• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When I saw the pair of them, just last week, they had a nice little table for 2 and were happily chatting in a public area of a well known local haunt.
I hope that's true. If it is, you've got to wonder how and why such utter ******** becomes so widely spread when it's in nobody's best interests.

That, I'm afraid, is verboten. The FA gets a big fine when matches are played then European competition games are on. And they're on a lot. It was alright when there weren't champions league every week but then they decided to spread them out to make more money. And of course you can't have any competition for the tv attention

There are matches played in the same weeks as the Champions League, regularly, though. We played Oxford United on a Champions League night and will play Swindon Town, as well.

That said, I know UEFA don't like other televised matches kicking off at the same time as Champions League games, so it wouldn't surprise me if fines are in place for this sort of thing.

Whooaa!
I do not think AB should be in the first team at the moment...but he has played with pride, passion, guts and determination for Southend United. He deserves a great deal of respect.
Personally I wish he had retired in the Wembley dressing room. A fairytale.
Alas, real life means AB looks out for his family and continues...way past his prime.

That was a p*** take. Try reading some of mrsblue's posts.

I hope that's true. If it is, you've got to wonder how and why such utter ******** becomes so widely spread when it's in nobody's best interests.

Its true, I was meeting some one else at the same time. I didn't bother going over to say hello as I thought they might have more important things to do with their time.

You say nobody's interest but for some people on the zone its their absolute reason for living. They revel in failure and they are desperate to see it in anyone connected with the club such as RM, PB, or the latest signing.

Oh and i will not go. Ever again. To this trophy.
I can still complain about the trophy adding to the list of reasons football may soon find itself in a big fat mess.

No doubt your still giving sky plenty of money per month. Yet you slag supporters of your own team.

Fair enough Rigsby.
I wish we had AB for longer at his peak.
The game waits for no man! ; (

Don't we all. Last season was still a good one for him despite some of the back stabbers on here said. He has contributed in others areas off the pitch and he still does have something to offer.

No doubt your still giving sky plenty of money per month. Yet you slag supporters of your own team.

I am not slagging ANYBODY - I am definitely slagging this meaningless tournament.
Look at the facts. The Premier League has 20 teams and 38 matches per team. Why? To maintain quality over quantity.
The lower leagues play 8 more league games, 2 FA Cup games before Prem & Championship clubs enter the draw and 1 more League Cup game before the elite enter.
So to play a tournament that ensures even more games, while virtually nobody in the entire world cares who wins a game or even the trophy??
IMO it is ridiculous!

So to play a tournament that ensures even more games, while virtually nobody in the entire world cares who wins a game or even the trophy??
IMO it is ridiculous!

I understand what you are saying and have some sympathy with it but, hey, we're not a Premier League team and we have a chance to progress in a competition which will become less ridiculous once it gets beyond this introductory stage. Did you share the same opinion about the JPT Trophy? Granted that didn't involve these stupid B teams, but it gave us the opportunity to enjoy two big days out at the Millennium Stadium (but not the results!).

I am not slagging ANYBODY - I am definitely slagging this meaningless tournament.
Look at the facts. The Premier League has 20 teams and 38 matches per team. Why? To maintain quality over quantity.
The lower leagues play 8 more league games, 2 FA Cup games before Prem & Championship clubs enter the draw and 1 more League Cup game before the elite enter.
IMO it is ridiculous!

So the rules need changing. We may not be able to plat Ted Smith because the restrictions mean resting out field players will get priority.

Other than their own fans nobody in the entire world cares about any lower league team in cup competitions. This one has made us money, enough to finance a promotion back to L1. How in the world is that a bad thing.

How anyone can slag this competition off is beyond me. Its given me some of the best moments of supporting Southend over the years.

Beating QPR 4-0 when we were near the bottom of league two and they were running away with League one. Beating Colchester at Layer Road on penalties, beating Colchester over two legs in the area final. Going to Cardiff for the first time.

Beating Orient in the last minute, going to Wembley for the first time.

These are the ones that spring to mind without even thinking about it.

Beating Brighton under 23's

Yes the current format is a bit pants, but its a competition we can do well in, its a competition we can win (or lose 2-0 in the final).

Why only hanker about playing Chelsea, Arsenal or Man Utd in the FA Cup which has only happend once in 110 years.

No point in playing them in the League cup these days as that is there reserve teams.

We are Southend United for gods sake, we are only ever ever going to :

1- Win League two
2- Win League one
3- Win the EFL Trophy

Nothing else ever. Why boycott one of the 3 things we stand a chance of winning.

Yes I did feel exactly the same way about the JPT. I did not kid myself. It is a trophy for "the losers in football life".
I guess when it was introduced it was to give the "poor saddo's" a day out at Wembley. Now every single club in the Football League has an opportunity to play at Wembley in a real game - The play-Off Final.
I was not living in Southend when we played the two Millenium Finals and so had first hand experience of how nobody else on planet Earth knew there was a game in Cardiff that day...let alone care.
It is a patronising tournament. Not made any better or worse by Prem U 21 teams entering. I have no view on that because it is such a worthless tournament.
Being in the bottom two leagues..is exactly that. Each club works hard and hopes to play at a higher level. This tournament implies that "you poor, sad gits" - you need a way to a final that does not involve playing anyone much better than you. So no achievement.
Tell AFC Bournemouth or AFC Wimbledon that the only way to achieve is to be patronised!

Its your choice to boycott but remember this is the cup that financed both promotions under Tilly and the last one under PB. Who knows it may well be the reason we haven't ended up doing a 'Stockport'

Ex-Treasurer Bloke.
The day I feel the only way Southend United can achieve anything of note is to avoid playing anybody decent? Is the day I give up supporting Southend United.
I still believe.

The first LDV final really helped raise our profile within the town. Our average home league crowds went up by around 500 straight away after that final. The build up to the day/weekend out was brilliant and to see so many Southend fans in Cardiff was some sight. Pity about the result!

Its strange but even if we got to the EFL Trophy and League 1 play off final this season we would probably have more fans at Wembley for the EFL Trophy than the play off final.

Hoping to finish top, have a nice home draw against a biggish Southern league 1/2 team who are also out of the FA Cup. Then we can play the next round on FA Cup Rd 2 Saturday. It will help me and others to go to boost the attendance.

Hoping to finish top, have a nice home draw against a biggish Southern league 1/2 team who are also out of the FA Cup. Then we can play the next round on FA Cup Rd 2 Saturday. It will help me and others to go to boost the attendance.

Yes, I'm hoping for this too!!!

pi7rnpkdT.jpg

So the rules need changing. We may not be able to plat Ted Smith because the restrictions mean resting out field players will get priority.

Other than their own fans nobody in the entire world cares about any lower league team in cup competitions. This one has made us money, enough to finance a promotion back to L1. How in the world is that a bad thing.

Thought I heard Oxley won't play tonight anyway due to a back injury?

Back