
CM Martin
CM Roche
LM Martin
RM Lee
CF Crown
CF Jack

Sub McSweeney, Cunningham, Regis

Managers Webb and Smith

Anyone think of a keeper?

A team of Daves

GK
RB Robinson
LB Worthington
CD Cusack
CD Howell
CM Martin
CM Roche
LM Martin
RM Lee
CF Crown
CF Jack

Managers Webb and Smith

Dave Webb played in goal for Chelsea once. He could do a job.

A team of Daves

GK
RB Robinson
LB Worthington
CD Cusack
CD Howell
CM Martin
CM Roche
LM Martin
RM Lee
CF Crown
CF Jack

Managers Webb and Smith

We also had Dave Chambers winger from the late '60's, but one that has not been mentioned was from early 1970's excellent midfield player played almost 200 games including 40 matches in our first ever promotion (1971-72) Dave Elliott.

A team of Daves

GK
RB Robinson
LB Worthington
CD Cusack
CD Howell
CM Martin
CM Roche
LM Martin
RM Lee
CF Crown
CF Jack

Managers Webb and Smith

David Seaman. His loss, but that would have been good wouldn't it?

Back