• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It seems like Brown was tying fit all 3 centre backs into the side for the sake of it. I hope he realizes he was wrong and leaves one on the bench. If thats Barrett then that has to be Barrett, but reading some of the reports from some of the people who watched it maybe should be Inniss. Demetriou and Coker out wide and lets hope sorting the defence out helps sort the rest of the side out too.

It seems like Brown was tying fit all 3 centre backs into the side for the sake of it. I hope he realizes he was wrong and leaves one on the bench. If thats Barrett then that has to be Barrett, but reading some of the reports from some of the people who watched it maybe should be Inniss. Demetriou and Coker out wide and lets hope sorting the defence out helps sort the rest of the side out too.

At the back O'Neill, Inniss and Barratt looked the most culpable for me in this game. I suggested White start and others (who I agreed with) added that Thompson deserved a start after the very good show against the O's. We all seemed to have agreed that PB would go 5 across the back and I expect he will keep on doing that.
Barratt does do the blocking, shouting stuff but he looks increasingly too slow, easily turned, likely to concede a free kick and negative in clearing a ball/pass upfield.

Plus the inevitable cuddling!

......... and that cuddling led to the free kick for the 1st goal. :sad:

I'm not sure that any of the 3 central defenders did that well on Saturday but I agree with the comments above about dropping at least 1 of them and perhaps two. I wouldn't mind seeing a back four of .........

Demmy (or White) Thompson Anton (or Inniss) Coker

I would like to see Inniss/Thompson and Sokolik start, but it won't happen.

^
I don't have confidence in Barratt and Anton being next to each other, or Wordsworth with Leonard, Cox and Mooney; these three pairings don't add up to more than each but less.
Add to that, especially away from home the two Macs leave big gaps behind them and for the midfield without adding enough in return for the attack options as we don't pass but hit long too often.

When I have seen Bridge he DOES look happy with ball to feet in the same way as Payne did; I would like to see him being used more often.

White, Thompson, Ferdinand, Coker
O'Neill, Leonard, Timlin (where is he?), McLaughlin
Ranger, Cox

That's about as solid a team as we can put out. If you're feeling adventurous, put McGlashan in for O'Neill.

I din't see the game, so I have no sensible comment to make. Nevertheless, Rochdale have now been added to my list of least favourite teams and that muppet, Medez-Laing, has now become my least favourite footballer.

Okay, so we were heading for another away defeat, but at least I had the consolation that my score prediction was looking good.

Did Rochdale really need to bring the idiot on? Did mr. Mendez_Laing really need to rub salt in the wound by scoring a third goal, thereby stuffing my prediction? They must have realised, before the third goal, that our strike force wasn't going to trouble them, so their win bonuses were safe enough. Grrrrrr

...............................................OXLEY......................................
WHITE....................THOMPSON.......BARRETT.......................COKER
WORDSWORTH..........LEONARD.........TIMLIN..................MCLAUGHLIN
..............................FORTUNE...........COX......................................

FERDINAND CANT RUN. HIS LEGS HAVE GONE.EVEN DEAR OLD DAVE JOBSON IS MORE MOBILE AROUND ROOTS HALL.
INNESS IS JUST A BIG OLD FASHIONED LUMP WHOS CENTRE OF GRAVITY IS IN THE BIG SPACE BETWEEN HIS EARS.
MOONEY TRIES HARD BUT BLESS HIM HE'S JUST NOT ANY GOOD.

WE MISS TIMLIN'S TENACITY, TEMPO + PRESSING. HE WONT TOLERATE ANYONE SWITCHING OFF. AS SOON AS HE'S FIT , GET HIM BACK IN THE MIDDLE BOSSING THE GAME. COX NEEDS TO PLAY IN A FRONT 2 WITH A BIG MAN. THEY ARE TOP QUALITY SO WILL CREATE CHANCES. WHITE + THOMPSON DESERVE TO PLAY DUE TO THEIR PERFORMANCES NOT COZ THEYVE GOT A FAMOUS BROTHER OR ARE ON LOAN FROM A PREM CLUB. BARRETT IS ESSENTIAL FOR HIS PASSION BUT ONLY THOMPSON HAS THE PACE TO COMPLEMENT HIM. UNLEASH RANGER FROM THE BENCH WHEN THE FRONT 2 HAVE DONE THEIR JOB. WE NEED TO GET IN THE FACES OF THE OPPOSITION, BE STRONG NOT THE MEEK PUSHOVERS OF SATURDAY.
SORT IT OUT BROWN!:angry:

...............................................OXLEY......................................
WHITE....................THOMPSON.......BARRETT.......................COKER
WORDSWORTH..........LEONARD.........TIMLIN..................MCLAUGHLIN
..............................FORTUNE...........COX......................................

FERDINAND CANT RUN. HIS LEGS HAVE GONE.EVEN DEAR OLD DAVE JOBSON IS MORE MOBILE AROUND ROOTS HALL.
INNESS IS JUST A BIG OLD FASHIONED LUMP WHOS CENTRE OF GRAVITY IS IN THE BIG SPACE BETWEEN HIS EARS.
MOONEY TRIES HARD BUT BLESS HIM HE'S JUST NOT ANY GOOD.

WE MISS TIMLIN'S TENACITY, TEMPO + PRESSING. HE WONT TOLERATE ANYONE SWITCHING OFF. AS SOON AS HE'S FIT , GET HIM BACK IN THE MIDDLE BOSSING THE GAME. COX NEEDS TO PLAY IN A FRONT 2 WITH A BIG MAN. THEY ARE TOP QUALITY SO WILL CREATE CHANCES. WHITE + THOMPSON DESERVE TO PLAY DUE TO THEIR PERFORMANCES NOT COZ THEYVE GOT A FAMOUS BROTHER OR ARE ON LOAN FROM A PREM CLUB. BARRETT IS ESSENTIAL FOR HIS PASSION BUT ONLY THOMPSON HAS THE PACE TO COMPLEMENT HIM. UNLEASH RANGER FROM THE BENCH WHEN THE FRONT 2 HAVE DONE THEIR JOB. WE NEED TO GET IN THE FACES OF THE OPPOSITION, BE STRONG NOT THE MEEK PUSHOVERS OF SATURDAY.
SORT IT OUT BROWN!:angry:

Given the whole post is in upper case I presume you used voice recognition software and shouted in a very loud voice at the screen?

^
I don't have confidence in Barratt and Anton being next to each other, or Wordsworth with Leonard, Cox and Mooney; these three pairings don't add up to more than each but less.
Add to that, especially away from home the two Macs leave big gaps behind them and for the midfield without adding enough in return for the attack options as we don't pass but hit long too often.

When I have seen Bridge he DOES look happy with ball to feet in the same way as Payne did; I would like to see him being used more often.

Agree with you regarding Jack Bridge. I think we have a problem when we play two wide men, McGlashen and McLaughlin. If we played a more narrow system it would stop teams from pouring through our midfield. The width would come from Demetriou and Coker who are very good going forward. Playing with wingers can be a luxury unless they are tormenting the opposing full back, that doesn't happen very often.

Not sure why people have decided Inniss has to be dropped. I know we have a history of 'lets hate the new boy' school playground mentality but he has done more than ok in his first few games.

He looked better each game on the 3 home matches and was not to blame for the goals on Saturday. In fact if you want just 2 CB's then he would be the obvious choice with either Barrett or Ferdinand sweeping.

Agree with you regarding Jack Bridge. I think we have a problem when we play two wide men, McGlashen and McLaughlin. If we played a more narrow system it would stop teams from pouring through our midfield. The width would come from Demetriou and Coker who are very good going forward. Playing with wingers can be a luxury unless they are tormenting the opposing full back, that doesn't happen very often.

But every time we do that and expect the full backs to act as attacking and defending wing backs, we look stupidly exposed on the flanks.

One of the many dispiriting things about Saturday's thrashing (we've lost more than half our games this season by at least 2 goals) was the lack of hope in it for the future. The average age of the 14 used was 28!

Our youngest player* was the 24 year old Sturrock signing Ryan Leonard.

Not including their loanee, Rochdale fielded five players younger than him, including three a full four years younger than him. One of them was very nearly 20 years younger than Barrett!

No Ted Smith, Jack Bridge, Harry Kyprianou. The latter two didn't even make the bench.

*Crystal Palace's Ryan Inniss is 21 but he's not ours to keep, so there's no upside to any growing pains of his.

Last edited:
**** me them highlights are grim.

First goal, that ball should never be allowed to come that deep in the box regardless of the delivery. Poor from the keeper IMO.

Second goal, why no one is pressuring that winger is beyond me. Poor from McLovin by the looks of it.

Third goal, long hopeless kick down the middle, Ranger does his best to try and get there but in fairness ***** up a bit and then they play one ball and he's through.

Beyond a joke now. WAKE UP RON!

BROWN OUT. One of the worst managers in the football league. Was a laughing stock towards the end of his tenure at Hull and done nothing since. Getting Southend promoted wasnt success. Not going up automatically was a failure. Get rid. He is utter tosh.

BROWN OUT. One of the worst managers in the football league. Was a laughing stock towards the end of his tenure at Hull and done nothing since. Getting Southend promoted wasnt success. Not going up automatically was a failure. Get rid. He is utter tosh.
You forget how well he did at Preston, he was so bad he couldn't beat us in two legs of F.A Cup ties! In fact he was so bad nobody wanted him! I forget how many jobs he applied for and got rejected from?

You could call it a tale of two set pieces, but it was more than just that. We actually settled in and played ok for the first 15, without of course being rude enough to bother the hosts keeper. My friend, on his first away day this season, nudged me about 30 seconds before their first free kick and said "haven't seen anything from them we need to worry about." As the dangerous left footed Joe Bunney lined up the kick, I did reply, to the naïve away day virgin "yes I thought that at Northampton."

I was surprised that PB had kept faith in Mooney. Yes he has done better lately but Fortune and Cox had done more than enough to be starting. Mooney repaid that faith by giving us a shocking 30 minutes, off-side and falling over. One of his dives was so poor the home crowd actually laughed and done us no favours. The ref allowed the game to flow after that and Rochdale had far more desire, especially in the air, all game. The 2 Mc's were not much better.

Rochdale didn't mind giving us a free kick either. We had 4 chances around their box in the first half. Unlike them, our set pieces were poor yet again. I was sitting in the main stand and their first goal was an excellent delivery 9/10. Can't blame Oxley for that one. What you don't see on the TV is that it really curled from outside the six yard box right onto the head of the impressive Niall Canavan. He had a really strong game very good in the air. As did their MOM Calvin Andrew, who had cleverly won the free kick in the first place. Watch how he attacks the ball for their second goal. We had dealt with the initial corner and cleared it but it was recycled out to the corner and of course they had no Coker/O'Neil needless extra touches. Instead they whip it into the right area and at 2-0 it was as good as over.

The second half had a 30 minute period when they sat back and let us have the ball. You would of thought we were at home in one of those drab 0-0 L2 games. We huffed with out much puff and never looked like scoring, even when Ranger came on.

Lots of players not at their best including Barrett, Lenny and Woody. But one player in particular annoyed me was O'Neil. He was playing down my side second half and he hid. It didn't look that interested v Orient and yesterday he tucked in almost hiding behind his opposite number when we were in possession, instead of pulling wide and giving the mid-field an option.

A lot has been mentioned about formations already. No the team weren't as confused as some have claimed and No they weren't over running us down the middle. In fact they created very few chances from open play. They did score from 2 set pieces and if you can't defend them it doesn't mater what your formation is. We did actually mange a really good set piece in the second half but it was their 9 Andrew who got a good head on it. Which kind of sums up the difference in both teams

The 3rd goal was similar to Northampton's 4th. They broke why we were chasing a consolation. Oxley got ahan on it but it still went in. Felt sorry for Oxley as some will inevitably blame him but he made some good saves and handled some difficult crosses comfortably.

Haven't scored in 3 away now and if we ever want to, we just have to improve our final ball.

Nothing to do with five at the back, one up front and a wholly defensive mindset then?

Your free tickets from Phil really do give you a conflict of interest that you probably should declare.

Back