• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

FA Cup Round 1 Draw

I agree with Dubai on this one.

You have 5 ex players who achieved an awful lot in the game. Scholes, a true football fan has watched Salford games for years and him and the rest of them brought the club. Then Gary Neville persuaded a contact/friend with big financial oomph to buy 50% of the club and bankroll them into the league. I can't see there would be many people who would be unhappy with that happening at their club! High profile owners like them would be stupid not to use their standing in the game to attract interest and money.

Billericay on the other hand is a Glen Tamplin vanity project, he is the rich version of a reality TV star. Instead of going on Big Brother he's brought a football club and wants as much of the limelight as he can get.

Nobody wants a Tamplin, but a lot of people would want the class of 92

The only difference between them and the Tamplin circus is that as far as I know they don’t need urgent intervention from mental health professionals. Scholes is a lifelong Oldham fan; he had nowt to do with Salford. It’s still a vanity project/business investment involving the artificial financial doping of a village team. There’s not a jot of romance about it, as the Braintree fans who got assaulted by them last week will attest.

Bang on there, johnny stokes Neither of those clubs endears themselves to the rest of the non-league fraternity and with Salford it's just as much a vanity project for the Utd lads as with Tamplin at Ricay. Naieve to think otherwise.

The only difference between them and the Tamplin circus is that as far as I know they don’t need urgent intervention from mental health professionals. Scholes is a lifelong Oldham fan; he had nowt to do with Salford. It’s still a vanity project/business investment involving the artificial financial doping of a village team. There’s not a jot of romance about it, as the Braintree fans who got assaulted by them last week will attest.

Hopefully one day one of those London bankers will help your village team.

In a future world, it would be like Eastwood, Goater and Maher taking over Great Wakering. I think that would have my backing.

Hopefully one day one of those London bankers will help your village team.

In a future world, it would be like Eastwood, Goater and Maher taking over Great Wakering. I think that would have my backing.

As a Southend fan(?) that may have your backing but as a Great Wakering fan?

And these "projects" often end in tears when the owners get bored or the money runs out.

cf Rushden and Diamonds, Thurrock FC and Colne Dynamos.

And these "projects" often end in tears when the owners get bored or the money runs out.

cf Rushden and Diamonds, Thurrock FC and Colne Dynamos.

Massively unfair to include Thurrock with those other two clubs. Very little in common.

5 years since that win at Morecambe in round 1. After that Phil Brown appeared to literally not give a toss about the FA Cup, some of the worst team performances under Brown all came in the 1st round ties.
Because of this I'm more excited that Chris Powell might try and get us past this stage.
I'm one for a 'banana skin' so any great non-league away tie like Alfreton or St Neots would be good.
Don't want any other league one team or the likes of Bi$$ericay or Sal$ford, not because I don't want to see us lose to them but because they get enough exposure of their bull**** already and if we're still somewhere near the top end of league 1 by November 10th you know it'll be put on TV.
Big money for TV games even at 1st round stage. I'm sure Ron would welcome that.

Harrogate was well received. Maidenhead is a lovely jaunt as well. Halifax and Wrexham for much-missed away days.

Solihull and Barrow particularly grim.
Wouldn't mind Barrow away in the FA cup. At least it would be a one off game, unlike yourselves who will have to keep going there year after year.

Surely you meant Hornchurch and not Thurrock?

I thought Thurrock Fc folded?, when the owner sold their stadium due to ill health and contacted the Bostik League to advise them in advance. I might be wrong, but I thought there was a thread about this a while ago i think in the general football forum.

https://www.thurrockgazette.co.uk/s...son-there-will-be-no-thurrock-fc-next-season/

http://www.isthmian.co.uk/thurrock-fc-48738

Maybe you were thinking about East Thurrock FC?

Ah yes, Peter Lim, that Salfordian billionaire done good helping his plucky little local club and their 2,500-strong loyal, long-standing supporter base compete with the big boys of the National League armed only with fawning BBC Documentaries, £350,000 strikers and League One regulars on £4,000+ a week. Such a fairytale.

Didn't hear of any Borient fans complaining when they were signing players on ridiculous wages a couple of years ago. How it made me laugh when it all went wrong.

Wouldn't mind Barrow away in the FA cup. At least it would be a one off game, unlike yourselves who will have to keep going there year after year.

Perhaps. We might save ourselves from that by getting relegated again, I suppose.

Didn't hear of any Borient fans complaining when they were signing players on ridiculous wages a couple of years ago. How it made me laugh when it all went wrong.

You weren’t listening very hard, then.

I never claimed Scholes was a Salford fan, I said he was a football fan and that he watched Salford, apparently after his retirement he was seen down there quite a lot long before the 5 of them brought the club. Plus he was born in Salford and grew up in Salford, he has a affinity for the club. I support Southend but I am from Chelmsford and watch them on occasion, I certainly have a soft spot for them.

Surely you meant Hornchurch and not Thurrock?

I really just referred to them as an example of what happens when the primary backer decides (or is forced) to pull out and is not replaced. I agree that Hornchurch would have been a good example though. And in the case of R&D I think Mr Griggs did his best to help the fans keep the club going, (As I understand) basically handing it over to them.

So I wasn't necessarily implying they were all vanity projects just that clubs with rich backers but a lowish fanbase are often in trouble when the backers go for whatever reason.

Back