• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yes been in that stand loads of times, never understood why Phil and the supporters never had sunglasses, I used to when I sat there... otherwise it's squint and ship ahoy all the time. I like the middle of the West, I can see the both goals well... Toilets are disgusting in West, I was the only person who washed my hands too....as normal...nice....

Not true, I washed my hands as well, it was me drying my hands on your shirt.

Disappointing game for me, lack of chances created by both teams.

Also why was there no minute silence before the game as this was our last home game before remembrance day?

For me, I don't think we shouldn't be doing Remembrance Day in memoriams in October. It is unfortunate that we don't have a home match until 19th November but I personally don't think this early or that late is appropriate. Our players will be showing their respects, I have no doubt, at Bury.

I quite like the new system. For the most part it generally seems more positive and forward-moving. But something was missing yesterday and I guess it was Ranger. The system, to my mind, is geared around him - he works better with Cox than Fortuné does and is much more of a nuisance, pulling off defenders and making space for Cox and Wordsworth to make the most of. Without that yesterday we seemed as blunt in the final third as we have done all season. And that's what worries me. The new system with Ranger in it as a focal point is entirely commendable, but as always with Brown, where is the Plan B? It was quite obvious that Fortuné was not working in quite the same way as Ranger does (not really his fault, they are just different kettles of fish), and I'm not sure why something different wasn't tried in an attempt to break down a team who had clearly come to sit deep and get the point.

McLaughlin showed the potential for trying something a little different.....his goal was scored at a time when Fortuné was offering nothing in the middle and kept coming out to the channels and Cox was frustrated by a lack of service so had started dropping deep in search for the ball. He finds himself on the ball in the middle of the Shrewsbury half, there is nothing in front of him, and McLaughlin takes the brilliant decision to make a direct run beyond the deep-lying strikers and Cox picks him out with the pass. That's something I'd like to see us do more, utilise McLaughlin's pace to run beyond the strikers when they come deep to penetrate a stubborn defence. I thought it'd have been an idea to push Macca up as a 3rd striker and try to get a 2nd goal by similar means but it wasn't to be. The system is geared around Ranger and isn't fully functional without him so I just want to see a Plan B.

Having said that I think we'd have sneaked a narrow win if the players carried on in the 2nd half as they had done for much of the 1st. We were much the better team - positive, forward-moving and pressing higher up the pitch. Shrewsbury barely got a sniff and their goal was a brilliant strike which came out of absolutely nowhere. Despite the like-for-like change of Fortuné in for Ranger not really working, I think we'd have broken through if they carried on in the same way but unfortunately the intensity and purpose just completely dropped off in the 2nd half. We stopped getting in their faces and pressing high up the pitch, sat back and let them move it around a bit more, and went back to boring slow build-up and sideways/backwards passing. Such a shame. They showed they could play positively in the first half so why not keep it up and do it for a whole 90 minutes? Very frustrating.

Fortuné ran a lot but he played too far away from Cox and not centrally enough for a striker, he just kept coming into he channels and I don't think he has the pace or close ball control to be a nuisance out there. I loved seeing Wordsworth push in the first half and be noticeably further forward then Lenny and playing just behind the strikers, but without Ranger there pulling the opposition defence all over the shop Wordy didn't get the space.

Plenty to work on. But still better than it has been for quite some time.

He hasn't had a load of abuse, people are just saying it how it is. Williams isn't good enough.

Yes he scored goals at Chelmsford and that is about his level.

You can argue he doesn't get much game time, 5 mins isn't enough to show what you can do but actually it is. Getting in the right positions, making runs into he channels etc are just 2 of the things Williams doesn't do. He runs round like a little lost school boy and it isn't good enough. He needs to be released so he can find his level

Its a "funny old game" beloved for our different opinions. I deliberately set out to watch Williams closely in his cameos , especially against Gillingham, I thought he made space, ran quickly into channels, better than anyone else, called and pointed for the ball and each time the ball was passed sideways, when he created 8 yards of space, In the end his head dropped a bit.

Its a "funny old game" beloved for our different opinions. I deliberately set out to watch Williams closely in his cameos , especially against Gillingham, I thought he made space, ran quickly into channels, better than anyone else, called and pointed for the ball and each time the ball was passed sideways, when he created 8 yards of space, In the end his head dropped a bit.

I agree with you.

JW doesn't get any pitch time and when he does nobody sees his run....peculiar set up....JW should IMO get out ASAP and try his luck somewhere else.

It's all very well saying we should be beating the bottom side at home but for me it was one of those things on Saturday. They scored a belter and the new manager syndrome gave them the determination to defend for their lives and make things very scrappy. We are a poor to average side at this level (the league table does not lie after 16 games), and it is always going to be tough for us to pull back a win after that. A draw is a little disappointing, but not a disaster and it does keep our mini unbeaten run going.

It is all very well running into space but they have to be into positions where a player can realistically pass to him.

I cannot specifically recall the Gillingham game but whenever I have seen Williams play given the short time has on the pitch I would expect him to busting a gut but his movement and positional sense has been poor.

Against Shrewsbury his first touch was poor which resulted in a free kick.

As a product of our youth system I want him to succeed but unfortunately he does not seen to have any attributes (pace, control, or strength) that suggest he will.

It is all very well running into space but they have to be into positions where a player can realistically pass to him.

I cannot specifically recall the Gillingham game but whenever I have seen Williams play given the short time has on the pitch I would expect him to busting a gut but his movement and positional sense has been poor.

Against Shrewsbury his first touch was poor which resulted in a free kick.

As a product of our youth system I want him to succeed but unfortunately he does not seen to have any attributes (pace, control, or strength) that suggest he will.

He's 21 now and made his debut over two and a half years ago. It's not going to happen, I'm afraid.

The system, to my mind, is geared around him - he works better with Cox than Fortuné does and is much more of a nuisance, pulling off defenders and making space for Cox.

Well I can see why they'd find that distracting...

Not sure if this has already been said but, where was Sammy and Elvis on Saturday? I got in the ground early with my little one for her 2nd ever game (as it was a family day and she didn't really want to come) but we didn't see them once in or outside the ground and we was in the stadium fairly early as well.

She wasn't happy bless her, them and the Bluebelles are the only reason she wanted to come :sad:

Not sure if this has already been said but, where was Sammy and Elvis on Saturday? I got in the ground early with my little one for her 2nd ever game (as it was a family day and she didn't really want to come) but we didn't see them once in or outside the ground and we was in the stadium fairly early as well.

She wasn't happy bless her, them and the Bluebelles are the only reason she wanted to come :sad:

Weren't they retired as the costumes were disintegrating?

Weren't they retired as the costumes were disintegrating?

I have no idea, something seems odd though.

I've seen them at pretty much every match without fail for years and years and then when I actually need them their for my little one, on the family fun day they aren't around lol

They were at the Chesterfield game, didnt even notice they were not there on Saturday

What with Ranger out as well it was no wonder we couldn't break down a plucky shrews rearguard. Elvis' range of passing is second to none at this level while Sammy possesses the pace you need to get in behind.

Back