• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

National Heath Service

Another Surrey Shrimper

Life President
The British Red Cross have been deployed to 100+ hospitals to assist with day to day tasks that the NHS can't cope with.

They have called this a 'humanitarian crisis' and have said 'we call on the UK government to allocate immediate funding to stabilise the current system and set out plans towards creating a sustainable settlement for the future'.

The Red Cross called in to assist our hospitals.

Lot's of threads started on here by the outraged - I'm curious - is this news just not common knowledge?

Sunday front pages:

The Sun: Brit man is 4 months pregnant

The Telegraph: May: Now its the shared society, not the Big Society (and nice pic of her looking serene and majestic)

The Mail: Israel plot to take down Tory minister

The Times: May's Brexit rebel secretly met Cameron

The Guardian: Humanitarian crisis in NHS says Red Cross

The Observer: May urged to get a grip on NHS as winter crisis spirals

When we talk about what is great about Britain the NHS is often mentioned. But when it is faced with alarming new lows you will only be aware of it if you read certain newspapers.

No comment from May, no comment from Hunt. Corbyn has called on May to face Parliament on Monday to answer questions on this crisis - if she refuses then we may hear nothing until PMQs on Wednesday. Hunt called for a 7 day a week NHS (despite that already existing) yet he won't answer questions on the NHS at the weekend. Lucky for him that the Red Cross are on hand to keep things running in the meantime.

The British Red Cross have been deployed to 100+ hospitals to assist with day to day tasks that the NHS can't cope with.

They have called this a 'humanitarian crisis' and have said 'we call on the UK government to allocate immediate funding to stabilise the current system and set out plans towards creating a sustainable settlement for the future'.

Lot's of threads started on here by the outraged - I'm curious - is this news just not common knowledge?

Of course it is, we all know that £200 billion per year is a huge amount to pump into the NHS.

Today being a Sunday every A&E department will be swamped with time wasters who can't be arsed to wait for their GP tomorrow. If charging 5p for a plastic bag has reduced the demand by 90%, then what would a £10 charge do at A&E for those that don't actually need the service.

Of course it is, we all know that £200 billion per year is a huge amount to pump into the NHS.

Today being a Sunday every A&E department will be swamped with time wasters who can't be arsed to wait for their GP tomorrow. If charging 5p for a plastic bag has reduced the demand by 90%, then what would a £10 charge do at A&E for those that don't actually need the service.
the thing for me is that the government are responsible for running the NHS to meet the needs of those that use it.
It's not a surprise to anyone that technological improvements increase costs, or that an aging population increases costs or that in winter more people are ill.
The government know these things as we all do - and they are responsible for mitigating them and making sure the service is adequate at the very least. If the Red Cross declare a humanitarian crisis in the U.K. and have to step in - that is a very loud alarm bell.

If the government feel they need to charge at point of use then they should state that at a general election. They have been voted in on a mandate of NHS being free at point of use - they need to be able to do that without using the Red Cross as back up. May and Hunt need to get this fixed right now.

This of course is part of UkIP's (not so hidden) agenda to privatise the NHS..It won't happen though.

One intelligent solution would be to throw money at Old People's homes and provide proper care for the elderly at home,for as long as possible, so they don't block up beds in the NHS just because there's no adequate place for them to go once their NHS treatment has finished.

This of course is part of UkIP's (not so hidden) agenda to privatise the NHS..It won't happen though.

One intelligent solution would be to throw money at Old People's homes and provide proper care for the elderly at home,for as long as possible, so they don't block up beds in the NHS just because there's no adequate place for them to go once their NHS treatment has finished.

Yes 100% agree. Best way to raise that money would be to clamp down on all the time wasters who use the NHS f as a hangover service. The London Fire brigade used to attend calls for people locked out. We ended up having the same regular customers. One of them called us out one Friday night and said to me he had left his coat down the pub and didn't want to have to walk all the way back to get it. Another women didn't want to disturb her husband who had a key and was working about 3 streets away.

We started charging £150 for a call out for that kind of service and guess what....Suddenly people found their legs.

Yes 100% agree. Best way to raise that money would be to clamp down on all the time wasters who use the NHS f as a hangover service. The London Fire brigade used to attend calls for people locked out. We ended up having the same regular customers. One of them called us out one Friday night and said to me he had left his coat down the pub and didn't want to have to walk all the way back to get it. Another women didn't want to disturb her husband who had a key and was working about 3 streets away.

We started charging £150 for a call out for that kind of service and guess what....Suddenly people found their legs.

Good.

(As someone who once left his keys in a flat in San Sebastian (the same weekend my flatmate moved out) and had to call the firebrigade out to get me back in, after a weekend in France back in the 80's, I find the FB's 150 quid solution a bit drastic.Suffice it to say I've never gone out of the house without my keys since).

Good.

(As someone who once left his keys in a flat in San Sebastian (the same weekend my flatmate moved out) and had to call the firebrigade out to get me back in, after a weekend in France back in the 80's, I find the FB's 150 quid solution a bit drastic.Suffice it to say I've never gone out of the house without my keys since).

You could have called a locksmith of course as it was not an EMERGENCY.

A fire appliance rides a minimum of 4 people so £150 per hour was good value. It was the same fee for other services like pump out a commercial property. But more to the point with Fire cover being dangerously reduced the last thing we needed was to be wasting time on some drunk, when there's a fire in someone's house.

Not one to be blinded by rules I did of course had ways of losing paperwork for deserving cases.

Last edited:

Well for a start the country has too many people I would imagine,how many new hospitals have been created in the past say 20 years?

Overcrowding cannot be ignored,plus add Riggers time wasters thing it all adds up to a hornets nest.

Well for a start the country has too many people I would imagine,how many new hospitals have been created in the past say 20 years?

Overcrowding cannot be ignored,plus add Riggers time wasters thing it all adds up to a hornets nest.

Hold on, don't you work for the NHS? Surely you have an inside view of the situation. Spill the beans.

Hold on, don't you work for the NHS? Surely you have an inside view of the situation. Spill the beans.

No problem

As Riggers alluded too the time wasters are an incredible drain on services.
Foreigners demand yes demand certain measures which take up time and cost money.
Far too many highly paid managers.
Agency staff are so damn expensive it's become a running joke.

No problem

As Riggers alluded too the time wasters are an incredible drain on services.
Foreigners demand yes demand certain measures which take up time and cost money.
Far too many highly paid managers.
Agency staff are so damn expensive it's become a running joke.

Foreigners demand what exactly? Don't leave me hanging. I get the agency staff and overpaid managers and time wasters but what demands are being made.

Foreigners demand what exactly? Don't leave me hanging. I get the agency staff and overpaid managers and time wasters but what demands are being made.

They demand cesarian on every birth.
We need translators most of the time.
They are incredible time wasters.
They also sue trusts willy nilly because they know they can get away with it

Does that sound racist?oh well you asked me and I told you.

Oh and another thing the early retirement scandal.p

Managers get weighed out their pension and we are talking 100k plus in cash plus their monthly amount and then become re employed at the same trust with virtually the same job with the same salary!

Not what you know it's who you know.

I'm curious - is this news just not common knowledge?

Is it even news? The story is almost two years old.

http://www.redcross.org.uk/About-us...ss-schemes-to-help-ease-pressure-on-hospitals

Of course it's a complete coincidence that this "story" has hit the headlines (well, some of them) just after The British Red Cross appointed a former Guardian editor as its Media Director.

http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/former...oins-red-cross/communications/article/1419991

Oh, and incidentally, I could save the NHS at least £46,625 p.a. at the stoke of a pen.

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/vacancy/0bb92713fc0a705675ae45b9d15499f2/?vac_ref=914468963

Labour playing the NHS card, now why does that sound familiar?

View attachment 4460

yes it's news - 2015 planned, pre-arranged, agreed partnership. 2017 - emergency support. In 2015 the British Red Cross didn't declare a humanitarian crisis in the UK, in 2017 they have.

This is information that came from the Red Cross not the Labour Party. Do you really think the main opposition party should keep quiet on such things?

This is the crux of the problem across many sectors at the moment.
Far too many people being paid far too much money for things that really shouldn't need their own separate "manager".

Exactly OBL,it's called jobs for the boys and girls.

One CEO was forced to resign with all the trimmings yet the trust "invented" another "sideways" role for her on the same salary circa £250,000.

Back