• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He has already earnt us one point this season on monday night, will probably earn us countless more. Hopefully he will stay till end of season then get a well deserved move. By which time hopefully young Ted will step up, if he isnt sold as well!

What a load of codswallop this thread is, they are PAID proffesionals, they WILL take the most money offered by ANY club, they hold NO loyalty to this or any other club, loyalty in football is long gone.........................I say enjoy his performances while Bents is here & watch his future performances for club & country at a higher level, proud & privileged you got to see his development at SUFC...................

They have an extremely short career so they have to make the most of it, good luck to them as I'm sure if your honest 100% reading would agree if they were a pro footballer

I'm just happy we have Bents until January at least

Whatever Ron gets for Dan will be used to offset Ron's SUFC losses. It will not be used on bringing players in. The longer Dan stays with us the better IMO. Plus we already have a war chest, it's just that Ron has misplaced the key somewhere.

Matt Lockwood, was local, never played for us despite being linked in every transfer window for 15 seasons. Mostly by ShrimperZone :smiles:

Actually, mostly by you and Google/Images! :smile:

As for the original post... Zeuss, stop making me agree with MrsBlue! It's embarrassing!

Whatever Ron gets for Dan will be used to offset Ron's SUFC losses. It will not be used on bringing players in. The longer Dan stays with us the better IMO. Plus we already have a war chest, it's just that Ron has misplaced the key somewhere.

If, as you're implying, RM's principal motive here was the cash, DB would be playing his football elsewhere already.

I've just been reading that Bentley has refused to sign a new,longer contract,something that would have bumped up his wages now and given him definite security,in the event of serious injury or loss of form.Much more important it would have enabled our club to receive a much,much larger transfer fee when we eventually sell him.So much for loving the club because he's a local! I would never barrack a current player,but could I suggest that if he dares to come over at the end of tomorrow's match and start clapping at the crowd,he is met with an instant response of total silence.
Cf.that other local hero,Barrett,who actively led the rush of players to get out of the club,when wages became scarce in 2010.Anthony grant was the only senior player who stayed loyal!

I've got to say, I was a bit disappointed when I read this in the Echo.

I've just been reading that Bentley has refused to sign a new,longer contract,something that would have bumped up his wages now and given him definite security,in the event of serious injury or loss of form.Much more important it would have enabled our club to receive a much,much larger transfer fee when we eventually sell him.So much for loving the club because he's a local! I would never barrack a current player,but could I suggest that if he dares to come over at the end of tomorrow's match and start clapping at the crowd,he is met with an instant response of total silence.
Cf.that other local hero,Barrett,who actively led the rush of players to get out of the club,when wages became scarce in 2010.Anthony grant was the only senior player who stayed loyal!

Absolute rubbish, (as has already been stated, if I can remind you). The only reason Bentley will leave is to develop his career. Not for money. As for the end of tomorrow's game, enjoy standing there on your own in silence whilst everyone around you is applauding after Bentley's last minute save secures all three points for us.

I would personally be surprised if Bentley isn't sold in January now as in my opinion it's imperative we negotiate his sale ourselves rather than risk a tribunal next summer. Not because of the transfer fee (which will be dramatically lower than £1.25m anyway now regardless of when he is sold) but because of the sell-on %. It's imperative we negotiate our own sell-on, especially for a goalkeeper this highly-rated. Look at Barnsley and John Stones, they're all set to make an absolute FORTUNE when he is finally sold by Everton. Bentley is very young for a keeper and if he continues to make quick progress he could earn this club a lot of money at some point in the future, with a 20-25% sell-on percentage making the initial transfer fee when he leaves Southend look like chicken-feed. To risk a tribunal (which would only probably award us around 5-10% of a future sale at best) would be a catastrophic decision by RM in my view.

Switch it round. Your a contractor working for a local company in Southend. Another couple of companies come in and ask your current employer about letting you work for them. They refuse. You'd see out your contract with your current employer and go and better yourself with a move to London or something working for a better company and probably more money.

Sort of the same situation. I presume Zeuss works for a local company in Southend, and has stayed loyal to that company for his entire working life?????

All very predictable.

Good luck to DB. Done us well and deserves a move. Maybe we could taken the money but I hope we can work with him and sell him in Jan when we can still get a fee (not tribunal) and he can get the move he wants.

Lot of young players have left the club before ever seeing the first team so I think DB gets full credit for what he has done and they way he has conducted himself.

I personally wish him nothing but the best.

Absolute rubbish, (as has already been stated, if I can remind you). The only reason Bentley will leave is to develop his career. Not for money. As for the end of tomorrow's game, enjoy standing there on your own in silence whilst everyone around you is applauding after Bentley's last minute save secures all three points for us.

I guess a bit of both as they should go hand in hand , but I get what you mean.
Club have done nothing wrong here and certainly neither as DB.
My guess is that Ron expected QPR to come back with a higher bid , rather than take Smithies.
A gamble ?
Yes of course it was , and one in which he ultimately lost , but given Dans reputation , probably one worth taking ( hindsight is a great gift and I know many on here have it ).
So what now ?
I agree to a great extent with the views that why would a bigger club come in and pay top dollar in Jan , when he only has 6 months left on his contract - It would be foolish in the extreme
But Football Club Chairman are an odd sort and whilst the generally have sound business acumen ( in most cases ) if their( Prem or L1 ) team is in trouble come January and may have lost their keeper to injury , strange things can happen.
Do they leave it until June and face competition from many more teams or do they move in Jan to secure a good keeper that might just save their season.
I guess this is greatly clutching at straws and the likely scenario is that we will lose him in June for a lowish fee , but it's not impossible either that someone will panic in Jan.
A few months of toil for a decentish side may be our best hope yet.
Whatever happens , the young man has been a credit to our club and will be mentioned for years to come.

I wanted Dan to stay and looks like a YES YES YES he has

I don't care if it never get 500k or £5 Million as long he stays for our 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Season and helps Southend United FC stay in Division 1 and we stay up :-)

It’s not always about money folks

It’s About OUR CLUB , SOUTHEND UNITED FC staying in this league

I want us to be Division 1 football club next season please Mr Brown :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sort of the same situation. I presume Zeuss works for a local company in Southend, and has stayed loyal to that company for his entire working life?????[/QUOTE]

I simply 'rot in the reserves' until they get rid of me.......:sad:

I would personally be surprised if Bentley isn't sold in January now as in my opinion it's imperative we negotiate his sale ourselves rather than risk a tribunal next summer. Not because of the transfer fee (which will be dramatically lower than £1.25m anyway now regardless of when he is sold) but because of the sell-on %. It's imperative we negotiate our own sell-on, especially for a goalkeeper this highly-rated. Look at Barnsley and John Stones, they're all set to make an absolute FORTUNE when he is finally sold by Everton. Bentley is very young for a keeper and if he continues to make quick progress he could earn this club a lot of money at some point in the future, with a 20-25% sell-on percentage making the initial transfer fee when he leaves Southend look like chicken-feed. To risk a tribunal (which would only probably award us around 5-10% of a future sale at best) would be a catastrophic decision by RM in my view.

I think the club took a view we can get less in Jan but he may secure us enough points between now and then to make the loss of cash worth while.

Is this a "no way" signing a contract or I am "not signing that one, but up my wages a bit, and I might" situation. For all we know the club may not have put a release clause in it, or a stupid one.

We do not know the ins an outs of all the negotiations, so this whole thread is just pants. :smile:

I have admired the way Dan was dealt with the situation , however within Football there are young players who are getting their heads turned and I think personally there should be a rule in that if you sign a contract you have to see at least half of that before you move to another club . The De gea saga is embarrassing all around and when he signed the contract I bet he was very happy with the terms.

Dan does well by all accounts , but he is in a tricky situation , does he believe that this maybe his only chance of a jump in standard , if feel not , it seems to me that he is confident of his ability and believes even by seeing his contract out that he will still get picked up - I tend to agree as well , I think he is up there with Federici when he was at the Hall and look where he has played since .

Back