• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mobile Phone Usage in cars - Report or not report?

Mobile Phone Usage in cars - Report or not report?

• Yes, I would report a driver using a mobile phone

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • No, I wouldn't report a driver using a mobile phome

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
It seems that various police forces around the country are upping their game when it comes to nabbing drivers using their mobile phones whilst driving. It is also being suggested that other members of the driving public should report vehicles that they see using phones.

For what it's worth, Thames Valley Police state that:

• Research shows that all phone calls – using any type of mobile - distract you from driving.
  • Reaction times for drivers using a handheld phone are 30 per cent worse than for driving under the influence of alcohol at the legal limit.
  • You are also four times more likely to crash if you use a mobile phone while driving.

Assuming the mechanics of reporting can be safely and easily achieved, would you or wouldn't you report a mobile user driving in their vehicle?

Nobody likes a grass.

That said as a regular cyclist I have no desire to end up under the wheels of a car so I guess I would.

Seems like a waste of everyone's time, me reporting someone on their phone isn't conclusive evidence so they wouldn't be able to do anything about it. If the police want to stop drivers using their phones they need to patrol more and make it an instant driving ban, it's not like you can accidentally be using your phone so I don't understand the leniency.

Seems like a waste of everyone's time, me reporting someone on their phone isn't conclusive evidence so they wouldn't be able to do anything about it. If the police want to stop drivers using their phones they need to patrol more and make it an instant driving ban, it's not like you can accidentally be using your phone so I don't understand the leniency.

And that is what they intend/are doing it seems, using unmarked cars and lorries including artics. I agree that it may be an issue proving a public report, but not impossible if Officialdom really wants this to happen. The stumbling block for me is the lack of police resource to do this efficiently in the first place.

What if you use your phone whilst driving to report another driver using his phone

1. Essex Police ‏@EssexPoliceUK 6h6 hours ago
  2. 19 drivers reported in #Southend yesterday during first day of @PoliceChiefs national enforcement week #noexcuse http://goo.gl/rb3s5I pic.twitter.com/oTsPemyOMW
  3. CxS1hLRXAAANTYk.jpg

I don't see how you get it to stand up in court - one person's word against another's. If a driver provides photographic evidence then what chance they've not also broken the law to provide proof?!!!

It drives me mad but what opportunity do I have to actually provide proof?

I don't see how you get it to stand up in court - one person's word against another's. If a driver provides photographic evidence then what chance they've not also broken the law to provide proof?!!!

Yep totally agree. But I suppose the person doing the reporting can be a pedestrian or passenger in another car who then takes clear photographic evidence. But even then I cant see too many of these going to court, more than likely just get sent a warning letter.
I see from the tweet that 19 drivers reported by people already, it will be interesting to see how many end up with convictions.

What if the matter is' settled out of court'?

Also, what about taxi drivers that sit on a rank or elsewhere and can get jobs come through on their phone? This is where I have an issue with the whole thing anyway - if you're not travelling, your car is sat probably with the engine running (unless you have one of the newer models that cuts out if stationary), your handbrake is on yet, you might be stuck in a traffic jam or in the habitual queue for Dartford Tunnel - in short you're going nowhere. Should it really be illegal to pick your phone up and send a quick text letting your boss/your company/your other half/your parents (as appropriate) know that you've been delayed? Plenty of cab drivers sit on a rank watching their mobiles while waiting for jobs, are "waiting" ranks part of this?

There are going to be loads of genuine exceptions, I get that, but surely no one can defend the totally selfish kamikazi jockeys that we have all seen driving at high speeds on A roads, or that breed of person round town that insists on manoeuvring around corners with the mobile wedged against the ear.

Absolutely RHB, but these buggers are the ones who get away with it time and time again. I could sit in my office and film the number of people I see negotiating a tricky corner with a phone clamped to their ear without any bother at all - regularly 4 or 5 a day.

"Should it really be illegal to pick your phone up and send a quick text letting your boss/your company/your other half/your parents (as appropriate) know that you've been delayed?"

...and here is the "grey area". If "I'm stuck in traffic and a two hour delay is on the Matrix boards" text is legal, is "I'm stuck at road works, might be 5 minutes late" OK? Where do you draw the line? I agree that a taxi rank should be exempt providing the taxi is stationary (which it would be, assume).

"Snitches get stitches" - maybe, but they don't kill people on the roads by their actions.

Christ, how did people survive 20 years ago without texting people that they're going to be home late for their tea?

Oh that's right, they were just late for their tea. :facepalm:

Christ, how did people survive 20 years ago without texting people that they're going to be home late for their tea?

Oh that's right, they were just late for their tea. :facepalm:

And having been on the other end of that, expecting your other half home and hearing nothing for 4 hours, I can tell you it's not very pleasant!

Back