• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I miss Roots Hall being recognised as a very good ground, instead of an out of date one.

Love is in the eyes of the beholder.....will love her forever...built by people like us,for people like us...A ONE OFF

The smell of LINSEED OIL..think thats the way its spelt...that smell when the players ran out before kick-off..
Who need pills,mags,dodgy birds...give me that smell anytime....IM READY:thumbsup:

The fluttering sound of an Izal bum-scraper toilet roll whizzing over your head on its way from the back of the North Stand towards its target of the goal net/crossbar.

The tall, gangly young lady who was, for years, at the back of the band as it marched round the pitch before the game and at half time.

I remember an away game at Southport - Leaving at 6am and having a 53 - a -side football match against Bristol City fans on their way to Liverpool, in a service station car park - Think we lost 5-4!! :stunned:

Did we not play some reserve games at Wellstead Gardens, or is my memory shot?

No. We used to play Combination Reserve League games on Saturdays at Roots Hall. Vividly remember going to a reserve game v Millwall, the day after Cassius Clay had beat Sonny Liston, on a Saturday afternoon and their support was as noisy as Mondays crowd.

The transfer from North to West.
The smell of the tobacco.
Changing ends in the West at half time.
Standing next to a group who used to have a bet running on corners where they passed the kitty on as each one awarded
Billy Best goal celebration, Stuart Brace and Willy Coulson. Tony Hadley scoring from the half way line 'mind the bounce'

I miss Willie Coulson running down the wing getting redder and redder until just before he looked as though he would explode when he either gave up or got subbed.

I miss thinking we might score when we got a free kick. Freddie aside, only Gerry Fell has ever given us that hope.

I miss the tap running in the West Stand bogs continuously. Though if someone had fixed it earlier we wouldn't have a club with crippled finances due to large water bills.

But above all I miss the South Bank, seeing its vast terrace and the (bar once) vast emptiness oddly made me think that the club were at least ambitious enough to think that we might be truly great one day and regularly fill it, as otherwise why would it have been built?

As Jilted John once said:"Gone are those happy days, and the bag I used to carry, gone forever is my paper round, and Keith, and Gary..."

Standing next to a group who used to have a bet running on corners where they passed the kitty on as each one awarded
Billy Best goal celebration, Stuart Brace and Willy Coulson. Tony Hadley scoring from the half way line 'mind the bounce'

How weird is that, as I was typing about old Willie you were too? A fine example of a type of player that will never ever be seen again. I suspect pasta and yoghurt were not his pre-match menu of choice.

How weird is that, as I was typing about old Willie you were too? A fine example of a type of player that will never ever be seen again. I suspect pasta and yoghurt were not his pre-match menu of choice.

.........and after Willie of course came Alan Foggon...........

Definitely remember Neil Townsend scoring from halfway line.

Back