• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Seem to recall gaining admission to the end block in East up stairs from the paddock for a small charge. Was Texas's garden centre section up in smoke (suspected arson) which never re-opened. Texas was later bought-out by Homebase,

Saturday afternoon reserve games.
Only 12 yrs old and getting served Double Diamond from the tea bar at back of West Stand then back in the North Bank for the second half.
I remember they used to sell BOTTLES of Light Ale and Brown Ale from the tea bar in the North Bank .

The smell of cigars being smoked in the East stand when I was a kid (obviously not by me!)

Yes - I don't like the smell of fags but it was usual to have people smoking at games and so I came to associate the smell with being at football. Seems odd to say that now.

Watching a whole game on teletext; especially if the results pages went to 2 or 3 pages. The excitement as it clicked back round to the page with Blues score on.

I remember an evening game (I think) when we were away at Swansea and I think we had not won at Swansea for the last 275 years (or something like that). 3 pages of scores for the division.

Some of the scores turning to results and we were 2-1 down ........... next time round we were 3-2 up (Locke perhaps?) and then the next time it was a result!

Bloody marvellous technology.

using the alley when you come out the West Stand (behind the houses in Shakespeare Drive) which leads upto West Road.

in the West Stand moving whatever way we are kicking

the scoreboard at back of South Terrace with the toilets underneath

Gerry Fell free kicks (v. Newport)

I remember an evening game (I think) when we were away at Swansea and I think we had not won at Swansea for the last 275 years (or something like that). 3 pages of scores for the division.

Some of the scores turning to results and we were 2-1 down ........... next time round we were 3-2 up (Locke perhaps?) and then the next time it was a result!

Bloody marvellous technology.

I think the only time we've won 3-2 at Swansea was the memorable occasion when we had three players sent off. But I don't think it was midweek and we were never 2-1 down.

using the alley when you come out the West Stand (behind the houses in Shakespeare Drive) which leads upto West Road.

in the West Stand moving whatever way we are kicking

the scoreboard at back of South Terrace with the toilets underneath

Gerry Fell free kicks (v. Newport)

And saying you were using it as a short cut if a copper caught you hanging over the wall trying to get in for nothing. That sickly smile never worked once for me.

Getting to the ground before 2pm and sitting down at the turnstile in the North East corner, paying a fiver, through the turnstile and legging it to my fave position, right behind the goal and just behind the bar you could lean on, and get crushed against when we scored. I miss Sammy giving us a ball so we could smash the flourescent lights and I miss the Anglo Italian Cup, the chance to travel abroad to watch our team

Thanks to my Dad, loved standing on the South Bank especially when packed. Great atmosphere. Later on in life enjoyed the banter with mates in West Stand. Great memories, it will never be as good for me. Still a great ground though, love it to bits. COYBB

Adam Locke got 2 at Swansea on a Tuesday in 1991 but we won 4 1

Robins site again.....

Well, I remember Locke and I remember Swansea and the teletext ticking over - but I suspect I have now put two stories together in my mind ............. which has now been ruined by ....... errrhhhh ..... the truth. :'(

Just a minute - just had another thought - was it Gillingham away - 2-1 down then back to 3-2?

Well, I remember Locke and I remember Swansea and the teletext ticking over - but I suspect I have now put two stories together in my mind ............. which has now been ruined by ....... errrhhhh ..... the truth. :'(

Just a minute - just had another thought - was it Gillingham away - 2-1 down then back to 3-2?

Thats still better than my memory, I have Robins site as a shortcut to keep refreshing my "memories"

Our last 3-2 win at Gillingham pre-dated teletext by a number of decades (being in 1955) :winking:

Back