• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Migrant boat deaths in the Med.

I have a friend who was a Captain in Guarde de Finance off the east coast of Italy. About ten years ago the Albanian people smugglers used to tow the immigrants in sinking boats and cut them free off the coast or when challenge so the Guarda had to save the people rather than tackle the criminals. Make no mistake behind much of this is organised crime, horror and a disregard for life.

I have a friend who was a Captain in Guarde de Finance off the east coast of Italy. About ten years ago the Albanian people smugglers used to tow the immigrants in sinking boats and cut them free off the coast or when challenge so the Guarda had to save the people rather than tackle the criminals. Make no mistake behind much of this is organised crime, horror and a disregard for life.

Yeah agreed. What majes it worse is that most of the poor buggers never had to learn to swim, so its game over if the boat capsizes. Which happens a lot when a) theres often no captain and b) all of them rush to one side when theres a possibility of being rescued...

Libya was stable under Ghadaffi , a lot of the oil money went back into the country , they had one of the few state health services in Africa and very low unemployment. They had a big problem with immigration though, people were flooding into the country from all over Africa due to the living standards there.
That said, there was a feeling that this was still not enough and they wanted european style democracy and freedoms and the west wanted their companies in there with the oil.
I feel that it took europe Hundreds of years to develop the level of Democracy we now enjoy and these countries are struggling to get the almost overnight success they hankered after.
I find the Libyan situation very sad, It was a lovely place and they were starting to turn it into a place to visit, particularly the amazing Roman remains at Leptis Magna. I have friends and work colleagues who are struggling now .

Ghadaffi once friends with many a politician ,who can ever forget him and Blair warmly embracing ,then the West wanted rid.

Personally the West is either bungling fools or very clever,whenever we interfere in another country it always ends badly for the country we poked our nose into.

The EU decided to stop boat patrols citing the cost and other meaningless excuses,these patrols need to be reinstated ASAP .

If you can't see it then an explanation isn't going to help. And what's your daughter getting a PHD got to do with anything (another chance for a 'me me me' or 'my my my' inclusion perhaps)

Anyway, back on topic. There are no easy solutions. To suggest a leaflet drop and blockade of ports as a solution is perhaps the most deranged reply yet to this thread. Oh yeah, I can see it now. The folk of Ramadi snatching a leaflet out of the air as they rain down and thinking to themselves '****, the trip looks a bit bad and a tad expensive. I know, lets stay here and get slaughtered, raped and enslaved by IS militants' :facepalm:

Yes the EU/West/UN should do more. No idea what though. Perhaps they could start by reinstating the sea patrols that cost £9.5m a month to run that Italy bemoans paying out for. A paltry figure when compared to the wanton financial waste that's all to apparent at the head of the EU.

They have been doing the boat escape long before IS was invented !
The blockade of their ports was actually one of the measures touted.

So you have no answer yourself yet belittle any suggestion ,you must be a politician.

They have been doing the boat escape long before IS was invented !
The blockade of their ports was actually one of the measures touted.

So you have no answer yourself yet belittle any suggestion ,you must be a politician.

1. Yes they were fleeing before IS but no where near on the scale they are now. The emergence of IS in the region, specifically Lybia, and beyond has exacerbated the situation no end.

2. Touted and rejected as unworkable and unenforceable.

3. IS, or whatever you want to call them aren't an invention.

4. No I don't have the answer/s but that doesn't, nor should it, stop me being able to criticize or question others that put forward theirs.

5. The EU didn't decide to stop the boat patrols. Italy did. Two reasons really. To dissuade those wanting to leave due to the reduced level of likely rescue and the cost.

That is a good question though..If you try to control things out of your reach religious or monetary wise (Oil for one) and the overall outcome is you win a battle but start a war....who is the person that actually invented it then..the person who was minding their own business getting on with their life or the person who stuck their nose in and created a Hornets nest?

One Idea would be..Stop supplying arms to these areas just to keep the war machine alive for profit in the first place, when it all goes tits up they wonder why they come back to bite us in the arse.

1. Yes they were fleeing before IS but no where near on the scale they are now. The emergence of IS in the region, specifically Lybia, and beyond has exacerbated the situation no end.

2. Touted and rejected as unworkable and unenforceable.

4. No I don't have the answer/s but that doesn't, nor should it, stop me being able to criticize or question others that put forward theirs.

5. The EU didn't decide to stop the boat patrols. Italy did. Two reasons really. To dissuade those wanting to leave due to the reduced level of likely rescue and the cost

IS has been invented probably by the West for its own greed and aims.
The West created the havoc in the ME and beyond.

People flock from many parts of Africa to enter War torn ruined country such as Lybia,Some are fleeing in terror yet how many are seeking a better life here or Europe.

Only way to stop it is to end benefits for people entering Europe and GB,The blame lays firmly at the door of governments !

That is a good question though..If you try to control things out of your reach religious or monetary wise (Oil for one) and the overall outcome is you win a battle but start a war....who is the person that actually invented it then..the person who was minding their own business getting on with their life or the person who stuck their nose in and created a Hornets nest?

One Idea would be..Stop supplying arms to these areas just to keep the war machine alive for profit in the first place, when it all goes tits up they wonder why they come back to bite us in the arse.

I think you will find that the weapon of choice in them there parts is the Kalashnikov which we don't make or supply.

IS has been invented probably by the West for its own greed and aims.
The West created the havoc in the ME and beyond.

People flock from many parts of Africa to enter War torn ruined country such as Lybia,Some are fleeing in terror yet how many are seeking a better life here or Europe.

Only way to stop it is to end benefits for people entering Europe and GB,The blame lays firmly at the door of governments !

IS wasn't invented by the west, probably or otherwise, it was born from the uprising against Assad in Syria so forget that bit of disinformation and the Middle East was more than capable of creating it's own havoc way before we stuck our noses in.

Some are fleeing war torn parts of Africa, plenty of others aren't. Some are genuine refugees, many more are not. People traffickers really couldn't give a toss either way, they are only after one thing.

They don't get benefits the second they enter the UK or Europe.

And finally, a small point I know but I feel it's important........................

iT'S ****ING LIBYA!!!!

IS wasn't invented by the west, probably or otherwise, it was born from the uprising against Assad in Syria so forget that bit of disinformation and the Middle East was more than capable of creating it's own havoc way before we stuck our noses in.

Some are fleeing war torn parts of Africa, plenty of others aren't. Some are genuine refugees, many more are not. People traffickers really couldn't give a toss either way, they are only after one thing.

They don't get benefits the second they enter the UK or Europe.

And finally, a small point I know but I feel it's important........................

iT'S ****ING LIBYA!!!!

Couple of stories which have emerged.

Two guys from Etheopia paid 2000 dollars each to travel across Africa then into war torn Lybya,then the dangerous boat trip and finally made it to Glasgow !Make of that what you will.

Italy has built a mini town for the boat people,nice houses plus cars on the driveway.This mini town houses 3200 !,They have reached safety,they should be happy yet they all want to leave this mini town and head for ??????.

What's your point? That now makes the two who got to Glasgow illegal immigrants or they have been granted asylum as refugees. As for Funky Town in Italy, I doubt it's surrounded by barbed wire and watch towers so they can leave the place very easily. I have no doubt that some of them will be heading for the french coast but until all the European countries take a firm grip of this then they will continue to come and we will see many more die while trying.

What's your point? That now makes the two who got to Glasgow illegal immigrants or they have been granted asylum as refugees. As for Funky Town in Italy, I doubt it's surrounded by barbed wire and watch towers so they can leave the place very easily. I have no doubt that some of them will be heading for the french coast but until all the European countries take a firm grip of this then they will continue to come and we will see many more die while trying.

From Etheopia to Glasgow!

Just see it now,back in Etheopia many thousands are discussing their dream move to Sunderland !

There is an unacceptable way to stop the "boat people" - gun ship helicopters and non passive interceptions followed by "any means, all means" immediate repatriation to nearest shore of Africa.
Housing camps in the de-populated parts of Romania/Bulgaria with EU countries paying for them to be kept there.
Tasking hit squads to take out the mafia style gang chiefs.
None of it very PC, Liberal, humane, caring or likely.
What will happen is lots of politicos & "charity bodies" claiming huge expenses to travel to sunny places and have meetings but nothing will change as no-one will take the lead (& eventual blame) on this ongoing tragedy.

I read today that the Chunnel has been besieged by migrants trying to get to Blighty. If/when some arrive here via HMS Hermes, Italian immigration, French Border control etc will that get known? I am presuming they are all registered on "landing" in the med? This is a crisis that will rumble on longer than the Greek Euro exit.

There is an unacceptable way to stop the "boat people" - gun ship helicopters and non passive interceptions followed by "any means, all means" immediate repatriation to nearest shore of Africa.
Housing camps in the de-populated parts of Romania/Bulgaria with EU countries paying for them to be kept there.
Tasking hit squads to take out the mafia style gang chiefs.
None of it very PC, Liberal, humane, caring or likely.
What will happen is lots of politicos & "charity bodies" claiming huge expenses to travel to sunny places and have meetings but nothing will change as no-one will take the lead (& eventual blame) on this ongoing tragedy.

What he said ^^^ Nail..............head............hit!

You don't appear to recognise irony when you see it.:dim:

Back