• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How in the hell do you chaps remember all these games? I honestly can't remember any of them but was probably there.

Stuart Brace had left the club , new signing Stuart Parker and Dave Cunningham scored for us , it was Dave Smiths first game in charge . World Cup winner Jackie Charlton was Wednesdays manager that day .

Just checked more records.

Stuart Parker scored on his debut and Moody got the second. Steve Burtenshaw was their manager until October when Len Ashurst took over for a year before Jack was appointed in October 77. He was still their manager when we played them 3 times in the cup in Jan 83 as Dave Smith as still ours.

Arthur Rowley was still manager in August 75 until we got relegated and Dave Smith took over in May 76. Stuart Brace definitely played and I reckon Jock Cunningham was an unused sub.

I thought Brace was still here for that season. Chris Guthrie had gone to Sheffield United in the summer, but we had Bracey for one more season, I'm sure.

Actually, just checked. Stuart Brace did play, but you're right, he didn't score. Goals credited to Dave Cunningham and Alan Moody.
I reckon it was Parker and Moody . Rowley was still manager.

I stand corrected , I wrote the reply in between of watching about The Mary Rose on BBC 4 .

Southend United 2-1 Scunthorpe United, September 14th 1985.

I am fairly certain Richard Cadette was one of the scorers - not sure where I could check that online so the answer may have to wait until I get home.

A bumper crowd of 2,895, and I await a certain comment from a certain Mr Firestorm...

Cadette and Steve Phillips

my first game was so far back Southend V Millwall, their goalkeeper was Alec Stepney ,we lost 3-0 or 3-1 cant remember the score,Millwall went on to win the league, Harry Threadgold was our goalie, and we had SamMcCrory ,Roy Hollis and Kevin Baron playing for us.not sure of the year back in the 50s,53 i think.I along with a few friends climbed over the wall into the gents toilets to get in as we didnt have 6pence between the lot of us .big crowd off about 10000 at that game.

1984 - Free vouchers in the Echo for kids so we went along to............
An FA Cup 1st Round Essex derby!! Southend 2 -2 Colchester in front of a massive crowd of 2,935. Listened to the replay on BBC Essex - lost 3-2. Loved it (other than the result, hooked from there)

Alex Stepney joined Millwall in 1963 and played at Roots Hall in 1965 when they won 2-0 and got promoted.

Threadgold Baron Hollis and McCrory would have been between 55 and 58 when we always seemed to beat them in Div 3 South. They went into Division 4

Off the top of my head I believe that was Steves 100th league goal .

Maybe his 150th- I hated him when he was at Brentford - but he was great for us. "Inchy Phillips" scored over 200 league goals altogether, 66 in 158 games for us.

Maybe his 150th- I hated him when he was at Brentford - but he was great for us. "Inchy Phillips" scored over 200 league goals altogether, 66 in 158 games for us.
That was his last but one for us , he was shipped off to Torquay a couple of weeks later .

How in the hell do you chaps remember all these games? I honestly can't remember any of them but was probably there.

Simple Leo, it's an aging thing. The older you are the further back you can remember. As to what I did yesterday, what dinner looked like or why I wake up early, well that's another matter.:smiles:

Yep, apologies 'LB'. You're right. I knew Si had got one of the scorers right and I chose the wrong one.:blush:
As I said I was watching about The Mary Rose on BBC4 , I don't know why but I thought it was next season when Southend beat Watford on the first game of the season when Parker and Cunningham scored .

I make you right. Same scoreline, as well, 2-1.

As 75-76 progressed, Parker teamed up more with Peter Silvester and I think Stuart Brace made less appearances and was on the bench a couple of times, hence why, like you say, he left at the end of the season.

Went to quite a few games in 75-76, but missed that Sheffield Wednesday game. Looks like I missed a good one.

Last edited:
After we beat Sheff Wed in the first game of that season, I really believed it was going to be our season. As it was relegation was just round the corner - at Sheffield Wednesday in the last game of the season - it was us or them.

Brighton was the third round, Cardiff the fourth round and Derby the fifth.

We should have been too good to go down.

Just looking at the end of that season, Google came up with the prgramme page from the Wrexham match. This was two days before the final game at Hillsborough :-

I think if we'd have beaten Wrexham, a draw would have been enough in the final match. As it goes, we drew 2-2, so it became winner takes all at Hillsborough. Over 25,000 there.

Ps, btw, Check out those "large reductions" in the club shop sale!

Pps, What's a "Car Swinger"? .. Sounds fun!

_1341178_orig.jpg

Last edited:
10th October 1986
Friday night
Roots Hall
1-1 vs Colchester
My 9th birthday was the following day
Hooked ever since
All my friends at school "supported" Liverpool , Man Utd whilst I WENT to watch the team I supported, my local team, with my father who went previously. My father and I still sit together now .., as does my nephew who has now been going for around 9 years

At home to Luton town 1993. Home win, a sussex screamer and relegation avoided. Throw in Collymores last game and being live on TV and I was hooked.

14th Sep 1990
Blues 3 Preston 2
John Cornwall with a last minute screamer in front of the north bank to win it (Dave Martin and Ian Benjamin with the others)
The start (well a few games into the start) of a very historic season :)

Southend United 2-1 Scunthorpe United, September 14th 1985.

I am fairly certain Richard Cadette was one of the scorers - not sure where I could check that online so the answer may have to wait until I get home.

A bumper crowd of 2,895, and I await a certain comment from a certain Mr Firestorm...

Just checked the line-up.

Stannard, Stead, Lampard, O'Shea, Westley, Hatter, Clark, Silkman, Cadette, Phillips, Pennyfather.

Cadette and Phillips the scorer. Scunny's goalie had a nervous tic as well.

"Twitch-twitch, twitch-twitch, twitch-twitch, la-la-la"

Back