• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Well here's the first of (hopefully) three refwatches we didn't want.

Last week's one was derailed somewhat. I advised that we were due to get a young and promising referee; instead we got an old and very unpromising one! James Adcock became unavailable and Andy Haines was taken off 4th official duties at Bolton to do our game.

On Sunday, we have ex-Select Group referee, Keith Stroud from Gillingham in Dorset.

In his eleventh season as a League referee he has risen through the ranks and was employed as a PGMO official for 2 years, although he was given no Premiership matches for the second of those years whilst they sorted out contractual issues.

His last Southend match was the home victory over Northampton this season when he sent off the visiting keeper when awarding a penalty which set us on our way to three points. Also three cautions for them and yellows for Prosser and Thompson for us.

Before that was the excellent evening at Leyton Orient which set us up for our trip to Wembley. Kept the lid on a competitive match with 3 yellows apiece (Clohessey, Barker and Timlin before he went off).

Then the disappointing home defeat by Burton in 2012/13 back in the days of the embargo (or one of them) when he red-carded Spicer for a poor challenge.

Before that he previously refereed Southend in the JPT match at Dagenham which he and we cruised through without any problems. Prior to that it was the Barnet match also in the JPT in which he showed plenty of yellows, mainly to them, and a red to Mohsni. One of Patersons finest (few) moments in a Southend shirt.

Before those matches he had done Southend 6 times (2 w 2 l 2 d) the most notable being the vital end of season victory against Bristol City. The only previous away games were also in London - the 2-2 draw at Orient (Eastwood and Gray scoring) and, more recently, six seasons ago at Millwall (1-1) when he booked 7 (4 of them theirs).

A somewhat short official who doesn't hesitate to produce cards if necessary but is right more often than wrong. He does appear to like being noticed. His card count was high for the last two seasons, but this season it has changed; now it is sky high !

He has shown 171 yellows and 6 reds from 39 games. Yes, over 4 cards a match and way above average. Does this mean he is a card wielding maniac? No. He is allocated many high profile matches, many derbies and many televised matches. He is viewed as a very safe pair of hands. He comes to Stevenage straight from presiding over Colchester's great escape against Preston.

The rest of the team will be doing well out of the travel expenses: Assistants are Michael Denton from Todmorden in West Yorkshire and Paul Marsden from Preston. Fourth Official is Football League referee David Webb from Sunderland.

Hopefully a repeat of the feeling post match against Bristol would be good.

Having a 4th official with that name has got to be an omen surely...............clutching at straws

Ref for home leg is Andy Madley. More about that later.

He was the best ref I've seen all season. Yeah, he made some mistakes, but boy that was one tough game to officiate and he did it admirally. He didn't let either side wear him down, he recognised the importance of the game and let players try and play only using cards when he had to. Neither side will have any complaints.

Yes, got to agree, I was also impressed. Also seemed to tell one of their players to stop play acting at one point, just after #clashofheads. My only criticism was he was a little over zealous with the cards.

He was the best ref I've seen all season. Yeah, he made some mistakes, but boy that was one tough game to officiate and he did it admirally. He didn't let either side wear him down, he recognised the importance of the game and let players try and play only using cards when he had to. Neither side will have any complaints.

I'm not a referee, but I also thought he handled a very difficult match extremely well.

Timlin must love TV games with Keith Stroud. He's failed to finish either of them, but has a broken leg and 25 stitches to show for them.

I also thought the referee did very well to control what was, in the first-half, a very physical and niggly affair. I don't think he got much wrong and although he showed a lot of yellows, IIRC, all of them were merited. Thank God no one, apart from the cameras, saw Corr mistaking the back of one of their players heads for the ball. :stunned:

Given what a ****ehawk of a game that was (certainly in the first half), the ref was in a tough position and did well. More of that level of officiating please.

Agree that the ref did well in very tough circumstances last night. Felt he was sometimes a bit quick to dish out yellows to us and a little hesitant to do the same to them, but that's probably partially down to my bias and partially down to them being at home. Very rough and physical game, as is always the case with Stevenage, and we played our part in that as well.

On the other hand, the linesman on the dugout side was awful. Behind play time after time, gave that very strange free-kick where their centre back completely mistimed his tackle, allowing Atkinson to stutter his run and get in behind, without touching the centre back, and he gave it as a foul. Summed him up for me when at one point in the second half, the referee blew up for a free kick and after he'd blown up the linesman started waving his flag for a foul as well.

Also slightly concerned for the eyesight of the woman behind me who was convinced that the Timlin head injury was caused by their player elbowing him and was outraged that he hadn't been sent off.

Agree that the ref did well in very tough circumstances last night. Felt he was sometimes a bit quick to dish out yellows to us and a little hesitant to do the same to them, but that's probably partially down to my bias and partially down to them being at home. Very rough and physical game, as is always the case with Stevenage, and we played our part in that as well.

On the other hand, the linesman on the dugout side was awful. Behind play time after time, gave that very strange free-kick where their centre back completely mistimed his tackle, allowing Atkinson to stutter his run and get in behind, without touching the centre back, and he gave it as a foul. Summed him up for me when at one point in the second half, the referee blew up for a free kick and after he'd blown up the linesman started waving his flag for a foul as well.

You mean the one where he gave their player a subtle push in the back?

:winking:

(I didn't see it at the time, but watched it again when I got home!)

Also slightly concerned for the eyesight of the woman behind me who was convinced that the Timlin head injury was caused by their player elbowing him and was outraged that he hadn't been sent off.

Apparently the Stevenage fans were giving Timlin abuse for the clash of heads. Some people really do need an optician!

You mean the one where he gave their player a subtle push in the back?

:winking:

(I didn't see it at the time, but watched it again when I got home!)

Apparently the Stevenage fans were giving Timlin abuse for the clash of heads. Some people really do need an optician!
Ah haven't watched it back yet so yes, that one! Only seen it as it happened and then saw that Chris Phillips had tweeted it was right in front of him and he didn't touch him, but the cameras don't lie.

How you can abuse someone having just seen blood pouring from his face like he had is unreal. Have seen that incident again and it seems like a fair 50/50 challenge where both players had their eye on the ball and didn't see the other one coming.

Back