• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southchurch

Manager⭐
Has Daniel made a move away less likely with his displays of late?
Will Ron regret not getting a good price when he had the chance?
He knows that scouts are keeping a close eye on him, has this effected his game?
The mistakes are racking up now and I believe he is not as good as last season.
He appears to be looking to punch the ball when a catch is a much safer option.
I think he has lost some of that swagger and confidence is low.

Or is it the defense in general that has made him more shaky looking.
Thinking about corners and free kicks. We look like it's panic stations every time of late.

Is this some kind of wind up??... due to my comment about the tiresome Barry Corr Posts in a "non "barry Corr" Thread?! :headbang:

However, not wanting to entertain this thread any more than it should do. My personal answer is no.

Now how about a thread about next seasons kit designs??

Last edited:
Personally, I think its a valid thread.

Bentley's certainly made a few mistakes of late. I definitely think he could have done better with the first goal conceded at Sheffield United, for instance. However he also has a habit of pulling off a string of top class saves in the same game so perhaps it evens itself out.

I think League One is probably the right level for him now and I think if he went higher this year he'd probably be competing with another top class keeper for a place in the side, whereas with us he's undisputed no 1.

I've also been pleasantly surprised with how we've adapted to life in this division and I honestly think we're only 2 or 3 decent signings away from sneaking a playoff spot. I'm not saying we wouldn't get murdered in the league above but maybe Dan feels PB is building something here now and might want to stay until the summer to see what happens?

Yes, his value has dropped but only because his contract is down to the last 6 months in January and clubs will be hoping to pick him up for free in the summer.

He's made a couple of errors this season, but it's hard to think of even one error he made last season, he's a young goalkeeper and is still learning and developing and will still go on to be a top player.

Yes, his value has dropped but only because his contract is down to the last 6 months in January and clubs will be hoping to pick him up for free in the summer.

He's made a couple of errors this season, but it's hard to think of even one error he made last season, he's a young goalkeeper and is still learning and developing and will still go on to be a top player.

Shrewsbury away

The thing i'm most concerned about is..... Is Bentley's mum still a m i l f ?

Not heard it sung for ages ....

It would appear that his form is directly proportional to his mums attractiveness

I don't think he's gotten worse but the quality of opponents has clearly improved. Strikers in this division are capable of getting their shots off earlier and are much more accurate than in league 2. If you watch the number of basic errors that other GKs make in the lower leagues you'll see how solid Bentley is.

He made mistakes earlier on in his career in L2 and his brilliant attitude and work ethic meant that he went on to become the best player in the league in his position if not outright. He will get better as a natural consequence of playing with and against better players.

I still think we might be able to keep him. Brown has a silver tongue and whilst we're still on the fringes of the playoffs we've shown remarkable progress since last year.

As their player used his hand to knock away from Dan, which the ref could not see so he never gave it, I think your being a bit harsh

No when Dan got a massive rush of blood to the head and steamed into no mans land

No when Dan got a massive rush of blood to the head and steamed into no mans land

It was those same rushes of blood that made him come and catch everything that day to take the pressure off the defence. Until he was fouled and their new signing scored with a brilliant volley.

Kevin Ball (Sunderland) was at the game to watch a Shrewsbury player. He ended up watching Bentley and the thing that impressed him the most.....Dans ability to deal with all the balls pumped into the box, which of course is the reason we actually got to 85minutes with a 1-0 lead in the first place.

Shame some of our fans just love to get on our own players backs.

Of course his value has dropped - he has just 6 months left on his deal. A tribunal won't give us anywhere NEAR the £1.25m QPR offered and anyone who thinks we'll get anything like that fee is in cloud cuckoo land. IMHO (and I sais it at the time) it was a mistake not to sell him in the summer with some juicy clauses thrown in. We'll be lucky to get around £400k for Dan now whether he leaves in January or at the end of the season.

Has Daniel made a move away less likely with his displays of late?
Will Ron regret not getting a good price when he had the chance?
He knows that scouts are keeping a close eye on him, has this effected his game?
The mistakes are racking up now and I believe he is not as good as last season.
He appears to be looking to punch the ball when a catch is a much safer option.
I think he has lost some of that swagger and confidence is low.

Or is it the defense in general that has made him more shaky looking.
Thinking about corners and free kicks. We look like it's panic stations every time of late.

The answer to just about all of these is YES.
Most keepers are pretty good at shot-stopping,Bentley is excellent.dealing with crosses including corners is a weakness that needs to be overcome.he is still very young for a keeper and should be able to improve but no-one should close their eyes to the fact he has made a string of embarrassing errors recently.No Championship side would want to bring him off their bench at present.

It hasn't dropped. It was over inflated in the first place. The lad has huge potential, but has only had a couple of seasons in League Two. Still, if someone is prepared to pay that sort of money for potential, good luck to them.

It hasn't dropped. It was over inflated in the first place. The lad has huge potential, but has only had a couple of seasons in League Two. Still, if someone is prepared to pay that sort of money for potential, good luck to them.

They were. They won't be now. It's too late.

Is this some kind of wind up??... due to my comment about the tiresome Barry Corr Posts in a "non "barry Corr" Thread?! :headbang:

However, not wanting to entertain this thread any more than it should do. My personal answer is no.

Now how about a thread about next seasons kit designs??

oh goody. I like those threads:smile:

I say dans value has dropped a bit from the summer window.. His contract getting closer to ending and I agree he hadn't been what we're used to this season... I can only think Coventry being the only performance that matches what we say week in week out last season.. He still makes the instinctive world class saves every now and then... But hi little mistakes which went unpunished in the basement division, are being punished in this division and making them more noticeable then they would've been in past seasons.

I also wouldn't be overly surprised if he did sign a new deal.. He probably thinks his found his level for now... Until he gains more experience. The fans have still backed him despite him wanting to leave... And who could've predicted how well we've done so far.. He may be thinking we could make the step up with him and match his ambition in the next couple of seasons

I say dans value has dropped a bit from the summer window.. His contract getting closer to ending and I agree he hadn't been what we're used to this season... I can only think Coventry being the only performance that matches what we say week in week out last season.. He still makes the instinctive world class saves every now and then... But hi little mistakes which went unpunished in the basement division, are being punished in this division and making them more noticeable then they would've been in past seasons.

Bentley made a good point a couple of weeks ago. This isn't usually a "clean sheets" division, it has the highest average goals scored in all 4 professional English Leagues. He was never going to keep as many clean sheets as last season, plus the chopping and changing at CB due to injuries hasn't helped. His value has dropped - certainly - due to his contract expiry drawing closer but personally I think he's had a pretty good half-season.

Back