• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Massimo Giovanni

Old Timer⭐⭐
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39874533

Accers Chairman has a valid point AND the response is both true (in financial support terms) and bullying.

FWIW I don't have anything to do with Prem anymore; I won't go to their games, watch MofD, Sky etc as all that they are doing is enriching the top and giving crumbs to the "rabble".

I think its fantastic what he said, I am so disillusioned with Premier League Football, Ive always brought it and have the Full Package on Sky etc, but a while back, I made a fuss at home to the 'ole Lady' that more sports is being shown on BT Sports etc, and I got the hump when Id get home to watch a match then couldn't find it.

She very kindly brough tme BT Sports, well, it was the night of Liverpool v Chelsea, so she said, I'm going upstairs for a bath, You chill out and watch your match etc....

well 10 minutes in, I just thought (that reality Moment) why am I watching this ****, I don't know who the players are, I cant stand this non contact stuff, the camera was miles away , it just hit home, I had nothing in common with this Game I am watching on telly,

So I went channel Hopping, and found Brentford v Aston Villa from Griffin Park with DB in goal, I loved it, excellent quality of football, cameras close to the fans, one of your own playing in the match... It was a 'No Brainer' I'm not sure I've even bothered watching another premier league game since that point

I would love for us to get into the Championship, that's a great standard of British Football, the stadiums are great, you are watching football with Genuinely passionate fans. We are lucky we support our Local Football team, we are lucky Our Egos don't drive us to support Instant Success, Long Live Accrington Stanley and all the other clubs that have to work on a Shoe String

Presume you'll continue with this self imposed ban should Southend ever make it to the Premier League?
I have seats in company box at Goodison available for whenever but won't go, however it does get tempting some times.
IF SUFC ever made it to the Prem then that would indicate the status quo HAD changed wouldn't it as no normally funded club can make the rise now?

I've not watched a single Premier League game this season. To be honest, the Euros last summer destroyed my love for the sport beyond Southend United and I'm not sure where, when or how it will come back.

That said, guys like this joker at Accrington need to take responsibility for their own actions and their own situations instead of begging for handouts. The Premier League is awash with money because a billion people around the World want to watch it. No neutral is paying a huge subscription to watch Accrington Stanley or Southend United. Lower league clubs should cut their cloth accordingly or find new ways to increase their income, like the rest of us have to do. Manchester United and Chelsea do not owe smaller clubs a living.

I personally have no interest whatsoever in the Premiershi*. I have been a dyed in the wool, silver backed, cloth capped lower league supporter all my life and will continue to be so. Championship football would be fantastic for our Club and I look forward to that day coming in the very near future. Just don't leave it too long Blues, my time is running out. On that cheerful note I will say COYBB

I've not watched a single Premier League game this season. To be honest, the Euros last summer destroyed my love for the sport beyond Southend United and I'm not sure where, when or how it will come back.

That said, guys like this joker at Accrington need to take responsibility for their own actions and their own situations instead of begging for handouts. The Premier League is awash with money because a billion people around the World want to watch it. No neutral is paying a huge subscription to watch Accrington Stanley or Southend United. Lower league clubs should cut their cloth accordingly or find new ways to increase their income, like the rest of us have to do. Manchester United and Chelsea do not owe smaller clubs a living.

That is a fair point... however, the whole football pyramid in this country is what keeps the clubs like Man Utd and Chelsea at the very top. Sooner or later, the money from the Far East is going to top the Prem wages and players will go in that direction. Maybe not in their prime, but certainly after they start on the downward path.

Further, there is far too much of a diversity in rewards between the Prem and the football league. It is now likely that a club like Huddersfield for instance, should they win the play offs, will pocket the money and not try and get quality in, meaning almost certain relegation. They would effectively not be able to compete for that season but it will guarantee rewards for 3-4 further seasons with the Prize money and parachute payments. Middlesbrough did the same this season. They thought they could stay there by shutting up shop and keeping sides out. They've only scored something like 26 goals this season.

Where's the entertainment value to the fans? The ones who pay out thousands over a season in tickets and travel costs to follow their beloved club at the top level?

Whilst according to some reports, "football has never been in better financial shape", we are seeing some awful mismanagement absolutely destroying clubs.

Orient, Blackburn, Nottm Forest, Coventry and Blackpool are fairly high profile examples. I'm not sure that fans at QPR, Aston Villa, Leeds, Bolton, Charlton and Morecambe are over enamored with their situation either. All of these clubs are in peril.

The thing is - and while, as you say, Man U and Chelsea don't owe anyone a living - they do need somewhere for their youngsters to ply their trade and come through the ranks.

If you take away the lower leagues, they are the elite of nothing. The Prem would be a one division league. Professionally, no-one else could compete.

Now it may be that instead of having almost 5 professional divisions (most National League sides are now professional), maybe the sport in this country can only support 3. But that's a separate issue. I believe that within the current set up, the Prem does have a duty to assist in maintaining the lower leagues properly so that they can compete to a better standard, which will actually help the premiership clubs squad players keep fit and get match experience.

As I say, without the football league, The Prem is nothing.

Like others, I too have been turned off the Prem and whilst I'm happy to watch a match if it's on, I don't ever turn on for it. I'm now a Southend fan rather than a football fan, and it seems I'm not alone in that.

But the problems you identify are not resolved by the Premier League writing a larger cheque. I wouldn't trust the owners of any of the clubs that you mention to make good use of extra money - they'd probably **** it away on a new striker or put it in their own back pocket. The Premier League does financially support the other clubs and will continue to do so going forward .

I'm also not sure I buy any more the idea that the 20 couldn't exist without the other 72. I think they could and indeed would and whilst the response to Accrington was far from tactful if I was an owner of a lower league side I'd be careful not to poke the bear too much. I'm sure the owners of the likes of West Ham, Sunderland, Newcastle and other big clubs who every few years get relegated look enviously at sporting competitions such as the IPL and NFL where relegation doesn't happen and where they know that they are guaranteed the benefits of that cash every single year.

Further to what has already been said. I always struggle to relate to and sometimes feel sorry for the prem team fans that I know who don't go to games and sometimes only watch the odd game on tele. They always have some excuse but still claim to be die hards. It might just be me but I love supporting my local team, feeling a real connection, genuinely going through so many emotions through out the season etc. Actually seeing the players, having them happy to have a chat with you, a picture, the list goes on. I sometimes feel that SOME prem fans will never experience that.

I genuinely prefer watching the championship/goal rush highlights now rather than MOTD which I have always loved.

I seem to recall a quote from Peter Kenyon many years ago, which went something like, we don't want to give any more money to the football league as they would only waste it. That was at a time when Winston Bogarde was picking up £40k for doing nothing at Chelsea.

I suppose it is all a matter of perspective as to whether you think spending is a waste or good value for money.

However, I just don't see the need for clubs to pay agents. It also smacks of third party ownership if say Pogba's agent got the reported £41m for his move to Man U.

If a club bids for a player and the bid is accepted, and the players wants to move to the bidding club, the only payment that should be made is the transfer fee. There seems no need to pay the agent anything as he has done no work to justify the fee.

In Chalkwell Park this evening there were a few "soccer school" type things going on in groups and a lot of the problem was on show there in the form of Spurs, Chelski, Spam shirts, not a single SUFC replica kit on the kids.
Rubbish parenting, TV spectator-ship, glory chasing the "winners" etc.
I bet the situation is repeated in Accrington 10X with Manure, Livers or Manc shirts only to be seen.
Our club, and Junior Blues, IMO; do a great job at trying to get the kids/schools involved BUT it can not be just down to them.

Swansea, Burnley, Middlesbrough, Norwich, Reading, Crystal Palace but sure.

I have seats in company box at Goodison available for whenever but won't go, however it does get tempting some times.
IF SUFC ever made it to the Prem then that would indicate the status quo HAD changed wouldn't it as no normally funded club can make the rise now?

Accrington Stanley is a business as well as a football club.
The fact that they have an average attendance of 1,699 is not the fault of more successful club's in the Premiership. Yet The Prem has contributed £770,000 to Stanley. Mr Holt has the audacity to complain about competitors giving his business possibly more money than his club turns over in other revenues??
Football has lost the plot regarding money - and that is true from the top (which earns the dough) to the smallest league club who thinks £770,000 for absolutely nothing - is not enough.
Remarkable!

I like how he complains then admits that if they would remove their support it would shut him down. So on that statement they are keeping him afloat.

Dont bite the hand that feeds your springs to mind.

I'm sure if his tin pot club get more than 43 fans attending away matches they wouldwarrant bigger incomes.

I seem to recall a quote from Peter Kenyon many years ago, which went something like, we don't want to give any more money to the football league as they would only waste it. That was at a time when Winston Bogarde was picking up £40k for doing nothing at Chelsea.

I suppose it is all a matter of perspective as to whether you think spending is a waste or good value for money.

However, I just don't see the need for clubs to pay agents. It also smacks of third party ownership if say Pogba's agent got the reported £41m for his move to Man U.

If a club bids for a player and the bid is accepted, and the players wants to move to the bidding club, the only payment that should be made is the transfer fee. There seems no need to pay the agent anything as he has done no work to justify the fee.

They still have to negotiate the contract, which to the player is the actual important part. Not that Im defending them, do more harm than good.

I can't lie, I have all the packages. I'm actually watching BT now. I'm Southend , through and through, always have always will be, but I won't lie, I love football, I have since I was a lad. Do I agree with it, no, but hey I don't agree with a lot of things that go on in this world.

Accers had a talent in young Windass but he saw out his contract and went to Rangers for nothing; in past years he would have been a few hundred K £s. Deals of that nature, and the better ones of the MK Dons Alli to Spurs, are getting rarer and cutting revenue streams trickling down too.
We might get a pay day with Nile; might!

Accers had a talent in young Windass but he saw out his contract and went to Rangers for nothing; in past years he would have been a few hundred K £s. Deals of that nature, and the better ones of the MK Dons Alli to Spurs, are getting rarer and cutting revenue streams trickling down too.
We might get a pay day with Nile; might!

They got nothing because he left the country , like when we were worried if Bentley went to Celtic. From my understanding we've done well out of both Payne and Bentley. You can't stop young players eyeing up better moves. Also, this was all caused by Bosman not the Premier League

At my sons football ( where there is a good array of SUfc it must be said ) I've started seeing people now turning up in Manchester City kits , now I'll tell you right now, these people in their big 4x 4's are no manc's...

They got nothing because he left the country , like when we were worried if Bentley went to Celtic. From my understanding we've done well out of both Payne and Bentley. You can't stop young players eyeing up better moves. Also, this was all caused by Bosman not the Premier League

We did ok out of Hooper when he went "international" by going to Celtic!

Back