• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I remember all the girls that traveled which one did you marry may I ask Billy bests boot laces

Had big crowds attend home matches back in the late 50s early 60s , had some classy players also back then , just had some terrible managers from my point of view,not to be too dismeaning ,but always thought Ted Fenton was the worst .:unsure:

remember booking the coaches at the tin hut after each home game . and the meetings in the golden lion before and after the games .And the well known ozzie leader of the pack .

I was too young for the pubs, when and how did the migration to the Spread happen if the Golden Lion used to be for home supporters?

I was too young for the pubs, when and how did the migration to the Spread happen if the Golden Lion used to be for home supporters?

It was personal choice, for me it was either the Spread or the Shrimpers. Also for morning kick-offs the Park Café (on the corner of Victoria Avenue and Fairfax Drive where a pizza place is now) was popular for breakfast

Folk started to move away from the golden lion in the 80s i think . but the Golden lion was not just a home pub .It had two bars the large front bar was the home bar the smaller bar at the side was for away fans .And they was allways kept apart to stop any trouble .

Also remember also trips to grounds and clubs that are no longer around . like Workington bradford park and Darlington . also trips to Halifax standing on them railway sleepers for steps . On those trips we had to make our own entertainment no videos or radios in them days .

Borough Park, Workington, is still going strong. Been "down-sized" a bit, but still hosting Evo-Stick Northern Premier League football.

Brilliant stuff, well done DoDTS many congrats!! May you keep it up for many an anniversary yet to come!!
Most of my Home games however feel like they are away, especially when the boggin A127 is shut! and it takes 2 hours to or from Southend!! or the tunnel/ bridge is closed.

yes remember both well I think it was Lynn who had a brother that traveled as well .But I am not sure about that .

Newport county was another strange ground They died as a football club but wes reformed as AFC newport as it is now .

It was personal choice, for me it was either the Spread or the Shrimpers. Also for morning kick-offs the Park Café (on the corner of Victoria Avenue and Fairfax Drive where a pizza place is now) was popular for breakfast

Snap Peter,after work,on a friday night game,pop into that cafe,get the "prog" & evening echo,mug of tea & fry up,then wait till 18.00,for either the spread or lion to open up

What about the shrimpers club ,remember going to a few lively Disco's there (really showing age now) in the70s,also at the rugby club behind the North bank

went to those discos as well,with my then "bird"..also years later,upstairs..fannys...wild days

When you were in your teens the sixties were great but with danger and temptations to get in trouble for the easily lead. Now getting to grounds is so much easier (thanks to TZ and the trust) and so much safer.

The overnight trips to the likes of Darlington, Workington, Rochdale, Exeter etc were brilliant though (as a single lad). The Youth Section coaches (prior to the Brothers Grimm) were excellent although in fairness Wino's trips comes a close second
"MANY MANY CONGRATULATIONS PETER" There were many happy days in the late '60's that we spent together be it on the coaches or hitch-hiking, some of those mates are still going to games but SADLY some are no longer with us.
However we will always remember the many happy times that we spent together. Without a care in the world, the most important thing at that time was how could we get to the next mid-week away match when it was at Workington/Hartlepool or some hideous place 200 miles from home (getting back now that was a different story). I would not have missed it for the world. "Happy Days Great Memories" Love Nobbler x

Back