• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Migrant boat deaths in the Med.

How naive we all were when we thought the 'Arab Spring' would liberate the Middle East.

It's a tragedy but these people know the risks and what can we do about it? At the end of the day they're crossing illegally and in most cases being smuggled. We all know which country they want to come to...

Let's not downplay GB and France's role in the bombing (and invasion) of Libya here.The recent waves of mass migration really started to peak after Libya had become a failed state-thanks to Cameron and Sarkozy.

Also, don't forget that Cameron and Clegg were all set to bomb Syria before Miliband refused to play along.

Are you suggesting setting up refugee camps in Lybia etc, to process migrants appications for asylum, (which I believe is official UKIP policy)?

Let's not downplay GB and France's role in the bombing (and invasion) of Lybia here.Recent mass migration really started after Lybia had become a failed state-thanks to Cameron and Sarkozy.

Also, don't forget that Cameron and Clegg were all set to bomb Syria before Miliband refused to play along.

I feel I've not been following this story as closely as I perhaps should. Is Lybia anywhere near Libya?

According to the BBC news at lunchtime, the prefererred countries on the migrants list were :-

1.Germany

2.France

3.Italy.

4.U.K.

Sky reporter has talked to many and just said"they have no interest in Italy or anywhere apart from the UK Germany Denmark and Holland,I presume generous benefits ?

The country in Europe with the highest migrant population and worse ethnic tension is.............unbelievably RUSSIA.
They have had huge numbers crossing their porous old USSR borders and working/living illegally. Russia does not give them any reasonable human rights or pay-outs and still people flock there in there, literally, millions.
Somehow I don't think stating that the UK doesn't welcome migrants by leaflets will achieve anything other than encourage debate leading to a further swell in this direction.
Cammoron has stated that the UK is large contributor to aid close to country of origin of refugees and that is a fair step.
What the BIG answer is; and how to achieve it, is certainly beyond current human morality - fair, balanced, decent society, politicians and religious persons in positions of power - home and abroad.

Stop and think for one moment...if this was you and your kin fleeing for your lives, risking your own lives, would you still begrudge them a safe haven???

We helped create the problem so why the f*** should we not be part of the solution??

Stop and think for one moment...if this was you and your kin fleeing for your lives, risking your own lives, would you still begrudge them a safe haven???

We helped create the problem so why the f*** should we not be part of the solution??

I agree,all we need to do now is sort out a solution. Any ideas?

According to the BBC news at lunchtime, the prefererred countries on the migrants list were :-

1.Germany

2.France

3.Italy.

4.U.K.

Looks like the group of death to me. No surprise Germany come top and we ended up bottom.

Are you suggesting setting up refugee camps in Libya etc, to process migrants appications for asylum, (which I believe is official UKIP policy)?

No, I'm not.

I'm suggesting that we create safe havens, in order that people don't have to live in danger.
Perhaps you've forgotten that in your original post you wanted to blame the EU?

Don't thing I'll ever get round to doing a PhD (though our older daughter has one) so please feel free to explain the irony.:finger:

If you can't see it then an explanation isn't going to help. And what's your daughter getting a PHD got to do with anything (another chance for a 'me me me' or 'my my my' inclusion perhaps)

Anyway, back on topic. There are no easy solutions. To suggest a leaflet drop and blockade of ports as a solution is perhaps the most deranged reply yet to this thread. Oh yeah, I can see it now. The folk of Ramadi snatching a leaflet out of the air as they rain down and thinking to themselves '****, the trip looks a bit bad and a tad expensive. I know, lets stay here and get slaughtered, raped and enslaved by IS militants' :facepalm:

Yes the EU/West/UN should do more. No idea what though. Perhaps they could start by reinstating the sea patrols that cost £9.5m a month to run that Italy bemoans paying out for. A paltry figure when compared to the wanton financial waste that's all to apparent at the head of the EU.

Let's not downplay GB and France's role in the bombing (and invasion) of Libya here.The recent waves of mass migration really started to peak after Libya had become a failed state-thanks to Cameron and Sarkozy.

Let's also not downplay the part that Dubya and Tory Blur paid in the whole destabilization of the region.

Katie Hopkins (Spit) thinks they are all cockroaches....I see some Irony in that statement.

Katie Hopkins (Spit) thinks they are all cockroaches....I see some Irony in that statement.

Shame she couldn't be put into the Atlantic in a leaky rubber dinghy with a few house bricks for company.

Saying that, I bet she doesn't mean 99% of the crap she says - create a non-story just to get into the meedja.

Sadly the West only made things far worse,the 2 you mention managed to control the masses with whatever means they chose it was never pretty but it worked.Now both countries are in disarray with the West long retreated out of it.
Libya was stable under Ghadaffi , a lot of the oil money went back into the country , they had one of the few state health services in Africa and very low unemployment. They had a big problem with immigration though, people were flooding into the country from all over Africa due to the living standards there.
That said, there was a feeling that this was still not enough and they wanted european style democracy and freedoms and the west wanted their companies in there with the oil.
I feel that it took europe Hundreds of years to develop the level of Democracy we now enjoy and these countries are struggling to get the almost overnight success they hankered after.
I find the Libyan situation very sad, It was a lovely place and they were starting to turn it into a place to visit, particularly the amazing Roman remains at Leptis Magna. I have friends and work colleagues who are struggling now .

Back