• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Notts County agree a fee for Izale McLeod. Thats that one dead then, if it even was a goer in the first place.

I don't think it was, just like others said to try and push other players to sign, we never had the money for McLeod not without Bentley being sold.

I see that Joel Grant who was on trial has signed for Exeter.

I don't think it was, just like others said to try and push other players to sign, we never had the money for McLeod not without Bentley being sold.

Missing out on Joel Grant is a massive blow. Can't help but feel he would've given us an intelligent edge that we are so desperately lacking at the moment in my opinion.

He is naive to think that RM will invest any of that money back into the club.

We spent 25k on Bolger and I'm sure players like Hunt and Wordsworth don't come cheap. If we sold Bentley for over a million it's harsh to say that Ron would not spend any of that on the team.

We spent 25k on Bolger and I'm sure players like Hunt and Wordsworth don't come cheap. If we sold Bentley for over a million it's harsh to say that Ron would not spend any of that on the team.

My tongue was well planted in my cheek when posting that comment. Ron has come up with the goods when required and has given PB a lot more than we probably expected, just hope PB doesn't expect a big chunk of that money to be reinvested.

So we have lost out to two league two clubs (arguably smaller) than us

Just leaves Simeon Jackson? ��:unsure:

Forgot about him it has gone quiet on that front.

Had a little Google search and the only thing that came up was an article from the 11th Aug from a local paper in Coventry saying we are talking to him.

My tongue was well planted in my cheek when posting that comment. Ron has come up with the goods when required and has givenPB a lot more than we probably expected, just hope PB doesn't expect a big chunk of that money to be reinvested.

We all new promotion would cost more, wage rises for current players and higher pay for new signings etc. Problem is turn over will not increase that much. The TV money is not a lot extra for L1 and with so many northern sides gate money won't increase significantly.

Same as last year PB has much lower budget than people think. A lot less than Tilson did in the same division.

Same as last year PB has much lower budget than people think. A lot less than Tilson did in the same division.

You know that as a fact ? How?

Especially given that Tilson's playing budget was zero towards the end of that last season in League One.

We all new promotion would cost more, wage rises for current players and higher pay for new signings etc. Problem is turn over will not increase that much. The TV money is not a lot extra for L1 and with so many northern sides gate money won't increase significantly.

Stevenage brought 200 fans more than Walsall did in our first game last season, yet our gate was 700 more this year, so the home gate went up by about 900, thats probably £15,000 more gate revenue from home fans than we got last year. So even with our home gates increasing the likes of Swindon and Peterbrough will bring more away fans.

Thats not an insignificant increase.

You know that as a fact ? How?

Especially given that Tilson's playing budget was zero towards the end of that last season in League One.

I have been quoted the figures by reliable persons but to save arguments I will try to find out the exact sums involved.

Unlike many on the zone I don't blame RM for our money woes. I think poor Ron got badly burnt when we spent far to much to last just the one season in the Championship. As you know we ended up not being able to pay players wages. You cant change your budget to zero half way through a season.

I have been quoted the figures by reliable persons but to save arguments I will try to find out the exact sums involved.

Unlike many on the zone I don't blame RM for our money woes. I think poor Ron got badly burnt when we spent far to much to last just the one season in the Championship. As you know we ended up not being able to pay players wages. You cant change your budget to zero half way through a season.

He signed the contracts. He agreed the crazy wages and even crazier contract lengths. He saw other clubs finish ahead of us in the Championship by using HMRC as a bank and he attempted to get back there doing the same thing.

I think he made some ballsy, if distasteful to many, moves to get us out of the hole that he had dug but ultimately he is 100% responsible for what happened.

Stevenage brought 200 fans more than Walsall did in our first game last season, yet our gate was 700 more this year, so the home gate went up by about 900, thats probably £15,000 more gate revenue from home fans than we got last year. So even with our home gates increasing the likes of Swindon and Peterbrough will bring more away fans.

Thats not an insignificant increase.

So would Luton and Orient. If your figures are correct for the whole season we would increase our turnover by £400,000 from gate receipts. As I have pointed out before the blues lounge holds 60 people so we cant earn any more from commercial activities whilst we remain at RH. With new contracts the current staff have all had pay rises including I guess PB. So that wont leave much for the 25 goal a season striker, fans are demanding

We had one of the biggest budgets in league 2 last year.

So we have lost out to two league two clubs (arguably smaller) than us
Who's to say that we did genuinely want to sign either? Telling your target that you're putting all your eggs in one basket isn't the best negotiation technique.

He signed the contracts. He agreed the crazy wages and even crazier contract lengths. He saw other clubs finish ahead of us in the Championship by using HMRC as a bank and he attempted to get back there doing the same thing.

I think he made some ballsy, if distasteful to many, moves to get us out of the hole that he had dug but ultimately he is 100% responsible for what happened.

Yes he did, like so many chairman he chased fools gold, pushed gladly along by fans and staff alike.

Think he's learnt his lesson now though, hence the roll of SK to act as the sheriff of Nottingham.

Yes he did, like so many chairman he chased fools gold, pushed gladly along by fans and staff alike.

Think he's learnt his lesson now though, hence the roll of SK to act as the sheriff of Nottingham.

If SK is Sheriff of Nottingham then why the **** haven't we signed McLaughlin from Forrest yet?

Another great zone myth. Ask the chairman of Portsmouth, Plymouth, Luton and Northampton to name but a few who spent more than us.

Ask the chairman of Accrington, York city, Newport, Morecambe, Exeter, Mansfield town. Who are on extremely low budgets compared to us last season (sending £25k on Bolger and all the loans etc..) Dagenham&Redbridge and Wycombe wanderers can't even fill their bench up and they have to sign players on non contract terms.

Phil Brown even admitted in the echo that he was backed well by Ron last year with his backroom staff size, the Bolger fee and loans.

Back