• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A strong performance in the first half, but we missed the Blue Nile. Shrewsbury were playing to impress their new manager, scored a world class goal and then decided at half time to park the bus on their goal line. Brown made a good move by putting two wingers on but they rarely received the ball. Fortune had a reasonable game but should have scored. Cox was strong again but missed Ranger's presence and skills.

First half was great, second half we looked tired and the lack of strikers on the bench meant we couldn't make the change that was needed up front. Still relatively happy with the performance, the defence especially hardly put a foot wrong, aside from their 2 wonder strikes Shrewsbury didn't have a sniff at goal. Ultimately our defence was costing us points earlier in the season but they look settled now so if we can work on the final ball we'll be fine.

Match report: Southend United 1, Shrewsbury Town 1

STEPHEN McLaughlin’s first half leveller secured Southend United a 1-1 draw with struggling Shrewsbury Town at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

We probably didn't deserve more that the one point we achieved today. No shortage of effort, no shortage of team spirit, no shortage of measured build up play, big shortage of Ranger. Fortune worked his nuts off the whole time he was on the pitch but he didn't have the scare factor that Nile seems to have. Never mind, it was actually great that with Ranger injured Fortune was fit and ready to go. Just as well with Mooney out with injury. Williams made an appearance for Fortune towards the end, he ran around a bit, but he does look as if pies are regularly featuring in his diet!!

Again, nobody had a bad game, in fact McLaughlin, Demetriou, Coker and Ferdinand all did their jobs extremely efficiently, but we just lacked a little bit of the cohesion into the opposition box which would have given us all three points.

Should we have had a penalty in the first half, I thought so, but maybe the South Standers on here will have a more definitive view. And for all you chums in the East, what was all that nonsense over by the line, should there have been a red card shown against the Shrews man?

Still, we came back from conceding a wonder goal, McLaughlin was my MoM and the beat goes on, as they say. Well done TBV by the way, great support the whole 90 mins.

Didn't think we played too badly, but not getting that penalty then a worldie from their CB knocked us back a little. Didn't play great in the 2nd half but Shrewsbury dug in and played a very dull 45 to take a point back with them. Could argue we should have done better in the 2nd half but it's tough when teams come with absolutely no intention of attacking and have a centre back bury one that I'm sure 99 times out of 100 is sailing over the south bank.

We were frustrating rather than awful today. We just seemed a bit lethargic, I wonder if he run of games has caught up with bodies and minds.
Fortune should have scored, they scored a stunner but there weren't loads of chances. No one stood out but I think fortune should spend more time within the width of the penalty area

for all you chums in the East, what was all that nonsense over by the line, should there have been a red card shown against the Shrews man?

Could have been a double red, something happened and Cox pushed and punched their guy who retaliated in the same way. Could have easily have been both teams down to 10 men.

Bearded Shrimper;[URL="tel:1911961" said:
1911961[/URL]]We were frustrating rather than awful today. We just seemed a bit lethargic, I wonder if he run of games has caught up with bodies and minds.
Fortune should have scored, they scored a stunner but there weren't loads of chances. No one stood out but I think fortune should spend more time within the width of the penalty area

Fortune....

Have you looked at his goal ratio/record in his career? Can't see him on the end of many, think he is 35 years old now too...

2002–2004Lille16(0)
2003–2004→ Rouen (loan)34(10)
2004–2005Stade Brest33(10)
2005–2007Utrecht53(11)
2007–2009AS Nancy71(12)
2009→ West Bromwich Albion (loan)17(5)
2009–2010Celtic32(10)
2010–2013West Bromwich Albion63(6)
2011→ Doncaster Rovers (loan)5(1)
2013–2015Wigan Athletic71(5)
2015–2016Coventry City24(4)
2016–Southend United

Similar view to RHB,

Thought we were the better side throughout except for a 3 min spell in the 1st. Shews seem to have clear instructions to shoot on sight, resulting in a superb strike putting them 1 up and if it were not for Oxley's right hand post would have been 2. Thought we came back well superb goal from McL and went on to dominate possession at times in the 2nd. Great workmanship from Coker, McL and Wordworth but the final delivery just didn't happen. Played OK throughout the team, Ferdinand seems to have us organised at the back again.

Didnt to see the pen shout clearly, although the ref appeared to give it then changed his mind after the linesman flagged??

TBV were excellent today :smile:

Just need to get Ranger back !!!

A lot of huff and puff, in the second half especially, without creating too much Fortune had a good chance though which was similar to Ranger at Bradford he just didn't get a proper connection on it.

Good goal from us, great ball from Cox inside the full back and good finish from Macca.

Unreal goal from them and they nearly did it again a couple of minutes later when they hit the post, apart from that they didn't do alot.

Point probably fair overall.

If we are that reliant on Ranger this season to make us tick then we are in trouble. That was up there with the Fleetwood game but somehow we got something out of today

First game since Rovers....blimey that goal by Shrews must be one of the top 10 I have seen at the Hall!

I thought Shrews looked OK ,where we laboured huffed and puffed .

Williams had 60 seconds....good work Phil

We never deserved to win,end of ,fact

Similar view to RHB,

Didnt to see the pen shout clearly, although the ref appeared to give it then changed his mind after the linesman flagged??

Was sat in East Blacks pretty much in line with the incident, and it looked like their player caught the back of Fortune's foot. How the linesman could see from where he was is beyond me.

If we are that reliant on Ranger this season to make us tick then we are in trouble. That was up there with the Fleetwood game but somehow we got something out of today

Today was nowhere near as bad as Fleetwood. Not saying it was great, we just lacked a cutting edge in the final third.

Was sat in East Blacks pretty much in line with the incident, and it looked like their player caught the back of Fortune's foot. How the linesman could see from where he was is beyond me.

I might be wrong but I thought the lino was flagging for offside, which would override the penalty claim.

Back