• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I miss going to Roots Hall on a regular basis.

"Serves you right for moving to Cornwall, you silly old scrote!"

I miss 'big name' opponent strikers like Trundle, Agogo and Byfield. Genuinely got you worried when they were on the ball and always seemed to have a bit of magic. Maybe it's a byproduct of not going so much and I'm missing out, but there don't seem to be so many 'one player' teams at the moment.

Maybe it's a byproduct of not going so much and I'm missing out, but there don't seem to be so many 'one player' teams at the moment.

It's a league two phenomenon. Fatty Gabbiadini at Darlo, Neil Grayson at Cheltenham, Luke Rodgers at Shrewsbury, Sean Devine at Wycombe, you guys and Trevor Fitzpatrick...

Modern equivalents still exist - Windass at Accrington, Roofe at Oxford, Cureton at Frankenstein and Redbridge, Akinde at Barnet, Jayton Orient...

I think the only time we've won 3-2 at Swansea was the memorable occasion when we had three players sent off. But I don't think it was midweek and we were never 2-1 down.

This was the game - http://sufcdb.co.uk/match.php?m=1997

When I first started going, in 1985, the North Bank wasn't the packed stand that is often spoken of on here. Plenty of room to swing a cat or indeed any feline and I used to enjoy meandering over to the North/West corner and having the whole section pretty much to myself.

Another shout out for The Golden Lion. I didn't drink in there loads, but towards the end of the 2005/06 season, if you weren't in The Spread by about 1130 then you weren't getting in. So The Golden Lion was a decent substitute for a couple of months

The thrill of going into an unknown, foreboding pub in Sheffield, Bradford, Huddersfield, Darlington, Hartlepool, Rochdale, Cardiff etc etc and knowing all you have to do is keep the accent quiet. You knew they suspected but they were not certain!
Yet...the voice was always louder than my brain was sensible. I wanted them to know I was Southend!

Spot on...im sure you you did the same as i did..look through the football league review..looking for something about the Blues..if not then thrown away...but now we are older..we would read it,a good mag..and for nowt!!
I think i only remember a few thing about the Blues in it,..a colour picture of us in an all blue kit...inside back page.a picture of our club badge-supporters badge(sammy Shrimper)......and sadly an article about the death of Trevor Roberts,who had then played for Cambridge utd..

After home "holiday" period results of 0-4, 0-3.
I miss home holiday victories such as Easter 1973. April 20th won 5-0 v Port Vale and the following day won 5-1 against Chesterfield.

After home "holiday" period results of 0-4, 0-3.
I miss home holiday victories such as Easter 1973. April 20th won 5-0 v Port Vale and the following day won 5-1 against Chesterfield.
"Hoggy" I remember it well, our Goalscorers were as follows Chris Guthrie(3+2), King Billy Best(2+2) & Big Gary Moore who scored the last goal but only played for the final 15 minutes against Chesterfield. "HAPPY DAYS"

Back