• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

wally4pm

Old Timer
Sky Sports have an article on which fans are the longest suffering over the last 50 years. It is an article relating to the Wembley Naff Daf, **** Poor Paint Pot, Chuck It Out or whatever it is now called match Coventry v Oxford on Sunday and refers to the long suffering Coventry fans. However, Southend get a special mention, which I have cut and pasted below. As we all know there is never a dull moment following the Shrimpers!

However, Southend fans have experienced a roller-coaster period of promotion elation and relegation heartache, hopping leagues on 17 occasions during the period - that's pain or glory every three years on average.

Sky Sports have an article on which fans are the longest suffering over the last 50 years. It is an article relating to the Wembley Naff Daf, **** Poor Paint Pot, Chuck It Out or whatever it is now called match Coventry v Oxford on Sunday and refers to the long suffering Coventry fans. However, Southend get a special mention, which I have cut and pasted below. As we all know there is never a dull moment following the Shrimpers!

However, Southend fans have experienced a roller-coaster period of promotion elation and relegation heartache, hopping leagues on 17 occasions during the period - that's pain or glory every three years on average.

Much better have pain and glory every 3 years that mid table mediocrity I say !

. It is an article relating to the Wembley Naff Daf, **** Poor Paint Pot, Chuck It Out or whatever it is now called match Coventry v Oxford on Sunday

70,000 they reckon will be there on Sunday! :omg::cool:

Much better have pain and glory every 3 years that mid table mediocrity I say !

True, without checking I believe Oldham have been in our division for about 20 years.. They did have some fabulous seasons before that but must seem very dull as you go to renew your Latics season card.

Us? dull?
We have been to Wembley .
We have been Cardiff 3 times.
We have won promotion as Champions and as also runs/play offs.
We have had extended unsuccessful play off seasons.
We have had great players and entertainers.
We have stuffed Manure!
How is that, in any way dull?

What it is is, poor, uneducated journo babble.

Us? dull?
We have been to Wembley .
We have been Cardiff 3 times.
We have won promotion as Champions and as also runs/play offs.
We have had extended unsuccessful play off seasons.
We have had great players and entertainers.
We have stuffed Manure!
How is that, in any way dull?

What it is is, poor, uneducated journo babble.

It didn't say we were dull the phrase was "that's pain or glory every three years on average."

That is a pretty unbelievable stat. Imagine watching them for that long and not seeing one promotion!

I was wrong

Whilst the article says Rochdale were relegated in 1966 they were not, they were promoted from 4-3 in 1969 then relegated Back in 73-74,

Still 2 promotions and two relegations in their league history (since 1921) isn't a lot to cheer about

that can't possibly be true

I've read on here countless times that this is a joke of a competition, that no one cares about and he final will be between two U23 teams ! Why would .70,000 turn up for that !

Last edited:
Long suffering?
Yes if you consider SUFC is one of a few 'established' FL clubs never to have a played in the top division

Long suffering?
Yes if you consider SUFC is one of a few 'established' FL clubs never to have a played in the top division

Of the 22
founding members of Div 3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1920–21_Football_League

4 are currently prem
5 championship
5 league 1
7 league 2
1 bust

With just 7 never having played top flight , Methyr, Bristol Rvrs , Plymouth, Newport, Exeter, Gillingham and us

according to this , 64 teams have ever played in the top fight (up to 2013)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/datablog/2013/apr/17/football-league-125-years

Probably nearly 80,000 so much for the boycott!
Just shows you what sort of crowd we would have had, if we had played Coventry rather than Crewe in the JPT final a couple of seasons ago.

Great tables, those.

Bradford Park Avenue in the 1st Division.

Whilst in the 2nd Division :-

Clapton Orient
South Shields :omg:
The Wednesday
Rotherham County

Yes.. great tables...

and Leyton Orient in the 1st Division ! in the 60's... Good grief.

that can't possibly be true

I've read on here countless times that this is a joke of a copetition, that no one cares about and he final will be between two U23 teams ! Why would .70,000 turn up for that !

Coventry have sold 45,000!. Guess most of their 'sleeping fans' would like a day out to Wembley?. Doubt they've got anything to look forward to in the forthcoming months?.

Back