• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricey

I’m a Mod, that’s unpossible⭐⭐
Staff member
According to CP, absolutely no hope in hell of us signing Kightly.

Firstly he wouldn't want to drop down to league one and secondly no way could we ever afford his wages.

Think this is Brown's way of saying he is busy in trying to aim high to recruit players, but agree no chance of this happening

With respect, we'd all have said that about Cox before he signed. More likely to go to Ipswich than us though I think.

Not a chance we'll get him this summer I would have thought. Nice to see a bit of ambition but get the impression that PB is just humouring CP and playing his cards close to his chest given that the only two players we've been linked with are McCormack and Kightly.

I think we'd have a job on our hands but I don't see it as out of the question. With new stadium plans and aim for promotion next season, I think we'd be a good sell to him. Not to mention the fact that I think people underestimate the pull that moving back home could be for him.

I think we'd have a job on our hands but I don't see it as out of the question. With new stadium plans and aim for promotion next season, I think we'd be a good sell to him. Not to mention the fact that I think people underestimate the pull that moving back home could be for him.

What he said.

Never under estimate the lure of coming to play at home.

A decent 2 year deal and a first team spot could make a huge difference.

All due respect to Burton Albion as a championship club, but I doubt their wage structure is vastly superior to ours.

Depends on if he classes the area as home or not.

No idea if he is married, but if he is currently living somewhere his partner comes from for example then moving back here, a place he may not have lived in for a decade might not actually be attractive.

The last thing we need is to start signing ex-rejects like Kightly and Hooper

Very true, I think everyone would agree the only ex-player we should even be considering is Nicky Nicolau, and sadly we werent a big enough club for him.

What he said.

Never under estimate the lure of coming to play at home.

A decent 2 year deal and a first team spot could make a huge difference.

All due respect to Burton Albion as a championship club, but I doubt their wage structure is vastly superior to ours.

I think Burnley would have been subsidising his wages during that loan spell at Burton to be fair.
Still a good player, but I can't see how this is a sustainable transfer policy.

I think Burnley would have been subsidising his wages during that loan spell at Burton to be fair.
Still a good player, but I can't see how this is a sustainable transfer policy.

Its simple. We have a budget. If we can have a slightly smaller squad but can afford a higher quality of player then i'm all for that.

Id rather spend big on a Kightly who would be a fair step up on what we have then just get in the likes of hines, nouble mooney etc whos combines wage exceeds that of Kightlys and they don't play.

If we are serious about being a top 6 side then we need a high calibre of player

Depends on what other offers he has. Burton in front of 4k fans and a season of struggle in the Championship or back here in front of 8k fans with the prospect of a very good go at auto promotion or play offs at least. I would also imagine that the wages would be pretty similar?

If he has other championship offers then we have no chance.

It does no harm at all for other players to see us associated with interest in a number of players at a higher level- and even better when we already have some here. So even if PB thinks he has zero chance the back page headline and social media traffic is great free PR as we seek to persuade others to come or stay.

He may be a creosote skinned northern sex monkey, but if Brown thinks he's got a chance with Keira Knightley, he's deluded. :unsure:

Blues boss Brown keen to snap up Kightly

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown is keen on bringing Michael Kightly back to the club.

More...

Depends on what other offers he has. Burton in front of 4k fans and a season of struggle in the Championship or back here in front of 8k fans with the prospect of a very good go at auto promotion or play offs at least. I would also imagine that the wages would be pretty similar?

If he has other championship offers then we have no chance.

Burton do have quite amazing facilities which is one reason they're able to attract good players on somewhat lower-than-expected wages.

Back