• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
With matches against Doncaster tied at 13 wins apiece, tomorrow brings a referee who we hope will do much better than in his last Southend game.

The man in charge tomorrow is Lee Collins from Surrey. He was fast tracked through the system and rose to the level of League referee remarkably quickly, this being his fifth season.

He started his career off with 6 red cards in his first 11 matches, then calmed down a lot - although not in that last Southend match. It was our second successive win at Portsmouth with 10 men as he showed two yellows to Barry Corr and a straight red to one of theirs. Also a yellow for Timlin.

Before that his last Southend match was Wimbledon at home last season - one of many disappointing home matches - when we lost 1-0. Four yellows: Bolger for us and three for them.

Then it was the 0-0 home draw with Bury the season before last when he again sent off Barry Corr (tomorrow is therefore probably the only match this season I'd prefer Mooney to Corr!) and cautioned Egan and Leonard (and two of theirs).

Previously it was our wretched performance at Newport the same season where he was comfortably more competent than the players. Atkinson's yellow was the only card of the match.

His previous home match was the League Cup defeat by Yeovil. A yellow for Prosser and four of theirs.

And before that, he killed the game for Dagenham with a unjustifiable red card after 8 minutes (which was subsequently rescinded). A further yellow for Phillips and a comfortable 3-1 win thanks to two goals from Britt.

He has refereed Southend on two other previous occasions. More recently, Oxford away at the end of the 2011/12 season (one caution for us, two for them) and before that at, co-incidentally, Dagenham in the 3-2 League win when he cautioned Mohsni and again two of theirs. He didn't attract much comment, adverse or otherwise.

He has missed half of this season through injury and has only done 8 games, nothing in the Championship. Those 8 games have seen 30 yellows and, so far, no reds.

His last Doncaster match was their 5-0 away win at Crawley last season.

He will be assisted by one time paying customer at Roots Hall, Rob Whitton from Chelmsford and Ian Rathbone from the whimsically named Semilong in Northamptonshire, who was here for the Blackpool game a few weeks ago. A change from the original appointments, Constantine Hatzidakis is replaced as 4th Official by Londoner, Paul Johnson.

I remember some of the games, for mainly the wrong reasons.
I hope Phil is thinking (and amending) on his strategy with refs, as his constant arguing with decisions and the 4th official doesn't seem to do "US" any favours.

I agree. It just comes over as sour grapes and sets a bad example to the kids in the stands.

I remember some of the games, for mainly the wrong reasons.
I hope Phil is thinking (and amending) on his strategy with refs, as his constant arguing with decisions and the 4th official doesn't seem to do "US" any favours.

Vs Millwall when the ref chatted to him after one of ours were booked he pointed out the similarities to a challenge by the millwall number 6. The ref gave Phil a good telling off. 5 minutes later the number 6 made an innocuous foul in the middle of the pitch and got a yellow card. I don't agree with players and managers having a word with refs, but the refs are humans and unfortunately it does offen do the complaining team some favours

Vs Millwall when the ref chatted to him after one of ours were booked he pointed out the similarities to a challenge by the millwall number 6. The ref gave Phil a good telling off. 5 minutes later the number 6 made an innocuous foul in the middle of the pitch and got a yellow card. I don't agree with players and managers having a word with refs, but the refs are humans and unfortunately it does offen do the complaining team some favours

...but sometimes it goes the other way. The ref gives them nothing, because the manager is getting on his nerves (moaning about every little thing).

Back