• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First pre season game for me. Oxley looks ok, good save first half, maybe could of got finger tips on the 2nd.

Sokolik, again ok. Would sign as 3rd/4th choice.
McGlashan, didn't really do much for me, couple of good crosses, but I think O'Neill is a better bet at the moment.
Bridge showed quite a few skilful moments, and will be knocking on the door this season. Very promising.
Murray, ran around a lot, never really looked like getting the ball much. Would sign agin as our 4th forward.
Williams, started brightly, but then did nothing. Never held the ball up, never won a header. Please send him out on loan to a league two team, as there is a promising player in there somewhere.
Billy edge, my God please no. 50p head, 2nd to almost every ball, despite his size, never won a thing, clumsy as well.
Cox took about 10 minutes to touch the ball, and tried a few good link ups. Should do well in this league. I think Hunt was a more clever player, but I think Cox is more of a goal scorer.
Demetriou did well when he came on, always wanted the ball, looked to play it to feet and keep it simple.
Kyprianou looked very promising, would be more than happy to have him as back up from the 25 minutes tonight.

Overall a very dull game. Our front two were isolated all night. Newcastle never really created much other than from our mistakes. We offered even less going forward.

The triallists clearly not better than what we have so goodbye to them. Time to invest some money in some decent centre backs and a centre mid.

Slow build up play. When will this ever change? We will get nowhere keep passing back and forth at the back, slow plodding build up play so the opposition always have men behind the ball.

You do realise this was a friendly? Newcastle's build up was even slower

First pre season game for me. Oxley looks ok, good save first half, maybe could of got finger tips on the 2nd.

Sokolik, again ok. Would sign as 3rd/4th choice.
McGlashan, didn't really do much for me, couple of good crosses, but I think O'Neill is a better bet at the moment.
Bridge showed quite a few skilful moments, and will be knocking on the door this season. Very promising.
Murray, ran around a lot, never really looked like getting the ball much. Would sign agin as our 4th forward.
Williams, started brightly, but then did nothing. Never held the ball up, never won a header. Please send him out on loan to a league two team, as there is a promising player in there somewhere.
Billy edge, my God please no. 50p head, 2nd to almost every ball, despite his size, never won a thing, clumsy as well.
Cox took about 10 minutes to touch the ball, and tried a few good link ups. Should do well in this league. I think Hunt was a more clever player, but I think Cox is more of a goal scorer.
Demetriou did well when he came on, always wanted the ball, looked to play it to feet and keep it simple.
Kyprianou looked very promising, would be more than happy to have him as back up from the 25 minutes tonight.

Overall a very dull game. Our front two were isolated all night. Newcastle never really created much other than from our mistakes. We offered even less going forward.

Pretty much how I saw it.

Wtf the club see in williams is beyond me. Stealing a living as a pro.

Don't think either of the two trialist s defenders were that great. Sokalik the better of the two and good fourth option if he is cheap enough. Edge..... see ya.

Murray was playing alongside williams and in truth had little chance against a decent passion side. Again as a fourth choice if he is cheap enough then fair enough button be honest I'd rather sign a non league gem like akinola and give him a chance.

Oxley looked a decent league 1 keeper and will do well to keep the spot and provide competition to smith.

So dissapointed tonight when I saw our starting line up. So negative against a team full of top flight experience.

At times they kept the ball without breaking sweat.

I thought Atkinson was quite poor and also mcglashan did very little.

We looked better when mooney and cox came on.

We are now very short in defence midfield and on tonight's showing need a pacey striker.

This game was about testing ourselves against better opposition. Job done on that front! We ran about a lot so our fitness was tested, we played some one touch football without losing it, sometimes, but Newcastle were that much fitter and that much better on the ball that punishing them for mistakes just wasn't going to happen. I it felt a bit sorry for Jason Williams as he huffed and puffed but he was never at the races in terms of leading the line. He's not good enough for FL1. The time has come for him to go out on a season long loan or let him go completely, my vote goes for the latter.

Jack Bridge looks as if he could be a regular in the side and John White doesn't I'm afraid. JW is not a bad player but he was found a bit wanting tonight. As for the rest, we still need some new centre backs as Sokolik and the guy who's name I can't remember from the second half don't really look up to the task. A lot of this is me rambling as I'm weary so I may add a bit tomorrow.

A quick word on some of the West stand crowd, do try to get to your seats on time and don't bore the arse off me by talking about West Ham the whole game, thank you.

Can anyone explain why Shelvey was booked by some in the West when he touched the ball and when he went off?

Atkinson can not start the season in center mid. I was saying it last season, and it won't change this season. The guy isn't god enough! It don't matter what strikers you sign, if you are not feeding them the ball it's irrelevant what striker you have. The midfielders create you goals and with Leonard defending, relying on Atkinson is worrying. Moussa please come back!

Our best chance first half was when Atkinson won the ball high up the pitch and then slipped Murray through for a one-on -one. Murray never had the pace to get a shot away.

I know it is only a pre season, but all I have seen is Newcastle passing the ball as they please. No pressure from anyone, could be a long tough season this one.
What is the point of Brown posing up on the roof, he could watch video replay after the match.
Surely his place is by the bench or has he had a row with Rafa?

The video doesn't show any movement off the ball.

PB was linked to Coughlan and communicating from the stand. Obviously preparing for the touchline ban.

I was hoping that we would be approaching a settled team/squad by this time of pre-season

There are key decisions to be made whether or not to offer contracts to the trialists and also even if they all signed we are still a number of players short which will enviably loan players.

Staggered that some in here can be so critical of the team tonight. We were playing against a first team from Newcasle practically all of whom were in the Prem last season. It was a tough game, a lot of ball chasing, but I thought we did OK. Yes we lacked going forward, but it was more to do with the quality of their players than our own short comings.

i thought Oxley did well, no chance we either goal, but caught well and commanded the six yard box well. Also a step up on Bentley in the kicking stakes.

Felt sorry for Murray, really wanted him to do well tonight, but starved of service. Saturday would probably be a better test.
if the rumours on Twitter are correct and Murray might have played his last game for us then we are woefully short in the striking dept. At the back I thought Sokolik did OK next to Barrett, less convinced with second half pairing. But again, like the strikers, CB is an area of concern.

all in all, a decent run out, tough game, but many positives to take

We are woefully short at the back. The two trialists are not the answer.

Murray is not at the level of player that we already have.

Wordsworth and Timlin are liable to miss the first month of the season and are both injury prone.

We are at least 4 quality players short of what we need to start this season.

I'm not at all convinced by Sokolik or Edjenguele, i'd prefer we signed neither in all honesty. Not all that fussed about Murray either, mediocre at best by L1 standards.

The injuries to Timlin and Wordsworth have left us short in the middle now too, both are going to miss the first month of the season essentially leaving us with just Leonard & Atkinson. Not to hate on Will by any means, he's a hard working player, but the technical side of his game isn't really of the caliber required to be an every game starter in L1.

We need 2 quality centrebacks and a decent central midfielder and striker to round out the squad, which is certainly cause for concern with the start of the season less than two weeks away.

I didn't go to the game but if we don't sign Sokolik or Edjenguele, aren't we leaving it a bit late to get cover in? Unless we're going to target the loan market.

I didn't go to the game but if we don't sign Sokolik or Edjenguele, aren't we leaving it a bit late to get cover in? Unless we're going to target the loan market.

And upfront. Don't get the criticism of Murray. The guy has done well preseason and tonight was a tough night for all the players especially the front guys. If we don't sign Murray, we are left with two strikers. Williams is never L1 standard and no idea about ranger

it was a friendly and served its purpose. The difference between the sides was Newcastle capitalised on a couple of errors and we didn't- and of course Newcastle have huge strength in depth whilst we bring the kids on. First half we were pretty discipled and really little between the sides- Newcastle had the ball a lot, and it went sideways a lot but the key statistic was that Oxley needed to make the one save from Shelvey.

Of the trialists Sokolik was the best. As normal I was watching an entirely different game to some so whilst I saw that he was quick to the tackle, good in the air and covered well, I for the life of me can't remember him doing anything bizarre or making any significant mistakes?

In terms of where to spend any available funds..

Up front we have Ranger, Cox, Mooney plus Williams (maybe plus Murray). I thought Williams did ok. Instead of Murray we could probably do with someone who is quick and can play both wide and down the middle. Reason..then we would not need to also get in another wide player (and anyway Atkinson can cover there) and concentrate on a CM (this is where I would put the boat out). I would take Sokolik and then also look to bring in an experienced, good CB (and probably not Edge- although he's not the worst and probably could do a job).

And upfront. Don't get the criticism of Murray. The guy has done well preseason and tonight was a tough night for all the players especially the front guys. If we don't sign Murray, we are left with two strikers. Williams is never L1 standard and no idea about ranger

Three strikers- Ranger, Cox and Mooney? We have Ranger and I don't think we will activate our option to release him.

Back