• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What a massive statement of intent this would be. I wouldn't even hesitate to offer him a 3 year deal as, if it comes to the point he has lost all his pace, he could be used as a Chris Eagles type player. Only need to think back to the Port Vale where he dominated in the number 10 position.

Had absolutely no belief that we would get this done, if we do it is a superb signing.

Same, I think my comment was 'if something is to good to be true". Advanced talks! This would be massive for the club!

Same, I think my comment was 'if something is to good to be true". Advanced talks! This would be massive for the club!
What classes as advance talks? How much of a contract has been agreed at this stage? Does a player only enter this stage if they really want to join?

This really would be a huge signing for our football club. Class player . The last time he played for us led to arguably the most successful 2 years in our football clubs history.
Go on Ron , make it happen again :thumbsup:

When are they coming back ?
I guess this must be close to happening , because if ( as I think ? ) they are back soon , he could have waited to continue talking here .......

What classes as advance talks? How much of a contract has been agreed at this stage? Does a player only enter this stage if they really want to join?

That he has agreed to join and it's a case of dotting I's and crossing the T's. I believe he is in Spain or on his way!

What a quality bit of business

That he has agreed to join and it's a case of dotting I's and crossing the T's. I believe he is in Spain or on his way!

What a quality bit of business
Will Atkinson must look at this and feel like MK is the guy the missus tells you not to worry about... :Worthy:

I love the fact that people actually think that Kightly might come here. Don't get me wrong, he'd be a great signing for us, but there are Championship clubs after him, he's not coming here.

My big worry with this deal is the length or it 2 or 3 years.
The finances (ie) 3k + pw in addition to the money for ferdinand Cox turner who will be on high wages.

The biggest concern is his fitness which is questionable. So many injuries have blighted his career and coming to the end of his career they will have taken there toll.

Burton fans were quick to praise match winning performances but highlight the fact that he was unable to last the full 90 in matches.

It's a hell of an outlay for a luxury.

All of that said I can't wait to see him tear teams a new arsehole next season.

Burton fans were quick to praise match winning performances but highlight the fact that he was unable to last the full 90 in

He didn't play a lot last year before arriving at Burton. I'd be confident that with enough of a pre-season behind him and regular football he'd be fine.

With regards to the Championship clubs interest, there were Championship clubs in for Cox who don't forget didn't even have the local roots Kightly does. Kightly will be a millionaire from football, I would expect he could accept a slightly less weekly wage from us to play at the top of the division below as opposed to the bottom of the division above. If he comes, I would expect him to be on an equal wage to Cox, probably not a great deal less than a Championship squad player.

Fair play to the club if they do pull it off, would be a real coup and a tremendous upgrade on Atkinson.

I think advanced means its real and both parties are serious. Of course much can go wrong including other clubs upping offers, new offers etc. Fingers crossed.

Risk comes with ambition- and I feel the clubs approach is spot on- used the budget on a small group of quality players and trust that the younger players can step up to the mark when needed, maybe with a cheaper gamble or two such as Zak Ansah that could just turn out to be inspired.

Surely the younger players will benefit from being around experience ex Prem players..for example young Matsuzuka training with and being around Anton and Michael Turner

If he and Turner signs, we will have ex premier league players in MAF, Cox, Ferdinand, Turner and Kightly... Have we ever had that amount of Prem talent in our side ever?

(Didn't include Hendrie because he never actually played for WHU)

If he and Turner signs, we will have ex premier league players in MAF, Cox, Ferdinand, Turner and Kightly... Have we ever had that amount of Prem talent in our side ever?

I would never class Wet Spam as a premiership team anyway:smile:

I think advanced means its real and both parties are serious. Of course much can go wrong including other clubs upping offers, new offers etc. Fingers crossed.

Risk comes with ambition- and I feel the clubs approach is spot- used the budget on a small group of quality players and trust that the younger players can step up to the mark when needed, maybe with a cheaper gamble or two such as Zak Ansah that could just turn out to be inspired.

Surely the younger players will benefit from being around experience ex Prem players..

Agree with this, quality over quantity. Look at 2005/6 when we won this division, the squad was quite small in comparison to others but we had real quality and experience in the right areas. Good players mixed with a few youngsters (Lawson etc) who could fill in for a few games if needed. A strong spine too with tons of experience - a Ferdinand/Turner partnership could be as crucial as Prior/Edwards (and latterly Sodje) was back then. Every successful team needs goalscorers (Eastwood in 2005/6, Cox plays that role for us today) and LEADERS. In 2005/6 Prior, Edwards, Maher etc were so influential on the pitch - in Ferdinand, Turner and Leonard (if he stays) this team also has big players who can lead by example. If Kightly signs and Lenny stays then I'm feeling very optimistic about our chances this year.

Add Nile Ranger to that list

I always thought it was a big mistake letting Kightly go-reminder,we preferred to keep James Lawson!-
and I think he would be a good signing-but PLEASE don't keep labelling him MK-those two letters have execrable connotations.

Back