• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Selecting teams for home matches to win the game rather than to keep a clean sheet.

"The sweet sellers walking round the perimeter"

I was told this story...

"I went to a Southend game nany years ago and the seller walked round the perimeter shouting 'Choc ices!'. I quite fancied one as did my brother.so I waited for the seller to come round again...

"Choc ices! Choc ices!" "Two choc ices please" "Sorry mate, we don't sell 'em. Choc ices!"

The Magic Sponge from the Seventies. After an injury during the game, the trainer would come on and press and rub the sponge full of water over the injury. It always seemed to do the trick, hence Magic Sponge.
Player limping...Magic Sponge, Ball in the face...Magic Sponge, Broken neck...Magic Sponge.

All my mates both dead and alive who stood in the North Bank in the late 60's and 70's.

Chasing Cockney Reds around Euston Station.
i
Remember ,with you in that bar/pub above Euston station,
Then hearing a massive "UNITED",,travelers might have thought Man.Utd,Newcastle...but no..it was the main mob of SOUTHEND..we knocked our beers back ,"sharpish"..then joined the lads on our next "adventure"

All those horrible, nasty, grotty & run down away grounds I attended mid week in the old third and fourth division games.

As bad as they were it was possibly some of the best times of my life and I wish I was that young again and enjoying the company of the other die hard fans who also went.

All those horrible, nasty, grotty & run down away grounds I attended mid week in the old third and fourth division games.

As bad as they were it was possibly some of the best times of my life and I wish I was that young again and enjoying the company of the other die hard fans who also went.

Not nasty and grotty and run down.

Grounds with individual character that imprint themselves on your mind forever as opposed to souless stadia that are (virtually) all the same.

The Magic Sponge from the Seventies. After an injury during the game, the trainer would come on and press and rub the sponge full of water over the injury. It always seemed to do the trick, hence Magic Sponge.
Player limping...Magic Sponge, Ball in the face...Magic Sponge, Broken neck...Magic Sponge.
Would that have been John Lattimer?
Lovely guy sadly no longer with us,presented me my first football honours with the mighty Priory Atheletic.

Would that have been John Lattimer?
Lovely guy sadly no longer with us,presented me my first football honours with the mighty Priory Atheletic.

He would have been one of them, but it happened at all clubs at the time. Also, they were all called Trainers, and not Physio's etc. Some would bring on the Sponge already soaked in water, and some would even bring on a little bucket of water with the Sponge, Lol.

Anyone remember the 'disco' which was above the Shrimpers Club in the mid seventies - open Friday and Saturday evenings I think, sometimes saw a few of the players there.

He would have been one of them, but it happened at all clubs at the time. Also, they were all called Trainers, and not Physio's etc. Some would bring on the Sponge already soaked in water, and some would even bring on a little bucket of water with the Sponge, Lol.

My dad was trainer at Woodford Town in the mid 60s, I got to see a number of decent players for the London teams 3rd strings

Back