• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I thought Leonard played a small part in it by getting the goal in the first leg that set us up. He too never made the final. Have no doubt that had all three played in the final it would have been a different result.

While I've come round to El Tango and think he's doing quite a good job I will never be able to forgive him for leaving Leonard out of the final squad while starting Mohsni. Disgrace.

Because I don't believe a lot of football fans have a rational opinion on current players for their club. I don't myself on occasions.

In my opinion BC is way off legend status at the moment and the stats back that up. One good season in an average league 2 side doesn't cut it for me personally as legend status for us.

It's not just one good season that make many of us love BBBC. It's that he came back from a potentially career ending injury to score 14 goals (mainly from the bench) last season. That while he was out injured he volunteered to do scouting duties. That this last post-season he turned down better contract offers to stay at Roots Hall, and it's his all round committed attitude to the club.

His best season was his first, when he didn't play with his back to goal - Blair Sturrock did his donkey work for him. When he attacks the ball, he wins every header. When we're playing the ball up to him (as we are currently) he doesn't win that much. We need someone alongside him who can hold things up Ian Benjamin style.

Drastic™;1579241 said:
It's not just one good season that make many of us love BBBC. It's that he came back from a potentially career ending injury to score 14 goals (mainly from the bench) last season. That while he was out injured he volunteered to do scouting duties. That this last post-season he turned down better contract offers to stay at Roots Hall, and it's his all round committed attitude to the club.

I think you are getting confused. I think BC is a v good player for us, I rate him and like him.

The thread is about him being a legend. Something which he isn't in my opinion.

Off top of my head I can only think of about 4 players who I'd class as SUFC legends during my time supporting the club.

I could think of another 20 players who don't get in that category who would be infront of BC at this moment in time. Not to say BC couldn't become one.

I guess it all depends on how people class the meaning of the word 'legend'.

I think you are getting confused. I think BC is a v good player for us, I rate him and like him.

The thread is about him being a legend. Something which he isn't in my opinion.

Off top of my head I can only think of about 4 players who I'd class as SUFC legends during my time supporting the club.

I could think of another 20 players who don't get in that category who would be infront of BC at this moment in time. Not to say BC couldn't become one.

I guess it all depends on how people class the meaning of the word 'legend'.

I was responding to your post which clearly stated "One good season in an average league 2 side doesn't cut it for me personally as legend status for us". Plus I didn't say he was a legend, I outlined why many of us love BBBC. To me he's a cult hero who is well on the way to legend status. There aren't many strikers who stick around for 4 seasons with Southend these days, either they're crap and leave after a season or they get taken off our hands by bigger clubs.

I know I am going to get shot down for my view but BBBC is not a legend. A handy player at times and possibly a liability at times.
People talk about the time he was out injured and his heroic return. That season of absence from him saw us get 83 points. Would we have got an extra point or two that year if we weren't picking up his wage bill and could have afforded an extra body that helped on the pitch whilst BBBC was scouting.
Harsh review possibly but still true.
I know he is winning plaudits for being all over the pitch and popping up at times to defend. If he had tucked away more opportunities we would not need him to defend so much. Yesterday case in point.
For me, I want a man up front, to lead the line, assist and score goals. That makes it easier for the defenders and midfielders to do their job.
He is not a bad player but he is not a great player. My opinion but I doubt I am going to change that opinion.

245j7fc.png

Q. Do Exeter fans see BBBC's scoring figures with us AND say "he never did that when we had him but now his gone" etc as has happened to us Blues with too many of our ex strikers? And I hope they get to fear his return because he scores a brace against them.

How about some BBBC "I am Legend" print T shirts; could be a xmas money spinner for the club shop or ShrimpersTrust! I'd buy a few.

I see Kevin Hurst has waded into the debate

Kevan Hurst ‏@KevanHurst14 26 Nov

#BarryCorrgasm love it. Big f**king legend
Retweeted by ShrimperZone.com

Back