• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

16th August, 1975 vs Sheffield Wednesday.

It was Wednesday's first game in the third tier. Expecting a bumper away turnout, they had the North Bank. I went with my dad and grandad (the only time the three of us went to a game) and not realising the change went into the wrong end. We had to be moved to the South, so my first experience at Roots Hall saw me get pitch side. Lol.

We were a goal down at half time. It kicked off during the break. Someone (possibly my cousin) threw a bottle of their keeper (Peter Fox, on debut) at the beginning of the second half. The whole thing was pretty scarey for an 8 year old.

Stuart Brace got a brace, and we won 2-1.

Sure some our older (than me) fans may remember it.

As a result of the trouble, my mum put her foot down and wouldn't let me go again. My dad convinced her it would be ok, and she relented by the end of January, where we played (and beat) Brighton in the FA Cup (4th Rd, I think). It kicked off there as well. I wasn't allowed back for some time after that.

After we beat Sheff Wed in the first game of that season, I really believed it was going to be our season. As it was relegation was just round the corner - at Sheffield Wednesday in the last game of the season - it was us or them.

Brighton was the third round, Cardiff the fourth round and Derby the fifth.

We should have been too good to go down.

I have no idea. All I know is my mates dad used to take us sometimes on a Friday night in his Austin allegro ( approx 1978). It was always cold and we had to take our coats off in the car “ to feel the benefit ‘ when we got out. It was a real treat but to be honest it was more to do with h going out than to he football. I didn’t become hooked for another 30 years when I started taking my son ( who no longer goes)

First game was Southend 2-2 Portsmouth, August 28, 1961.
First game I was allowed to go on my own: Southend 1-1 Bournemouth, August 1963 - first game of the season, and that's when supporting Blues really took off.
Most of that campaign, I waited outside after to collect autographs. Was always a good day if I got six, seven or more of both sides. First game I was allowed to go away was QPR 4-5 Southend, January 1964. It teemed, and the gate was not many over 4,000. For a long time, it was Rangers lowest gate at Loftus Road.
For obvious reasons, 1963-4 is as fresh as yesterday.

16th August, 1975 vs Sheffield Wednesday.

It was Wednesday's first game in the third tier. Expecting a bumper away turnout, they had the North Bank. I went with my dad and grandad (the only time the three of us went to a game) and not realising the change went into the wrong end. We had to be moved to the South, so my first experience at Roots Hall saw me get pitch side. Lol.

We were a goal down at half time. It kicked off during the break. Someone (possibly my cousin) threw a bottle of their keeper (Peter Fox, on debut) at the beginning of the second half. The whole thing was pretty scarey for an 8 year old.

Stuart Brace got a brace, and we won 2-1.

Sure some our older (than me) fans may remember it.

As a result of the trouble, my mum put her foot down and wouldn't let me go again. My dad convinced her it would be ok, and she relented by the end of January, where we played (and beat) Brighton in the FA Cup (4th Rd, I think). It kicked off there as well. I wasn't allowed back for some time after that.
Stuart Brace had left the club , new signing Stuart Parker and Dave Cunningham scored for us , it was Dave Smiths first game in charge . World Cup winner Jackie Charlton was Wednesdays manager that day .

Stuart Brace had left the club , new signing Stuart Parker and Dave Cunningham scored for us , it was Dave Smiths first game in charge . World Cup winner Jackie Charlton was Wednesdays manager that day .

Am I right in thinking he scored the goal in my first game v Aldershot in Dec 1974

I thought Brace was still here for that season. Chris Guthrie had gone to Sheffield United in the summer, but we had Bracey for one more season, I'm sure.

Actually, just checked. Stuart Brace did play, but you're right, he didn't score. Goals credited to Dave Cunningham and Alan Moody.

Southend United 2-1 Scunthorpe United, September 14th 1985.

I am fairly certain Richard Cadette was one of the scorers - not sure where I could check that online so the answer may have to wait until I get home.

A bumper crowd of 2,895, and I await a certain comment from a certain Mr Firestorm...

October 1967 Aldershot 1 1 Chisnall. 50 years ago...

I also recall a popular poster on here’s first game . It involved standing on a box :winking:

Told you... :smile:

Southend 0 Newport 4 - Sept 4, 1981

First home game of the new season after winning the Div 4 title. It was a Friday night match and, as a seven-year-old, I still remember the excitement of running up the steps and seeing the pitch looking amazingly bright under the lights.

All I recall of the game is a young John Aldridge scoring Newport's first goal and then going off injured. Tommy Tynan was also playing for Newport. Despite being thrashed, we ended up doing pretty well that season, finishing seventh, while Newport were 16th.

It was a Friday night match and, as a seven-year-old, I still remember the excitement of running up the steps and seeing the pitch looking amazingly bright under the lights.

That's exactly my memory back in 1968. Just going through the turnstile at the top of the South Bank and looking down on the floodlit pitch, looking immaculate. I can still picture it now in my mind. That and the tannoy announcing the teams. The chatter in the crowd and those smells at football of pipe-smoke, burgers and the like that you used to get.

How you remember these things Si is beyond me. I can't remember what I done yesterday :stunned:

Dave Elliott, looking at the club history 'Riggers'.

Thanks maybe he scored v QPR in the cup or has that name just stuck because I played with a Paul Brace who you must know.

The chatter in the crowd and those smells at football of pipe-smoke, burgers and the like that you used to get.

Exactly. Even now, whenever I walk behind somebody who's smoking, it takes me straight back to standing on the terraces at Roots Hall.

Exactly. Even now, whenever I walk behind somebody who's smoking, it takes me straight back to standing on the terraces at Roots Hall.

Me too. Funny how things like that just trigger memories from years back.

My first game was home to Bristol Rovers on Saturday 12 February 1966. I was 14 and went with three mates from school. Up until then I went to see Spurs with my Dad. We won 2-0 with goals from Mel Slack and Andie Smillie and that was me hooked. It's funny the things that stick in your head, Smillie missed a pretty simple opportunity in the second half and a wag from the North Bank shouted out "What's the matter Andy, is she taking too much out of you?" That raised a wry smile from Andy. According to our records, we were part of a 6,311 gate. Strange thing is the numbers there always seemed to be more than the announced gate. Must have been my imagination.:winking:

Thanks maybe he scored v QPR in the cup or has that name just stuck because I played with a Paul Brace who you must know.

From experience Riggers, ask sosborne, he seems to soak up everything Southend United going back 100 years. Old fart :smile:

All joking apart, he's very knowledgeable.

Am I right in thinking he scored the goal in my first game v Aldershot in Dec 1974

Just checked the History - says it was Dave Elliott 1-1 on 23 December, 5326. 3 days later on Boxing Day we drew 1-1 at Palace in front of 21652 Peter Sylvester scoring.

Me too. Funny how things like that just trigger memories from years back.

Yes I was standing in the freezing cold on my own waiting for someone at about 18:00 tonight. Took me back to RH in the early mid 80's on a Monday night......Remember them.

This thread made me curious, so I went for a rummage.

Conclusion: No idea either.

I went to a few games before my earliest match day programme (which I found out to be Southend United V Swansea City on Friday September 12th, 1986). I would have been 9 years old at the time.

Also according to the programme's i found, my 1st ever away match was V Leyton Orient on Saturday October the 4th 1986.

Flicking through them, sends me way back, and iv'e realised for the first time, that for the first dozen or so of home programmes, they are all either Friday night or Tuesday night fixtures.

Which makes sense to me now, as my earliest memories of Roots Hall are with me & my late father, wrapped up warm, yet still freezing under the floodlights in the east stand, with a cup of hot chocolate & a bag of boiled sweets.... and falling asleep in the back of the car on the way home trying to read the programme under the dim lit motorway lights.

My dad, used to have this weird ritual, where he would buy me a programme, but I was only allowed to look at the front page, and the team sheet at the back. Reading was only permitted at half time (when he went off to get the snacks) or in the car on the way home. Now i'm in my 40's with children, it makes sense to me, I would be right p1ssed off, if I paid to for my son to attend a match and he just read the programme for the entire 90 minutes, on not focus on the game. I would probably just drop him off at the library instead, if he was that interested in reading, over watching us play :smile:

Back